• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
That's probably because current Ryzen's are built on a Samsung 3Ghz process, its actually a mobile process, its why they don't overclock well, very power efficient (like the 3Ghz 1700 8 core sipping a tiny 60 Watts or so....) its not a good process for clocks.
You can get about 4Ghz or slightly more out of them but after that the volts needed to keep them stable only work under LN2

Ryzen 2 is built on Samsung's 5Ghz process. that's why....
No read about these Samsung processes before mate, got a link? Would be really interested to read about it

Soldato
I didn't do anything other than run it at it's stock XMP and then downclock it.

My Gskill 3200 C14 runs at a slight voltage increase of 1.37V and I boot it at 1.4V. I admit I have not looked at running it stock voltage since the AGESA 1.0.0.6 bios but certainly it was resetting to 2133 before then at the stock voltages from the 'XMP' settings.

Ram will always accept a higher voltage than stock and it is one of the small foibles of this platform that a higher voltage is probably required to get the overclocked ram frequency.

Soldato
No read about these Samsung processes before mate, got a link? Would be really interested to read about it

https://www.globalfoundries.com/sit...oundries-14nm-collaboration-press-release.pdf

Developed by Samsung and licensed to GLOBALFOUNDRIES, the 14nm FinFET process is based on a technology platform that has already gained traction as the leading choice for high-volume, power-efficient system-on-chip (SoC) designs. The platform taps the benefits of three-dimensional, fully depleted FinFET transistors to overcome the limitations of planar transistor technology, enabling up to 20 percent higher speed, 35 percent less power and 15 percent area scaling over industry 20nm planar technology.

Soldato
Does anyone have the 16GB 3200MHz CL14 G.Skill Trident Z? I booted my new system up last night and tried to enable DOCP and it failed to boot - anyone got any settings to get it running at or around the 3200MHz mark?

Board is an X370 Asus Prime

Cheers.

Soldato
Does anyone have the 16GB 3200MHz CL14 G.Skill Trident Z? I booted my new system up last night and tried to enable DOCP and it failed to boot - anyone got any settings to get it running at or around the 3200MHz mark?

Board is an X370 Asus Prime

Cheers.

Are you running the latest BIOS for the board?

I thought the G.Skill stuff was one of the few Ryzen friendly memory modules.

If it doesn't work at 3200Mhz, it's probably be fine at 3066Mhz.

---

My corsair LPX does the same Hynix chips however. Doesn't work at 3200Mhz. Even with 1.4v dram and ProcODT 60ohms. However it is stable at 3066Mhz.

Soldato
Are you running the latest BIOS for the board?

I thought the G.Skill stuff was one of the few Ryzen friendly memory modules.

If it doesn't work at 3200Mhz, it's probably be fine at 3066Mhz.

---

My corsair LPX does the same Hynix chips however. Doesn't work at 3200Mhz. Even with 1.4v dram and ProcODT 60ohms. However it is stable at 3066Mhz.

I don't think I am, I got it booted but didn't get much chance to play around with the PC as my fibre internet decided it wanted to run at 0.35Mbps :p I'll run the BIOS update when I get in (I've had to download it and the drivers at work), but would it as simple as enabling DOCP and done?

Soldato
I don't think I am, I got it booted but didn't get much chance to play around with the PC as my fibre internet decided it wanted to run at 0.35Mbps :p I'll run the BIOS update when I get in (I've had to download it and the drivers at work), but would it as simple as enabling DOCP and done?

As I have posted before. I have my Gskill (Ripjaws V) 3200 C14 running on DOCP, but I needed to raise the volts to 1.37V and I boot the ram at 1.4V (if you have that option).

1.35V or lower was a bit sporadic. Ensure you set the voltage even with DOCP.

Soldato

Technically yes. Although mine after a few months blue screened on me.

Like I said above my 3200Mhz ram will run at 3066Mhz but I also had to up the voltages and set the ProcODT to get it stable.

I suggest you also test stability with a program like HCI.

HCI Memtest. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

An instance needs to be opened for each individual thread, covering a total of 90-95% of memory giving the OS a little breathing room.

As an example Ryzen 7 1700 - 16GB RAM

16 instances with 850MB per instance

400% with no errors.

Soldato
My 8 pack Team memory (also B die) is running 3200 at 1.368V (pretty sure this is just set to 1.35V in BIOS though?) so you may need to up volts slightly

Permabanned
My Gskill 3200 C14 runs at a slight voltage increase of 1.37V and I boot it at 1.4V. I admit I have not looked at running it stock voltage since the AGESA 1.0.0.6 bios but certainly it was resetting to 2133 before then at the stock voltages from the 'XMP' settings.

Ram will always accept a higher voltage than stock and it is one of the small foibles of this platform that a higher voltage is probably required to get the overclocked ram frequency.

I didn't touch voltages, I never do, That said I've never had to in the past so maybe it needed a voltage tweak for 3200 but it wouldn't have for the lower speeds I tried it at. I've sent it all back now apart from the case and cpu AIO.

Associate
What kind of voltage scaling do your chips have?
My 1700 seems to have the auto voltage at 1.187v and seems stable at 3.6Ghz with 1.15v (LLC2) and 3.8Ghz with 1.3v (LLC2).

Back
Top Bottom