Android 7.0 - cast and network functions

Associate
Am I going nuts or have these functions quite literally disappeared in nougat?

Pre nougat it was in practically every media app. If you play something there's a little cast button in the top of the app window you click it and you are presented with the option to stream to any Dlna enabled device on your network. Where has this gone?

There was also a 'network folder' in many media apps which when you clicked on it would bring up all servers in your home lan which you could click into and pull content from. This now also appears to have gone missing

After trying quite literally 30+ apps I found VLC player still has the Network Folders option but doesn't have a cast function. All other apps I've tried don't have either including oem ones from the likes of Sony and Samsung

What is going on??

For the record im using an S8

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't you only get the Cast icon when theres a Chromecast (or other receiver) in range or on the same network? :confused: Mine doesn't appear in Google Play Music until I connect to my home wifi for example.

You could try installing the Google Home app? Seems to be able to resolve issues with casting sometimes, when GPM falls over etc.

Associate
OP
Not sure on the network folder bit, but for my 6P/XZP the cast icon is still there.

... Unless Samsung has their own casting function, did it look something like this?: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062585/

That is WiFi direct and transmits the Screen for screen mirroring, not the actual media data which is then decoded and played on the DLNA device - it also doesn't work 99% of the time.

Associate
OP
Don't you only get the Cast icon when theres a Chromecast (or other receiver) in range or on the same network? :confused: Mine doesn't appear in Google Play Music until I connect to my home wifi for example.

You could try installing the Google Home app? Seems to be able to resolve issues with casting sometimes, when GPM falls over etc.

You're referring to google Chromecast, not DLNA. Google Home is exactly like Samsung Connect, it also doesn't work.

Soldato
Google guidelines changed and it's now commonly in the share menu for a given app but even then, it would require a DLNA server app to send (some manufacturers have inbuilt support from their gallery / file app but it's not ubiquitous). Bubbleupnp would sort you out I think.

Associate
OP
Oh great. Glad they fixed something that wasn't broken.

On the plus side it is now insanely retarded to cast DLNA now. Makes so much sense that you need a bunch of third party apps to do what used to be integrated into one app in a clean and logical way

Back
Top Bottom