Spec Me a £2400 Gaming Rig

Associate
OP
Ok, my Stubborn Intel Bone was making me really look at a 7820x, but there's too much coverage on its short comings in terms of Power Draw, heat output and also those VRM temperature issues the X299 boards have / are suffering.

I was willing to pay the price premium for the 7820x and its board, but not with all these cooling issues too, especially if it means more money spent on a cooling solution and a less than stellar case.

So my Reasonable Bone has kicked in, and I'm re-evaluating Ryzen. Besides speedy memory (thank you for the previous explanation), what else do I need to keep my eyes open for? I assume Nvidia cards are perfectly fine, or would Vega be worth looking at again?

I'm looking particularly at the 8 core 1700/1800 parts...

Soldato
Ok, my Stubborn Intel Bone was making me really look at a 7820x, but there's too much coverage on its short comings in terms of Power Draw, heat output and also those VRM temperature issues the X299 boards have / are suffering.

I was willing to pay the price premium for the 7820x and its board, but not with all these cooling issues too, especially if it means more money spent on a cooling solution and a less than stellar case.

So my Reasonable Bone has kicked in, and I'm re-evaluating Ryzen. Besides speedy memory (thank you for the previous explanation), what else do I need to keep my eyes open for? I assume Nvidia cards are perfectly fine, or would Vega be worth looking at again?

I'm looking particularly at the 8 core 1700/1800 parts...

The Vega 56 cards have just shot up in price by £100ish so not that attractive any more.

Associate
OP
ThreadRipper: quad-channel and 64 PCIe lanes
Ryzen: dual-channel and 24 PCIe lanes

Gotcha. So not a huge deal of true use to myself, then.

I've been reading up on a lot of problems about Ryzen related to VMware Workstation, some with workarounds and some issues with no fixes at present. It's enough to start putting me off Ryzen.

Arrgghh.

It seems like every corner I turn there's drawbacks and issues and problems with any of my possible choices.

Associate
@Arthalen: if Ryzen isn't compatible with your application than you have no choice - it has to be Team Blue CPU :). The only AMD CPU that is compatible at the moment seems to be their Epyc one.
@BongoHunter: yes, there will be more differences than just those two I listed, good you mentioned it

Associate
OP
@Arthalen: if Ryzen isn't compatible with your application than you have no choice - it has to be Team Blue CPU :). The only AMD CPU that is compatible at the moment seems to be their Epyc one.
@BongoHunter: yes, there will be more differences than just those two I listed, good you mentioned it

Oh-tay :(

Time to suck it up then, and stay with the corporate giants of Intel & Nvidia. *Le Sigh*.

Associate
OP
Just out of interest, as Ive got a licence for vmware workstation - what doesn't work with it?

The main culprit seem to be Linux distros, which I'm forseeing problems with typical enterprise OVF deployed appliances - like VCentre! I have other linux distro-based appliances to test in the home lab as well, including a Meru wireless controller, Citrix Netscalers and some HP JetNexus load balancers. So I don't want to really take that risk and end up waiting on either a BIOS update or for Vmware to update Workstation.

Associate
OP
On a seperate note, I think I have a spec I'm reasonably happy with (for now) and the-power-that-be* could be reasoned with to allow the extra budget (£2K for the PC alone) to still get my monitor of choice.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,912.59
(includes shipping: £11.70)

A couple of notes:
  • Yes, it only has 16GB of RAM in Dual Channel. That will be remedied immediately at the next pay-day to 32GB, and then gently grow upto 64GB using 2x8GB kits.
  • The RAM is on the QVL list for the board - hurrah
  • The PSU got a stunning review by JonnyGuru
  • Is there a better Cooler? Will I have clearance issues with populating all the ram slots eventually?
  • About £100ish left for a case .. I could squeeze £130-50ish if I'm really cheeky. Suggestions?
Thoughts?

Associate
Case really depends on what you prefer - looks, silence, airflow, midi tower or bigger etc. I ended up buying Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass because of its great airflow and reviews. But I really like the looks of Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass and Raijintek Asterion Classic. Unfortunately it's more looks than airflow so I had to pass those two. Dozens of cases to pick from, just go through them all and if something catches your eye read a review. Corsair Obsidian or Crystal Series are popular too.

Associate
OP
Case really depends on what you prefer - looks, silence, airflow, midi tower or bigger etc. I ended up buying Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass because of its great airflow and reviews. But I really like the looks of Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass and Raijintek Asterion Classic. Unfortunately it's more looks than airflow so I had to pass those two. Dozens of cases to pick from, just go through them all and if something catches your eye read a review. Corsair Obsidian or Crystal Series are popular too.

I think Airflow is my first priority - perhaps something with three fans in front for maximum airflow input? The Corsair Crystal 460X has caught my eye, as has the Fractal Define Meshify C. Checking out the Phantek cases now though...

Soldato
Is there a better Cooler? Will I have clearance issues with populating all the ram slots eventually?

The Noctua D15S has better Ram compatibility up to 65mm. You can move the fan up on the D15 although you would need a case big enough to allow for the extra fan height. There are other coolers such as the Alpenfohn Brocken 3 and Cryorig R1 Universal that have good Ram clearance.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £189.39
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom