What watch do you wear?

Soldato
This is the Hamilton I'm quite keen on:

o_1br1cc21n1pac1mjo4jqhjoloa.JPG

Associate
Definitely. Just wondered how much more on a £300-500 watch.

Nevermind, I was just making conversation trying to get into the watch world.

Moving on. Quite like the look of this as well http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/hamilton/mens-hamilton-khaki-field-watch-h68551833-h68551833.html

Are Hamilton well known?

That is a great watch; Hamilton are a great manufacturer - although I would push for an Automatic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hamilton-...904374?hash=item212ed92876:g:oIcAAOSwEIFZyzlU

Sapphire, for your budget, is a must have IMO. The anti scratch properties coupled with the clarity you get over a longer period of time means its worth it.

Check out Baltic Watches too; I really, REALLY like the style they have.

Soldato
That is a great watch; Hamilton are a great manufacturer - although I would push for an Automatic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hamilton-...904374?hash=item212ed92876:g:oIcAAOSwEIFZyzlU

Sapphire, for your budget, is a must have IMO. The anti scratch properties coupled with the clarity you get over a longer period of time means its worth it.

Check out Baltic Watches too; I really, REALLY like the style they have.
The internals are nice. What sort of maintenance would be required for something like the Baltic Bicompax 001?

Associate
The internals are nice. What sort of maintenance would be required for something like the Baltic Bicompax 001?

Actually, the only drawback for the Chronograph is the Seagull movement. Some other small manufacterers used it and it had some quality issues; however they may be ironed out by now.

Yep, servicing is pretty straightforward. If it is losing a lot of time; take it in - or just as peace of mind just take it in for a service every couple of years.

Associate
Hamilton would be a great shout, and it seems like you're settling on a design type. Whichever way you're tempted to go, I would recommend getting hands-on with the watch you're looking at before buying. I bought a watch direct from the US, so never had my hands on it beforehand. I've since found a couple of niggles (flat and reflective sapphire, and hands which can blend into the face) which mean I'm not 100% happy with it. In retrospect, I had hands on that SKA721P1 and loved it, so should have just gone for that, but was enamored with the idea of an automatic.

Associate
Guys, just a quick one i've got a Tag Calibre 16, and it appears to be running fast, like i mean 5 minutes ahead a day, i've only had a it a month or so, surely it doesnt need a service already?

Soldato
Hamilton would be a great shout, and it seems like you're settling on a design type. Whichever way you're tempted to go, I would recommend getting hands-on with the watch you're looking at before buying. I bought a watch direct from the US, so never had my hands on it beforehand. I've since found a couple of niggles (flat and reflective sapphire, and hands which can blend into the face) which mean I'm not 100% happy with it. In retrospect, I had hands on that SKA721P1 and loved it, so should have just gone for that, but was enamored with the idea of an automatic.
Definitely. I'll be trying them on before (there are a few Goldsmiths near me) to make sure they fit and more importantly are 'everyday' functional.

Soldato
Guys, just a quick one i've got a Tag Calibre 16, and it appears to be running fast, like i mean 5 minutes ahead a day, i've only had a it a month or so, surely it doesnt need a service already?
Where did you get it from? If retail/AD etc. then they need to take a look, for free, and sort it, for free.

Associate

That Seiko is a steal for the price

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...-ska721-ska721p1-ska721p-mens-watch-8434.html

Associate
Yikes that is a steal! I was going to go for an SNK807 or something, but I might have to go for that. Would import duties be payable from Creation though? That'll add 20 quid on...

What about this one the Seiko SNZG13J1, Japanese market version as it has the J in the model code (will have Japanese and English Day characters). £151 from Yorkshire Watches. It is an automatic and not far off what you'll pay for that SKA721P1 with importation and handling charges. It also isn't an automatic and Korean built rather than Japanese built.

Soldato
20 and then the 8-12 handling charges

I can't remember paying any duty on my creation watch but I'd need to look. Suppose it depends who actually checks when it comes through

I've a khaki king scuba, had it a couple of years now - great watch for the money, though some of those Seiko's look a steal too

Soldato
I can't remember paying any duty on my creation watch but I'd need to look. Suppose it depends who actually checks when it comes through

I've a khaki king scuba, had it a couple of years now - great watch for the money, though some of those Seiko's look a steal too
Duty maxes out at 0.80 Euro on watches (it varies depending on mechanism and materials) and HMRC don't collect duty when it's that low, so that may be why.

Associate
I've just bought a Citizen BM6400 00E - 40mm, 200m WR, very utilitarian field watch look, oversize and slightly quirky numbers on the dial. My wrists are only 6.5" on a good day :) so I am feeling more and more that my 42mm Orient is just a tad too big.

Really chuffed to have found a new one (in Worcester), as it's an older model that has been superseded in their line-up with the AW1410-08E, a slightly larger watch with more regular numbers, which I just don't like as much.
This one is more like the Ray Mears / Royal Marines Commando one - I really like the Commando one, but wearing that watch would just seem a bit odd to me. If they'd just stamped the case back, that would have been so much better (or just had a little insignia on the dial).

Soldato
30th coming up soon and am looking to get a watch, have about £6-800 budget.

Currently I'm looking at used Tag F1's with a silver bezel, but can't help get the feeling theres probably something nicer/better out there for the money.

Any recommendations on brands? I don't have any specific style or anything in mind and it's not the sort of thing I will be wearing everyday.

I don't really want to wait until March, but we are planning a trip to Florida, would the savings be worth it to consider waiting until then?

I guess that doesn't give a lot to go on...

Back
Top Bottom