Spec Me a £2400 Gaming Rig

Associate
OP
The Noctua D15S has better Ram compatibility up to 65mm. You can move the fan up on the D15 although you would need a case big enough to allow for the extra fan height. There are other coolers such as the Alpenfohn Brocken 3 and Cryorig R1 Universal that have good Ram clearance.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £189.39
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks for the tip. Air cooling might prove problematic thinking about it, as there will be RAM sticks either side of the CPU socket when fully populated. Need to investigate further.

Associate
It seems air cooling could be a problem considering those heatsinks on Night Hawk sticks. What cooling solution for that Intel you are planning to buy did 8pack suggest to you? AiO with 240/280mm radiator or bigger? I would listen to his advice as he probably tested all high-end CPUs on the market.

Associate
OP
I've just spotted the Cryorig A40 AIO cooler... with its directable fan on top of the CPU block for specifically keeping airflow up around the CPU socket. Thoughts? :)

Soldato
Soldato
It seems air cooling could be a problem considering those heatsinks on Night Hawk sticks. What cooling solution for that Intel you are planning to buy did 8pack suggest to you? AiO with 240/280mm radiator or bigger? I would listen to his advice as he probably tested all high-end CPUs on the market.

Depends on the cooler. All the ones I listed have good Ram compatibility. Some coolers can block off the top pcie slot though which is something to consider. The Noctua D15S should be fine.

Associate
OP
Just thought I'd post back with where I ended up on my purchase, and how the first week has been.

Intel i7 7820x 8c/16t
Noctua D15
Asus Prime x299 Deluxe
16GB 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3Ghz
Zotac 1080Ti
Samsung 256GB 960 Pro M2 SSD
Corsair TX750 PSU
Corsair Crystal 460X case
Asus RoG Swift 27" IPS 1440p Monitor
Roccat Cone mouse

Still to buy:
Further 16GB 2x8 Corsair Cengeane LPX
Creative T40 2.0 Speakers

The build was surprisingly easy, despite the massive amount of options offered by the Motherboard and some difficulty with cable routing on case. The cooler is incredible, and fits really well in the with the LPX Ram although upgrading the memory will most likely mean removing the cooler.

Temps are brilliant, no worries there one little bit. CPU temps don't really push above 45deg with this setup, even in Shadow of Mordor.

The SSD and UEFI bios combination is legendary. Booting into Windows takes bare seconds, program loads are next to instant.

The screen is an absolute joy to behold. A little IPS glow, but nothing that colourful, fast moving G-Sync'd games just completely ignores :D

Speaking of which... Benchmarked Shadow of Mordor at 1440p on absolutely Ultra maxed settings:

Highest FPS: 201 FPS
Average FPS: 141 FPS(!)
Lowest FPS: 67 FPS

It's an absolute joy to play at such graphics quality, with such great responsive frame rates.

Did I pay well over the odds? Yes, yes I did.

Would I do it again? Hell yes.

I'll see if I can get some benchies done comparing this too my old Bloomfield rig. Other than that, thanks for all the advice and seeya in several years when it's time to replace this beast ;)

Back
Top Bottom