Amazon Italy Galaxy S8 UK

Associate
Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing the Galaxy S8 from Amazon Italy for €558 which is £498, as it retails for around £580 in the UK however I'm wondering if there is a fault with the phone within 30 days, do I need to speak to Amazon Italy in Italian or could I contact Amazon UK?

Thanks

Soldato
It is £589.99 sold by Amazon and £525 is sold by third party sellers.

Would there be any risk using the third party seller?

I am also looking at this phone and the Midnight Black version from Amazon Germany was showing as no stock till the 28th hence why I would pay a bit more and grab it from the UK. Plus I think you might have to flash the firmware to a UK one to get all the benefits out of the phone, I am not 100% sure on this but I think I have read this somewhere (maybe hotukdeals).

Maybe give amazon a ring and ask them about the warranty situation.

Soldato
Its in the EU show will be fine.
http://www.androidauthority.com/phone-warranties-explained-525998/

International warranty

Some devices come with international warranties, but smartphones can differ significantly from region to region in terms of hardware, so it’s a very dangerous thing to presume.
If you buy an import or pick up a smartphone while on holiday abroad then don’t expect the warranty to be honored in your own country.
You may be expected to ship it back to the country where you bought it to make a claim and that can be prohibitively expensive.
Your mileage may vary on this, but be aware of the risks.

Soldato

It will be honoured by Samsung UK according to what I have read. Phones outside of the EU wont be. If the OP is unsure I would just ring Amazon and find out from them.

Have a read of this thread which is for the German Amazon but mentions the Italian phone needing to be flashed to use all of its features in the UK:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s8-64-gb-arctic-silver-483-amazonde-2792255

Personally I would just buy from a third party reseller off Amazon UK @ £525.

Soldato
It will be honoured by Samsung UK according to what I have read. Phones outside of the EU wont be. If the OP is unsure I would just ring Amazon and find out from them.

Have a read of this thread which is for the German Amazon but mentions the Italian phone needing to be flashed to use all of its features in the UK:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s8-64-gb-arctic-silver-483-amazonde-2792255

Personally I would just buy from a third party reseller off Amazon UK @ £525.

Just because its from third party Amazon UK doesnt mean it'll be a UK device. It'll be another grey import.

Associate
OP
The only problem is that Amazon Germany/Italy live chat and telephone doesn't offer English support, only via email and takes 3-4 days for a reply.

Soldato
Just got a reply from the seller on Amazon (Star com uk):

Hi

It is brand new sealed with all accessories, it is an EU/UK version and covered under manufacturer's warranty for 2 years, it is also sim free factory unlocked to all EU/UK networks

Regards

The price is now £520. Very tempted to go for it.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like a very good price but check out the seller first and try and read some reviews of the seller I purchased a galaxy S8 plus for £540 thinking wow great price, thinking it was a British company only to find out after that they are based in Hong Kong and after reading reviews of the company loads of people have never received the item and had problems obtaining a refund. I just wish I had paid a little more and ordered from a reputable British company.

Soldato
Seems like a very good price but check out the seller first and try and read some reviews of the seller I purchased a galaxy S8 plus for £540 thinking wow great price, thinking it was a British company only to find out after that they are based in Hong Kong and after reading reviews of the company loads of people have never received the item and had problems obtaining a refund. I just wish I had paid a little more and ordered from a reputable British company.

Good shout, I will have a read of their feedback. There are one or two bad feedbacks and mentions of poor service. Hmmm.

They are also listed as being based in London, Acton.

Might be worth paying a bit more and get it from a reputable well known seller. I see on HotukDeals that John Lewis will price match it for £575.

Associate
I was also under the impression that the company I dealt with which is onedigital had a UK based but I only found out after that they are not and as they were operating in China your consumer rights are not protected it's a total scam also if you are purchasing the item from overseas if anything goes wrong with the phone you may have to pay for postage to return the item and the timescale also could be lengthy, unless you are making a considerable saving I wouldn't risk it personally

Soldato
I was also under the impression that the company I dealt with which is onedigital had a UK based but I only found out after that they are not and as they were operating in China your consumer rights are not protected it's a total scam also if you are purchasing the item from overseas if anything goes wrong with the phone you may have to pay for postage to return the item and the timescale also could be lengthy, unless you are making a considerable saving I wouldn't risk it personally

Thanks for the heads up, I think I am going to stick to a well known seller and not risk any potential hassle.

Back
Top Bottom