Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
I've got 3 hue bulbs on the landings as our switches were in dumb places, a bulb in a lamp in the kitchen, 2 bulbs in bedside lights and considering several more.

The landing ones are connected to a smartthings motion sensor so when I walk into the hall after 6:30pm they come on for a minute which is always enough.

All voice controlled with 1 echo and 2 dots.. it's addictive. I just wish I'd done the kitchen spots when they were fitted.. got talked into fixed bulb units and now I can't do smart voice stuff which is pushing me towards lightwaverf to switch out the sockets instead. I've got Nest and may well get Ring too so sooner or later it'll all get stitched together in a way that means only I can see or do anything in the house lol.

Next time there's a deal on lightstrips I'll be going with a bunch of them and I probably need about another 4 or 5 lamps.

I've got a mixture of Hue and Innr which are hue compatible, can't tell the difference to be honest.. not done any colour, never struck me as something I wanted but I will go with colour on the strips behind the TV in time :)

Definitely the future.

Soldato
I'm looking in to Hue for a couple of inside lights which are straight forward, but a some aspects of installation have left me with some questions.

I'd like to have an outside light that comes on at dusk and goes off at 11pm. I've seen this which looks like it will do the on, but can I handle the off?

Soldato
I'm looking in to Hue for a couple of inside lights which are straight forward, but a some aspects of installation have left me with some questions.

I'd like to have an outside light that comes on at dusk and goes off at 11pm. I've seen this which looks like it will do the on, but can I handle the off?
the hue app can handle the off. I use the sunset IFTTT too.

Soldato
For those that make use of the dimmer remotes this is a good app, lets you re-program the remote to have lots of extra fucntionality. I have two groups of lights in the main living room, ceiling and a collection of lamps. I can now use the same remote to control each group independently.

What is a good app?

Soldato
OP
Soldato
^I'd be keen to see this too.

Speaking of nanoleaf, I just got in on the beta for a new remote they've got coming out. Looks like a 12 sided die. Not sure how it's going to work!

Soldato
Right i want to get some Hue bulbs, something really putting me off is the thought of still having the original switch.
The hue dimmer seems to only be designed with americans in mind in that you can remove the switch choc block the wires and cover with the hue dimmer.

What are people on here doing? I can fit a blanking plate and stick the hue remote to it.

Soldato
Right i want to get some Hue bulbs, something really putting me off is the thought of still having the original switch.
The hue dimmer seems to only be designed with americans in mind in that you can remove the switch choc block the wires and cover with the hue dimmer.

What are people on here doing? I can fit a blanking plate and stick the hue remote to it.
I've not found the wall switches to be a pain tbh, hallways are setup to fire from motion sensors, living rooms have the dimmers on the coffee table and bedrooms have the dimmers mounted by the bed.

What would be good though if Hue offered a high quality version of this:- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1454110

Soldato
I've not found the wall switches to be a pain tbh, hallways are setup to fire from motion sensors, living rooms have the dimmers on the coffee table and bedrooms have the dimmers mounted by the bed.

What would be good though if Hue offered a high quality version of this:- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1454110

Yes that would be what I want.
Otherwise I would have to explain to everyone that you can't touch the switches. Not to mention it would drive me insane having a pointless switch in each room. Suppose I could chop them off and plaster over them but that's a bit too permanent.

Soldato
Yes that would be what I want.
Otherwise I would have to explain to everyone that you can't touch the switches. Not to mention it would drive me insane having a pointless switch in each room. Suppose I could chop them off and plaster over them but that's a bit too permanent.
You could swap the wall switches with these, I know someone who has done this to stop their family from turning the lights off at the wall. :p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Emergency-Lighting-Double-Switch/dp/B007GMO8W6

Soldato
Recently picked up an e14 bulb when they were 20% off at Amazon, must admit I'm pretty disappointed how dim they are even when at full brightness - compared to the full size E27/B22 bulbs.

Soldato
Recently picked up an e14 bulb when they were 20% off at Amazon, must admit I'm pretty disappointed how dim they are even when at full brightness - compared to the full size E27/B22 bulbs.

That's what has always bothered me and why I've never gone with smart lights. Compared to standard led bulbs they don't really give off much light.

When they reach standard brightness that's when I'll take the plunge.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The Ikea GU10 bulbs are 400 lumen, which is the same as my 'dumb' LED GU10s.

The Hue E14 bulbs look to be 450 lumen vs the 806 lumen of the E27 bulbs. Looking at the numbers, I would expect the E14 to be dimmer!

Soldato
That's what has always bothered me and why I've never gone with smart lights. Compared to standard led bulbs they don't really give off much light.

When they reach standard brightness that's when I'll take the plunge.
Think it's lifx that are a fair bit brighter.

Back
Top Bottom