Barbour Jackets

Soldato
OP
Thank you for all the replies! I will go and find a shop to try some on properly and then almost certainly buy one.

Where I live the people with Barbour jackets are the totally opposite of chavs. Think Range Rover, wellies, dogs and a couple of shotguns.

My Bond-like bearing and obvious sophistication would mark me out from the chavs, anyway. :D

If you're getting one buy a traditional cut not the trendy modern which will look outdated in a couple of years. It'll last many many years.

Agreed. Age means I have been updating my wardrobe with timeless classics rather than on-trend things, anyway.

Live about 15 mins away from their HQ and they have a outlet store which has a decent sale section in it. Some good deals to be had if you don't mind a apparent shade difference for example (we still can't see where lol)

The wife has two, a modern style one and one of the classic style, Defo agree the classic ones age better.

I need to find an outlet near me. They are rather pricey so any money off would be great. :)

Associate
Just a big shout out for Barbour as they do a good repair service should your jacket ever need stitching or a new press stud etc. One of my press studs came off and they charged £7 inc postage. Not many manufacturers would offer an out of warranty repair service.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had one years ago (about 30 years ago, actually) and loved it. I loved the smell, the look and the functionality of it. Been meaning to get another one for ages but not got around to it. Considering I live less than 3 miles from the factory, I really have little excuse.

Soldato
OP
To conclude this thread I bought a Barbour Ogston today. It fits me perfectly and is warm as anything. Thanks so much to everyone who posted in this thread. :)

Associate
Two person job: Put a protective bin liner over the ironing board. Place the tin of wax in a larger tin of very hot water until the Barbour wax is the consistency of olive oil. Use a rag to apply and rub the oil into the jacket. At the same time have the second person heat the area with a hair dryer. Jacket will look good and last for years.

A friend of mine tried to apply the wax cold. His jacket looked like it had been smeared with candle wax.

I agree they are heavy, not necessarily very warm and not easy to store in a day sack etc.

Man of Honour
They have been superceded with modern technical jackets that do the same thing, only better and lighter in some cases. But the wax ones are a timeless classic and last years. I like them. But I hate a lot of their modern stuff.

Soldato
They’re very hard wearing jackets. I know a farmer (a proper farmer not some Range Rover driving oik) who’s had one for nigh on 25 years. It definitely doesn’t look like new but it’s still waterproof and warm.

Back
Top Bottom