Advice on neighbour's howling dog.

Soldato
Some morons only have a dog for protection of either themselves or property. It's not there to be a pet or to be treated as an equal to a human being, unfortunately. Maybe this is the problem?

Soldato
We leave our dog for 9 or so hours on one or two days a week. On those days we get a walker to give a 30 minute walk in the middle of the alone time. He's a small dog and so long as i excercise him in the morning he is already lying in bed when i leave. I like to think he then sleeps till th walker comes, then sleeps again after that until i am home. I know he does get disturbed on some occasions and barks if he hears noises, but otherwise gets by. If your neighbour isn't getting a walker then that is neglect. Offering to walk the dog is a good idea.

Man of Honour
Just something to mention - I'm not saying this is right or wrong....

Dogs get discussed here a lot, and usually it ends up around leaving dogs alone for long periods etc.
In these threads every dog owner talks about how dogs cannot be left alone etc.
I know a lot of people who have dogs.
All work full time.
None employ the services of a pet sitter or dog walker.
Maybe OcUK only accepts registrations from dog owners who just stay home a lot?

Soldato
Are you generous, nasty or a gambler?

What about suggesting one of those pet cam things? Never used one myself, but iirc you can use them via a mobile phone so you can give vocal reassurance, I'm sure you can even get something that dispenses a little treat for the dog whenever you want it to.

If you're generous buy your neighbour one of the above, it's quite a good idea. Although he'll look a right muppet in front of his friends and work colleagues blowing reassuring kisses to his mutt.

pop some dog treats laced with laxatives through the letterbox. he can have fun cleaning up runny dog pop from all over his flat.

If your nasty, before you do the above buy your neighbour a Roomba first :).

If you're a gambler, buy your neighbour another dog to keep it company.

Soldato

Dogs get discussed here a lot, and usually it ends up around leaving dogs alone for long periods etc.
All work full time.

Loads of people do it but that doesn't make it any better for the dogs that are lonely!

Associate
Obvious option is to move somewhere else if you’re renting.

Is the neighbor renting? Usually landlords don’t allow pets so you could speak to the letting agent or landlord.

Some blocks of flats also have ownership come conditions about pets (i.e. you can’t have them) so could also speak to your landlord or the management company for the block about this.

Caporegime

All work full time.

Hence why so many people complain about barking dogs to the point it's mentioned on the .gov.uk website. :/

Associate

All work full time.

Don't really see a problem with this. In an ideal world the dog wouldn't be left alone or only for very short times. However, in the real world people need to work to pay bills.

It does depend on the dog though, if the dog is getting very stressed by staying alone for a long period of time then ways of helping this will need to be looked into (dog walker etc).

Adopt a dog and be sensible with breed, age of dog and dog personality. If suitable this is what I intend to do at some point in the future; might get 2 dogs so they have company and leave them outside when I'm at work (so they can toilet). I will of course need to get a kennel / dog run / shed that can be left open for shelter and with bedding etc. This will likely be better for the dog than being left in a pound and potentially put to sleep; or an animal rescue shelter if they're one of the lucky ones.

Associate
From recent experience the RSPCA won’t be interested if it’s well fed and has annual trips to the vets etc. The council is your only option if talking to them isn’t working. I suggest you pre empty the first council fob off by keeping a ‘noise diary’

Soldato
Firstly, I wouldn't have bothered going to speak to your neighbour. As soon as you do that, it becomes personal in the dog owners eyes. You also don't know how they will react.

Don't even bother recording your evidence as if you report the noise to the council, your evidence will not be used.

Speak to your neighbours. Ask if they have observed the dog noise/howling. Give them the telephone number of the relevant council department and encourage them to log a complaint. Multiple complaints regarding the same issue will be seen as a bigger problem/higher priority for them to resolve.

Contact the Environmental Health Department for your council. Give them details of the noise (Date, times, duration, etc).

They will send a Dog Warden round to speak directly to your neighbour regarding complaints about their dog barking. If not in, they will leave a card and request the home owner to call back and discuss.

Following this initial contact, there will be a cooling off period of 7 - 14 days (to give owner time to resolve noise issue).

One of two things will happen at the end of this period:

1. Dog barking will stop
2. Dog barking will continue

If number two, you contact councils Environmental Health Department again. They will then probably issue you with their official diary template for you to log dates and times of noise. You will then return it.

They will review and deem if noise is a nuisance.

If it is, they may send somebody round to observe/monitor/record on their official equipment the noise based on your diary.

Case could then go to court where the dog owner could get fined and ultimately have the dog taken away from them.

I'm a dog owner myself (wife is home all day with him) and went through the above process with my neighbour who left his Jack Russell at home all day. He would go to work at 05:30 and on one occasion returned at 22:00. Noise stopped after the dog warden visit as he removed the dog from the property and I believe it's now living with his parents, so it might never get to court.

Good luck!

Soldato
It's not there to be a pet or to be treated as an equal to a human being, unfortunately.

that's because it's not an equal to a human being. I get that some people get very emotionally attached to their pets and I would never, ever, condone cruelty to any animal but your pet dog is not equal to a human.

Associate
OP
You have my sympathy Malevolence, putting up with a neighbours barking or howling dog for hours on end can be an absolute nightmare.
Obvious option is to move somewhere else if you’re renting.
We do live in a rented flat and were planning on moving sometime in late spring 2018 but we're now seriously considering moving that date forward to before this Christmas.

I would suggest this as well. Obviously got time to write a post and complain so offer to take it for a walk.

So you believe that I should be taking responsibility for his dog simply because I had a free 10 minutes to make an internet post? Perhaps I should do his housework while I'm there, you know, just in case he's not responsible enough to take care of that as well:rolleyes:
I have my own responsibilities such as work, home, 2 cats, private life, car etc to take care of without adding the responsibilities of someone that seems to be shirking theirs...

Soldato

All work full time.

I was thinking this also...up until around 2 years ago when I changed jobs our dog would be left for 8 - 9 hours in the house no problem at all. We can also go out all day shopping etc and the dog is more than happy.

Current job working from home is obviously the ideal situation and I do worry about when I change jobs again next year but will see how it goes.

I guess it is different if you keep them caged up for a long period of time, but ours is happy roaming the downstairs.

Dup

Dup

Soldato

All work full time.

I have three dogs, can be left 8-9 hours no problem but I'm fortunate at the moment that I don't need to do this often now. They are all rescues from otherwise broken homes that have needed a lot of attention and training from myself, so I don't know if that makes a difference. The fact they keep each other company helps too.

I also know people with working dogs who have busy working lives, their dogs are kept in large outdoor kennels and they're left to it often. That's their life, what they're trained to do and expect and that's perfectly fine.

There's a lot of upper middle class prats moving in around me with their small expensive designer dogs, extendable leads and abysmal care and knowledge for the dog. They take offence to your well trained completely passive dogs not being restrained at all times (well, apart from my "rat dog", he's a ****). They seem to leave them running riot barking in their gardens all day and only walk them when it suits them (when it's sunny). Dogs are committing to a way of life that some don't understand or care about and that attitude extends to the people around them who differ due to their neglect and ignorance. Winds me up. In my nearest town (Clitheroe) they're trying to ban people walking dogs off a lead becasue of these morons! Madness.

The best advice for a dog with separation anxiety is to lock it in a room while you're at home and get it used to being left and don't pander to its whines, then let it out once it settles down. Might be worth passing this onto the owner OP, if they're interested in helping themselves and others.

Back
Top Bottom