• iPhone 8 Plus 64Gb

Votes: 31 12.9%
  • iPhone 8 Plus 256Gb

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 150 62.2%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Good detail comparison here from that DXO review, shame they skipped the 7 though

w2Uk20b.png

I’m seeing a lot of places skip the 7 and in particular the 7+ on comparisons, not surprising really as most of the features I’ve seen people pleased with who’ve upgraded from a standard 6 or older are there on the 7’s and even the 6s for some stuff like 3D Touch.

My girlfriend got her 8 today and I got my used 7+ and I hand on heart prefer mine but a fair comparison I guess would have been with the 8+.

Soldato
Hi guys, currently struggling to decide what to do as I am now due an upgrade over my 64gb 6S+ with EE.

I currently pay £40 a month (£54.99 per month with 30% friends and family discount added) for the 10gb 4g plan (originally with £129 upfront for the phone).

I'm looking at the annual upgrade deals as they seem quite good with my discount and nothing up front for the phones, it works out as either £51 per month for the 8+ or £47.50 for the 8.

So to my questions:

1. Is it even worth upgrading from my 6s+? I'm currently happy with it and it does everything I use it for adequately (mainly heavy internet and music streaming useage, some gaming and a lot of photos of my kids) - would I notice the difference? Anyone else done this swap?
  2. If I do upgrade, should I go for the 8 or the 8+? Whilst I enjoy the screen area of my 6s+ I do find myself struggling to reach some parts of the screen with one hand, and holding it with one hand horizontally can be uncomfortable - but would I miss the screen area and also the dual lens camera? Has anyone else gone from a big phone to small?
  3. Considering my friends and family discount, are there any better deals out there? I did have a look at the apple upgrade program but couldn't find any sim only deals that matched my current 10gb of data for less than £14 a month on a 12 month contract, which made it cost more than both my current plan and upgrade plans when added together. Just asking incase I'm missing out on anything better.
I don't really use much in the way of minutes (less than 100 a month) and my text useage is usually over imessage or whatsapp so that's low too. I only ever really use data.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm just trying to look for excuses to talk myself into it. I don't need an upgrade, but it would be nice to have one.

Many thanks all!

Soldato
Caporegime
  1. Is it even worth upgrading from my 6s+? I'm currently happy with it and it does everything I use it for adequately (mainly heavy internet and music streaming useage, some gaming and a lot of photos of my kids) - would I notice the difference? Anyone else done this swap?
  2. If I do upgrade, should I go for the 8 or the 8+? Whilst I enjoy the screen area of my 6s+ I do find myself struggling to reach some parts of the screen with one hand, and holding it with one hand horizontally can be uncomfortable - but would I miss the screen area and also the dual lens camera? Has anyone else gone from a big phone to small?
  3. Considering my friends and family discount, are there any better deals out there? I did have a look at the apple upgrade program but couldn't find any sim only deals that matched my current 10gb of data for less than £14 a month on a 12 month contract, which made it cost more than both my current plan and upgrade plans when added together. Just asking incase I'm missing out on anything better.

1. Internet and streaming I doubt you would find much, if any difference. However, I’m sure you would see a difference in gaming with the new GPU on the A11 chip. The camera is also improved to the point of being the best smartphone camera in existence, and the 4K 60fps video could give you some cracking vids of your little ones.

2. I’ve got the plus and I like it, although I find it a bit tiresome to hold through long phone calls. I think I would miss the extra space though when it comes to watching videos. Just a perfect size screen for movies on the go. Also, don’t forget you have dual cameras on the Plus and a full HD screen.

3. Sorry, can’t really comment on deals. I always get a great deal from Virgin, so don’t need to go trawling for better ones as I highly doubt I’d find one.

Soldato
Slinky1989 - Try using this site for mobile contact deals:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/iphone-8-deals/

As for a data sim only deal, Three have 14gb of data unlimited minutes/texts for £14 per month but Mobilephonesdirect do a redemption deal which makes it £8 per month:

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly

You can also use sites like Quidco for cash back deals on allot of these resellers.

Thanks for the links, didn't think of cashback so I'll have a look into that. Good point!

1. Internet and streaming I doubt you would find much, if any difference. However, I’m sure you would see a difference in gaming with the new GPU on the A11 chip. The camera is also improved to the point of being the best smartphone camera in existence, and the 4K 60fps video could give you some cracking vids of your little ones.

2. I’ve got the plus and I like it, although I find it a bit tiresome to hold through long phone calls. I think I would miss the extra space though when it comes to watching videos. Just a perfect size screen for movies on the go. Also, don’t forget you have dual cameras on the Plus and a full HD screen.

3. Sorry, can’t really comment on deals. I always get a great deal from Virgin, so don’t need to go trawling for better ones as I highly doubt I’d find one.

Thanks for the detailed answers, the camera has become more of a priority for me since having kids so would make sense to upgrade based on that alone.

One thing I spotted when doing a comparison on GSM arena was the battery life - I know apple said that battery life was "similar" despite having a lower power battery, but GSM arena quote the battery life as being worse on the 8+ versus the 6s+ in both talk time (21 hours for the 8+ vs 24 for the 6s+) and in music playback (60 hours for the 8+ versus 80 for the 6s+).

I know it's very early days but this concerns me as I use maps quite a lot and also use strava to track my mountain biking which already eats battery life like it's going out of fashion - anyone have any experience of battery life so far especially when using GPS?

Associate
I’m still not sure how I feel about the 8, coming from the 6. As with some, camera and speed is probably the only real upgrade.

Can’t justify the X so I might give S8 a try?

Soldato
Picked mines up in LA this afternoon, opted for an 8 64gb and basically walked in and bought...the X being announced worked in my favour in regards of availability over here during my holidays.

Opted for the Silver (really it's white) and it looks absolutely stunning I must admit, the extra weight feels absolutely fine too.

Ended up paying £569 for the phone due to the exchange rate and the 10% tax out this way. Happy with that saving of £130 though :)

As I'm using a different SIM over here and got my usual SIM at home I'll need to wait until home to set it up properly but looking forward to that. I'm on an S8 currently so need to use the two factor authentication for my iCloud to set it up.

Associate
Either they have massive stock or it's really not selling well.
Managed to get an in store pickup and upgraded from the 7 to 8 Plus (I was just going to go to 7 Plus but makes sense to get the 8 for £200 more).

Soldato
Well there was hardly any que at any phone shops and Apple yesterday so it can’t of been popular. I knew the min the X was announce what the point doing the 8.

should have skipped it make shed loads of X and took £100 off it

Soldato
Well there was hardly any que at any phone shops and Apple yesterday so it can’t of been popular. I knew the min the X was announce what the point doing the 8.

should have skipped it make shed loads of X and took £100 off it

The yields for the OLED displays for the X aren't great apparently, and Samsung are the sole supplier of them - I'm sure they're making as many of them as they can but it won't be nearly enough to meet demand.

Soldato
I don't think it's surprising that there isn't massive ques for the iPhone 8. The hardware might be really good but the design has been basically the same for 4 generations. This is really an iPhone 6sss in terms of design.

Man of Honour
Exactly, it was never going to sell that well. The sort of people ordering an iPhone for launch will all want the X. Not everyone, but the vast majority.

Caporegime
There should have been a bigger gap. Release the 8 now and the X maybe next spring. That would give them time to stock up on screens as well to supply demand. They also may have stolen a lot of potential S9 buyers.

Back
Top Bottom