• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

kaby lake life

Associate
I hope they continue to run, they are to be honest still nice CPUs. If the prices of course drop in relation to Coffee Lake then users may be able to get a decent 7700k 7600k (if they already got a z270 board that is) if they are after a brand new build or scratch you'd wnna ofc get coffee

Soldato
Hi, will kaby lake desktop processors be end of line after coffee lake is introduced or will they run concurrently?
Intel don't tend to keep older consumer products going for long. Resale value will drop significantly I'd have thought, considering Coffee Lake Core i3s will essentially be Kaby Lake Core i7s, presumably at a lower price point.

Man of Honour
They will most likely still be sold until stocks run out. Don't expect prices to drop though as the new cpu's need a new chipset so demand will still be high for people wanting to upgrade withing the 200 series chipset platform. Skylake didn't drop when Kabylake launched and they used the same chipsets.

Soldato
They will most likely still be sold until stocks run out. Don't expect prices to drop though as the new cpu's need a new chipset so demand will still be high for people wanting to upgrade withing the 200 series chipset platform. Skylake didn't drop when Kabylake launched and they used the same chipsets.
Not immediately but as they go EOL the Skylake chips did end up being a bit cheaper. Not sure about OcUK but in general I mean.

Soldato

Skylake retained second-hand resales value because of compatibility for Windows 7. I bet not many people would want Kaby Lake since it's the breakpoint to stop supporting Windoes 7.

Man of Honour
I was talking about new prices. On here a lot of the Kabylake cpu's are actually cheaper than the corresponding Skylake cpu's which could well be due to the reason you state. I still can't see any price drop coming as the new cpu's require a new chipset so there will still be demand from people wanting to upgrade while keeping the 100/200 series chipsets. Even though Intel now has competition again from AMD they are still overcharging for their cpu's and I can't see that changing anytime soon while people are willing to pay their rip off prices.

Associate
Yes. High single vs lower multi core, vs lower single versus high multi core. I mean, you've had this discussion in about 50 threads on these forums so I don't know why I'm going over it again.

Soldato
Yes. High single vs lower multi core, vs lower single versus high multi core. I mean, you've had this discussion in about 50 threads on these forums so I don't know why I'm going over it again.

Anything Kaby can offer is well eclipsed by what Ryzen offers. Unless you can buy a 7700K for dirt cheap you'd be better off with Ryzen.

Associate
Anything Kaby can offer is well eclipsed by what Ryzen offers. Unless you can buy a 7700K for dirt cheap you'd be better off with Ryzen.

If your/AMD's only selling point for Ryzen is price/performance it clearly isn't competing that well in the enthusiast market.

Associate

Unless you need high frequency for games like total war? As in 7700k will surely outperform any ryzen chip? I realise that this is very specific haha

Caporegime
Skylake is currently more expensive to buy than kabylake. It's a stupid situation to be in with CPU's the pricing is wrong on older CPU's.

The newer market is better than the older market in terms of value for money in both new and second hand.

Coffeelake will be expensive, new chipset and all. Price of RAM keeps on going up. I would buy now and buy Ryzen. Eventually everything will be multi threaded for more cores.

Soldato
I would buy now and buy Ryzen. Eventually everything will be multi threaded for more cores.
More does not necessarily mean better, I suppose it would depend on the app, according to some devs fast single-core performance is still key when audio processing (FL Studio) For example: An 8 core CPU (14,400) with a single core score of 1800 is less well suited to music production than a 4 core CPU (12,000) with a single core score of 2600, since much of what happens with audio-processing can't be computed in parallel. Audio processing, as performed by DAW software, is one of the most CPU intensive tasks done in real-time on computers today. It's more CPU intensive than 3D games, that offload a lot of work to the video card GPU.

I only really play racing games like project cars and that's very casual, also my i7-3820 does the job ok although the GTX 10 series does most of the leg work, with vsti's and plugins I have issues either with the i7-3820 or the X79 chipset?

My priority is fast single core over multi core, I don't overclock but might look into that but I prefer plug and play and I have limited budget and Ryzen is tempting but Intel have the speed advantage and if the price is right then the 8400 or 8600k might be the sweet spot for my personal budget, will wait it out and check prices. Ryzen 5 is on my budget list though.

Back
Top Bottom