Project CARS 2

Soldato
I'm absolutely loving this, never played a sim racer before so it's a bit of an adjustment and as you would expect i suck hard at it but it's so much fun. I went all in and got myself a logitech g920 with shifter s/h for about £160 and i do not regret it. Its a blast in VR and i feel the progression as i improve, got about 4 hours so far in quick races just trying to get a feel for the gear and the game and it's coming slowly. It took me a little tinkering to get the FFB to feel somewhat 'real' but i imagine i will tinker some more as i get a better handle on the game.

One small gripe i have is having to set my position in every car as i go, i'd have thought that the default position of the avatars head would be a no brainier but i always start out like a foot in front of the avatar and somewhere around the neck region, a small thing but when you are trying it for the first time you are going through all sorts of cars having a play so it can get a bit repetitive doing it over and over.

Think my favourite car so far is the ktm crossbow open top, lots of grip and very chuckable. For fun the honda concept is loadsa revs and lotsa skids :D The one car i cannot drive to save my life is that 1200hp mx5, jesus that thing is lethal when the turbo spools up, any gear straight or corner it just looses grip in an instant; Guess i need to learn how to feather the throttle and catch the back end early on, new skills always come hard at first and then feel like they are the simplest thing in the world!

So the door is open, already annoyed at the pedals/seat on wheels combination and trying to figure out a way to fix the two together so i don't just slide away from the controls as i brake for a corner!

Associate
@Kanifee, there are options to have it (or not) reset the view on each session start, and I'd also recommend to bind a key to the Center VR Headset function (Controls -> Edit Assignments -> Camera & View). Make sure you sit as you would when driving when you use the key.

As for your chair, either get lockable wheels (set for my Maxnomic chair is about 35 quid, considering it) or put something under or behind at least two of your wheels. I'm using an old bathroom mat, folded up ... keeps it just about in place, though it can make the brake still feel a little bit mushy.

Soldato
Agh I'm really tempted, but £45 is a lot when I have PCARS1 to play. Also have that issue with the rolling chair, not to mention my pedals slide on my hardwood floor so they have to be right up against the wall. That means I have to be right up against my desk to reach them as I'm a short-arse!

Soldato
OP
Agh I'm really tempted, but £45 is a lot when I have PCARS1 to play. Also have that issue with the rolling chair, not to mention my pedals slide on my hardwood floor so they have to be right up against the wall. That means I have to be right up against my desk to reach them as I'm a short-arse!
get some 'non slip gripper matt' available in B&M, Home Bargains or web, cut to size then double side foam tape to the base of pedals, win ;)

Associate
Is this game pretty much useless with a controller? I could buy the game and if it grips me I could get myself a wheel and pedals, but buying all at once is a bit of a risk.

It's a sim, not an arcade game like Forza. If you want to play with a controller then just get that.

For simulators like iRacing, Project Cars, and Assetto Corsa you really need a wheel with force feedback for a good experience. Sure, you can technically use a mouse and keyboard or controller, and some people are actually even quite good at that, but yeah ...

Associate
Launch option in steam -vrnomirror to just see it in hmd only
To help multithreading-pthreads 4/6 depending on cpu
A bit more performance but lose some atmosphere -skipcrowds

It's much more playable on controller than the first game, get the game String if you like racing games it's a must have. But be prepared to drop some money on a wheel some time soon...it is much better with a wheel...

Associate
yeah but on my t500 the wheel buttons work as a joypad in menus...I also have a Logitech pad attached which I can use...

I didn't realise the mouse disappeared when I posted it otherwise I would have warned you sorry...

Soldato
I caved and bought it. Won't be able to play for a few days, but hopefully my caster cups and non slip mat will also arrive by then.

Last edited:
Soldato
How's the viewing distance compared to PC1? On my Vive I always struggled with that. I would assume it's going to largely be the same due to the limitations of the display tech?

Soldato
Have
It's much more playable on controller than the first game, get the game String if you like racing games it's a must have. But be prepared to drop some money on a wheel some time soon...it is much better with a wheel...

So, I'm actually finding it more enjoyable in VR than I am in 3440*1440. :eek:

What's the recommendation for a wheel/pedals anyone?

Back
Top Bottom