1440P 21:9 Suggestions needed...

Associate
There's a million threads asking the same thing here, so, I'm gonna ask too ...

I also have been gaming with a dirt cheap 24" 1080p 60hz no-frills monitor for forever, and I now have the budget to go out and buy something a little bit amazeballs.

My wants are pretty much:
  • Gaming
  • 30"+
  • Gaming
  • 21:9
  • It's for Gaming...
  • 1440p
  • Did I mention Gaming?
  • 100+hz
  • Gaming is important...
  • VA or IPS

It's primarily for gaming, FPS and MMO related, with some light OS-based work in VMware Workstation and occasional surfing/youtubing.

Budget ... well, £2,400 for the full system, including monitor, so around £800 for the monitor?

The real differences for me is, I'm choosing a Display and building a system to power it, so it can be FreeSync or Gsync, and I'll buy a card to match!

I'm really tempted by either the AOC Agon AG352UCG or the Samsung cf791 ... thoughts? Suggestions?! Sanity Check please?!

Caporegime
The 35" Agon AG352UCG will probably tick all of your boxes for £750ish. Def go with Gsync + powerful single card. You'll just about manage a Ryzen-based 1080Ti system with the rest too :)

Would last you a good long time :cool:

Soldato
I'll let others recommend a specific monitor but I'll ask if you have used that aspect ratio before.?
For me it didn't seem to work but mine had a limited 1080p vertical height. At least yours should be 1440p.
Some find them good whilst playing games but I would think they come into their own for productivity when multiple pages or applications worth large timelines are used. Your use is primarily games.

The gaming experience is thought to be great but there can still be odd UI issues and cut scenes still in 16.9, thus black bars.

Seems a bit of a marmite aspect ratio with those who love it and others which note its letter box appearance not being for them.

Good luck, especially with it being a panel lottery regardless of how much you spend.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pleased with my Samsung cf791.

Zero backlight bleed, zero dead pixels, great colours thanks to quantum dot backlight tech and superb image quality.

No gsync though unfortunately.

Personally I love the ultrawide aspect ratio, really immersive for gaming. But I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

Soldato
The 35" Agon AG352UCG

Samsung cf791

Torn between these two myself. I pretty much have the same requirements as the OP. Just spoken to a salesman at OcUK who leaned towards the Agon over the Samsung if it was his money, but its a shame it looks so in your face. The Samsung just looks so much better in my opinion, also I trust Samsung as my last two monitors have been Samsung and never let me down. Also deciding if G-Sync is really worth it to me.

I am buying in the next 2-3 weeks so I will let you know what I decide on.

Soldato
Torn between these two myself. I pretty much have the same requirements as the OP. Just spoken to a salesman at OcUK who leaned towards the Agon over the Samsung if it was his money, but its a shame it looks so in your face. The Samsung just looks so much better in my opinion, also I trust Samsung as my last two monitors have been Samsung and never let me down. Also deciding if G-Sync is really worth it to me.

If you desperately want gysnc, go for the agon.

If you aren't so fussed about gsync, I think the Samsung is a better monitor.

Soldato
If you desperately want gysnc, go for the agon.

If you aren't so fussed about gsync, I think the Samsung is a better monitor.

This is the catch as I have no idea if I want G-Sync. Never used it before, so struggling to justify a monitor with something I am not missing at the moment. The higher refresh will open up my games more and let them breathe, which the Samsung will allow for, but do I trust AOC over Samsung for G-Sync which may or may not be all that...unsure?

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies, all!

The 35" Agon AG352UCG will probably tick all of your boxes for £750ish. Def go with Gsync + powerful single card. You'll just about manage a Ryzen-based 1080Ti system with the rest too :)
Would last you a good long time :cool:

Gsync > Freesync? Is the Asus PG348Q im your sig worth the extra notes over one of these two options? Or is the £200 or so better off spent in my Rig?

I'm pleased with my Samsung cf791.
Zero backlight bleed, zero dead pixels, great colours thanks to quantum dot backlight tech and superb image quality.
No gsync though unfortunately.
Personally I love the ultrawide aspect ratio, really immersive for gaming. But I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

Yeah, no Gsync, but I'd throw a Vega 64 at it and enjoy the Freesync instead, thats if Freesync is any cop compared to Gsync. I seem to be reading Freesync is a bit more 'picky' in terms of framerate ranges and Gsync is better at handling out-of-range situations? Feel free to correct me and set me straight here.

I'll let others recommend a specific monitor but I'll ask if you have used that aspect ratio before.?
For me it didn't seem to work but mine had a limited 1080p vertical height. At least yours should be 1440p.
Some find them good whilst playing games but I would think they come into their own for productivity when multiple pages or applications worth large timelines are used. Your use is primarily games.
The gaming experience is thought to be great but there can still be odd UI issues and cut scenes still in 16.9, thus black bars.
Seems a bit of a marmite aspect ratio with those who love it and others which note its letter box appearance not being for them.
Good luck, especially with it being a panel lottery regardless of how much you spend.

