US: Star Trek: Discovery

Soldato
So it takes place before the first Star Trek... So just a crazy thing to ask, why is the tech in the show seem more advanced??? Little rant sorry, CBS sucks they will only have ep 2+ on the CBS now app. $5 for a service just for 1 show, nope...

Soldato
I'm a big hater of prequels, but saying that.... of course you have to suspend disbelief for a bit and put all memories of the original series out of your head.
Otherwise what's the alternative? Make the ships and sets look like they're made out of balsa wood and toilet roll tubes just so it seems less advanced than the Kirk era? :)

I joke of course, but still to make a point. It's just one of those things you have to let go due to 'remaking' a prequel 50+ years after the original.

PayDay Lover
Associate
I kind of assume the show is designed to bring in a new era of Star Trek lovers rather than bring joy to the die hards - and its understandable when you consider the various comments I have seen regarding 'the Klingon makeup is all wrong' 'the ship is the wrong size/shape etc for this era because it was the 3854x ships not the 3854y ships during this time (I have taken artistic liberty here by making up numbers, the actual statement made by one more knowledgable than I actually used the correct ship sizings I assume)'.

It doesn't make sense timeline wise, but by making it a prequel they can avoid any issues that come form what has happened at some point during the bajillion various episodes there have been, whilst also probably having a few cheeky nods to chars 'ooh I know who he becomes!'

It's a reboot, using tech people in this day and age would expect. That is why the tech is superior, it makes no sense time wise but due to original Star Trek, but with the tech we have today, a Sci Fi show needs to have something more impressive than just Skype in Space (just an example as I know someone was annoyed regarding holographic communications being used instead of video call).

So, new fans and any casual Star Trek watcher (there is such a thing) won't even realize the tech/time disparity - or even know what order all the old Start Treks were anyway (most can tell you Next Gen was after Kirk era but have no clue where any of the spin offs came in).

Course, I have just given my reasoning on why things won't make sense - I haven't even seen the new stuff yet, so maybe it will be ridiculous

Soldato
Well, after watching the first 2 episodes, I quite enjoyed it.
Certainly much more of a movie quality vibe that we've come to expect from other shows like Westworld and GoT.

I could definitely see some of the stuff in some scenes that has had people worried in the lead up to it (E.g... SJW and political aspects) but if you just take it as a sci-fi show, I think it did rather well for itself and am looking forwards to seeing the rest of the season. :)

Soldato
Just finished watching the first two episodes - thought it was absolutely brilliant. That's coming from someone who cannot stand the new Trek films and couldn't get into Enterprise.
Hoping the rest of the season can keep up with the quality and not introduce a 100 flamin characters without any development, which most tv shows are guilty of nowadays.

Man of Honour
It's a reboot, using tech people in this day and age would expect. That is why the tech is superior, it makes no sense time wise but due to original Star Trek, but with the tech we have today, a Sci Fi show needs to have something more impressive than just Skype in Space (just an example as I know someone was annoyed regarding holographic communications being used instead of video call).

Haven't watched this yet but:

There is more than one way to approach it though - they could have done a lot of things working for example from say the style of older Soviet era space technology and updating it a bit but still keeping some of the more unique analogue or mechanical features, etc. while still giving it a Star Trek aesthetic as well and while you wouldn't want to be running through the whole procedure every time someone uses an airlock, etc. its a good scene to both introduce and build characters and set a bit of the atmosphere where you have 2-3 characters carrying out a checklist style process of using the technology while at the same time interacting with each other as well - the kind of things that seems missing from a lot of newer movies/TV shows that race through at 100mph - which is part of why I find a lot of TV shows actually really boring these days.

Associate
Having just watched the first two episodes I have to say I was impressed.
Yes some of the technology could not have been envisaged in the previous Kirk era, but as another Star Trek spin off, it looks promising.

Permabanned
So it takes place before the first Star Trek... So just a crazy thing to ask, why is the tech in the show seem more advanced??? Little rant sorry, CBS sucks they will only have ep 2+ on the CBS now app. $5 for a service just for 1 show, nope...

The original Star Trek looks horriblely dated, there's no point making something in 2017 that looks like it's from the 60s or the 80s, our own technology has changed quite a bit over the years so a re-imagining of what Star Trek should be like is most welcome.

Soldato
OP
Man, in the US, you need to sub to the CBS all acess app to watch it past ep 1... The jerks, they tried to hook us with ep 1 on the CBS network on TV, but it is $5 a month & as far as I know, they just have STD on it now!!! Well the only new thing...

Last edited:
Soldato
I also really enjoyed it. Watched the first couple of eps and thought they were very good. I don't get all the hate for the new movies tho.. Apart from the lens flare.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Using fancy technology is fine but they (producers) seem to have lost the ability to design and use new and original ships.

Back
Top Bottom