Man of Honour
[..]
[Hammer restoration video]

Thanks for that. I enjoy watching a skilled person make things, so that's another channel for me to watch.

You might like the "Primitive Technology" channel, which is also about a person making things albeit much further back in time regarding the technology. It's about experimenting with ways in which things could have been made with stone age technology. It looks Neolithic to me, but I'm not an expert in things such as the shape of stone tools. It's all plausible, using only materials gathered within close walking distance. The only modern things he takes in are a pair of shorts and the camera. Everything else is made on site in a way that could have been done in the stone age.

Here's an example video, with him making a wattle and daub hut with a fireplace (and a nice example of a small pit kiln for making the pottery bucket to bring water to use in making the daub).

He makes a more advanced hut later, with a tiled roof and central heating. The forced induction high temperature kiln he made for the pottery tiles might seem too advanced, but it was a stone age invention. Very late stone age (it was what made the bronze age possible), but definitely stone age.

Man of Honour
Skallagrim has done an interesting video on some aspects of sword vs staff fighting. No katanas that can cut reality itself, no magic pommels, no magic ninjas, no superherowarrior who can fight a dozen fighters at a time. A serious look at some aspects of the use of the two weapons, solely in a one on one fight in open ground starting from outside staff range (i.e. the conditions most favourable to the staff wielder).

Soldato
Skallagrim has done an interesting video on some aspects of sword vs staff fighting. No katanas that can cut reality itself, no magic pommels, no magic ninjas, no superherowarrior who can fight a dozen fighters at a time. A serious look at some aspects of the use of the two weapons, solely in a one on one fight in open ground starting from outside staff range (i.e. the conditions most favourable to the staff wielder).

As someone who practices Kendo, I would say the trick to defeating a long staff and any long weapon (if you have a sword) is to attack (we always taught to attack in kendo, not to defend), if you can step in and get close as the long staff begins his attack/swing, the business end of the long staff should fall behind and your shoulder should take the hit (or even be deflected) as you cut in with the sword or whatever weapon you holding.

That said, the condition has to be favourable to you for it to work, like, you need to see it coming.

I wish the video showed what the sword guy could do, since he was mostly defending.

Watching Kendo vs Naginata can be a really interesting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
LOL not the staff thing again - didn't we have some loony poster on here claim that adding even more attackers with swords into the mix simply made it even easier for him to win with his quarterstaff :D

Caporegime
This is hugely impressive!

Musk is a true inspiration. In a world where everything's driven by share prices it's nice ti see someone apply himself to such ludicrous claims and in many cases pull them off too. Check out his talk on TED Talks too, seriously impressive stuff.

Back
Top Bottom