No, I've not used 21:9 before but I do get quite a bit out of use out of VMware Workstation with mutliple windows open for VM consoles and web pages for admin pages and so forth. Extra screen real estate is always welcome - I'm planning to run my old 24" as a second monitor for extra workspace for this purpose, too.

I also admit to a certain amount of envy and "wanting the biggest" while I can afford it. This is a one off purchase, that needs to last me a good long while.

I think if you have a 1080Ti already (as in your sig) you'd probably be best off with the AOC simply for Gsync? My simplistic view :)

As I'm in the boat of choosing a GPU to suit the monitor, I'm not sure if that makes this easier or harder, tbh! My last few cards have all been Radeons, I do have an itch to try an Nvidia again (my last was the mighty 8800GTX!), but the Vega 64 seems compelling as a card at its price/performance ratio. Can be had significantly cheaper than a 1080Ti.

Associate
OP
Caporegime
Or is the £200 or so better off spent in my Rig?

I'd personally focus on the rig, and get a Ti-based or Vega64 system for sure (depending on which monitor you go for). I think the Agon and Samsung are going to be equally as good, but I chose the Ti+Gsync route and it's been fantastic tbh.

@tyler_jrb has the Acer Z35P and that uses the same panel as the Agon and he's been more than happy with it (and he came from the Asus PG348).

Associate
OP
Well, just got back from a local retailer who had one of the AOC panels on display, but no stock. It was running Rise of the Tomb rider in native 21:9 1440p, and looked pretty awesome. Unfortunately, the DP wasn't working so on the HDMI cable they had it was stuck at 50Hz with no Gsync. Still was decently smooth with it being powered by a 1080Ti.

Still, there was another 21:9 1440P next to it I was able to tinker with and play some 1440P youtube demos on, very nice, except that it was all filmed in 16:9 so I got a feel for the whole letterboxing effect. It was a little disconcerting.

I've also had a good read through the WSGF list for gaming compatibility. While many games will support 21:9 natively in engine, many, many games seem to have cut scenes in 16:9, and even more disconcertingly HUDs in 16:9 and weirdly games menus and map screens and the like. I recently finished ME: Andromeda, and thinking of the conversations that would have been squeezed... ugh. The final nail was seeing gears of War 4 on a 16:9 1440P IPS 144Hz Gsync monitor. Damn, was it nice. Not the desk-hogging, wrap into your vision that 21:9 offers but still hot damn did it look good.

So, unfortunately, I'm think I'm going for a 16:9 1440P for gaming, and just using my spare 24" 1080P for extra desk space. Really glad I took the time to see one in the flesh, now.

Soooooooooo, 16:9 1440P 144Mhz suggetions, please? :D :D

Soldato
^^^ at least you are better informed before you buy, that is why I asked if you owned one. My son loves the 21:9 that I gave to him, and does not want to swap it for the 27" 16:9 I now have spare.
Each to their own, it is a bit of a marmite aspect ratio. The letterbox look, issues with games and YT vids etc etc etc could not make up for the width, for productivity I did not need. I just kept wondering why the bottom third of my monitor was missing...!
Still mine at 1080p wasn't the best example. Perhaps 1440p might have left a better impression.
I'm happy enough with my 32" 4k 16:9, but it does push the 1080Ti beyond its own limits.

Good luck for as 27" 16:9 144hz, hope that you have a good GPU.

Soldato
So, unfortunately, I'm think I'm going for a 16:9 1440P for gaming, and just using my spare 24" 1080P for extra desk space. Really glad I took the time to see one in the flesh, now.

Soooooooooo, 16:9 1440P 144Mhz suggetions, please? :D :D

Easy. Gsync or Freesync?

If Freesync this
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-236-sa.html
or
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-235-sa.html

For gsync either wait the Samsung C27HG75/C32HG75 as some of us do, otherwise ViewSonic XG2703-GZ or AOC AG271GQ for 2560x1440 IPS 165hz.
You can find good reviews for both of them at @PCM2 website.

Soldato
Well after reading the above I have just ordered the Samsung for myself. I know it does not have G-Sync and its 'only' 100hz, but it ticks every box including looks for me. I have looked online at others with this monitor and a nVidia card and they have not voiced issues.

Looking forward to Tuesday now! :)

Soldato
Well after reading the above I have just ordered the Samsung for myself. I know it does not have G-Sync and its 'only' 100hz, but it ticks every box including looks for me. I have looked online at others with this monitor and a nVidia card and they have not voiced issues.

Looking forward to Tuesday now! :)

There are many Samsung monitors, be more precise which one you ordered.

Back
Top Bottom