Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Shame about the Wrasse, but that's a spectacular tank mate. Mine never got to that stage, I kept moving home and having to start again. Now I'm settled in my own place, but I'm starting kidney dialysis soon and having an aquarium isn't practical health wise.

Cheers, lost half of my stock due to ICH a couple of months ago, i was devastated and angry after all the time and money i have spent, it was like losing my pals, dosed some good meds and it has seemed to work touch wood, got some new stock coming next week.

Soldato
Damn, I guess everyone will go through that if they have a tank long enough. It is surprising how attached you can get to a fish, it was hard giving up my Yellow tang when it outgrew my tank. Same with the Scooter blenny I had when I moved home and gave him up. Green Chromis were not hard to give up though lol. Little sods they are.

A Rhomboid Wrasse would be top of the list for me, if I ever get another tank. Such an amazing looking Fish.

Soldato
Yellow tangs are so underrated, mine is the pure boss of my tank, i see the ban in hawaii for collecting fish which will push up the price a far bit, i am all for the ban, give the reefs time to recover.

Soldato
Wow, @Spook187 nice tank!

I like to have the powerheads about a third down from the top. With 2 of them and a decent return pump there should be enough flow in the tank. When you get algae growing on the rocks you will see how well they are all working, as it will sway with the flow. Do you have the return nozzle making some surface agitation? This is important to oxygenate the water.

Yeah, the return nozzle is twisted round to point up and towards the back of the tank just below the surface. Does it need to actually break the surface, e.g. create bubbles, or just cause rippling?

Question about the skimmer, the tunze is a lot quieter than the Fluval, but it's still making quite a bit of noise - like a constant fizzing from the bubbles forming - is this most likely just that it needs breaking in and it should get better?

Also should it make much difference which chamber in the back it goes in? Been reading and it appears putting the skimmer in the second chamber in these tanks can make it a little quieter as the hum doesn't reverberate through the cabinet so much.

Cheers!

Soldato
Yellow tangs are so underrated, mine is the pure boss of my tank, i see the ban in hawaii for collecting fish which will push up the price a far bit, i am all for the ban, give the reefs time to recover.

Yep mine was the boss too, and it was always first to come to the glass when you walk past. The ban will help them recover, as they're so popular they must have suffered numbers wise. The price of them was quite cheap anyway, think I paid £30 for mine. When you think a black tang is going for £800 last time I checked! The yellow ones are so much better.

Soldato
Wow, @Spook187 Yeah, the return nozzle is twisted round to point up and towards the back of the tank just below the surface. Does it need to actually break the surface, e.g. create bubbles, or just cause rippling?

Question about the skimmer, the tunze is a lot quieter than the Fluval, but it's still making quite a bit of noise - like a constant fizzing from the bubbles forming - is this most likely just that it needs breaking in and it should get better?

Also should it make much difference which chamber in the back it goes in? Been reading and it appears putting the skimmer in the second chamber in these tanks can make it a little quieter as the hum doesn't reverberate through the cabinet so much.

Cheers!

It just needs to create a ripple. I would have it flowing into the tank rather than against the back though.

Skimmers do make noise unfortunately, that's why when possible they go in a sump.

I don't know what the back chambers look like on the aquarium, if there's a diagram of the back that would help. But I would say as long as the water stays at the same height then it should be ok.

Soldato
Rear chambers look like this http://www.ultimatereef.net/attachments/back-chamber-jpg.907553/

Except in mine the middle divider is inverted so the water flows under, so it goes:

Tank -> 1st chamber: over
1st -> 2nd chamber: over
2nd -> 3rd chamber: under
3rd -> 4th chamber: over

Currently have the following:

1st chamber: skimmer
2nd chamber: heater
3rd chamber: empty (this is where I was going to stick a light and some chaeto)
4th chamber: return pump

it would fit in the 2nd chamber against the middle divider if I moved the lights a little

Should I just point the return towards the surface into the middle of the tank? I figured having it flowing along the back would create some turbulence against the powerhead on the left hand side

Soldato
I was in Swallow Aquatics today and they are selling the Fluval G6 for £200 (normally £350), available online also.

I was close to buying it but I didn't really need it.

Soldato
Not had a chance to post for a couple of days, but got a couple of new friends at the weekend, meet Geralt and Ciri:

9jReLoo.jpg

They seem to like that corner, sit in there most of the time, although go take a look around occasionally. Weren't interested in food at first, but were straight onto it today.

Also have 3 trochus and 3 cerith snails, and 3 red leg hermits.

Phosphates are looking a bit on the high side (~0.4mg/l), got a bag of rowaphos sitting in front of the powerhead atm, which seems to be bringing it down slowly (was more like 0.8mg/l last week).

Out of interest, does this look like coralline algae (the purple next to the snail)? I was under the impression it could take months to grow, and this was dry rock (and had been for some time) when I put it in:

b0Wa6eU.jpg

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I decided today that I am closing down my big tank.
It will be the first time I have no tanks for probably 10 years or so.
Debating whether to sell up or retire it to the loft. Largely that depends if I can actually get it through the hatch!
I figure we need the space with the growing family and I would rather not run small tanks, they are just too much of a pain to keep stable on a low maintenance routine.
I will probably wait till I have the space for a proper fish room and build a big plywood tank and keep some real monsters. Till then, I am out!
I told the Mrs this evening, she was happy :D

Soldato
Some awesome tanks in here!

We still have the Fluval Edge tank, one betta and 8 celestial pearl danios in it at the moment.

We did have 10 but they were digging up power lines in the street for weeks and the vibration cause the death of two and put the betta in some state. Thankfully he's recovered from that and is getting on with life again. Plants on the left are only recently added and needs a tidy up.

The 5 goldfish we had in a 60L bio-orb, 1 of ours and 4 we took them off someone who was going to flush them have been moved to more appropriate environments.

Two went to a friend who has a pond.

We bought a 126L tank for the remaining 3 but that ended up cracking and flooding the kitchen/taking one of the smaller black goldfish too.

Borrowed a 56L tank from a friend for the remaining 2 and have since got rid of the last of the fish we took in to the same pond. The fish we had is a fancy goldfish so not sure if he would deal with being outside in a pond or not.

Soldato
I'm binning the TMC Auto Top-Up.

The silicone sealant on the suction cup seemed to hold it until last night, when my GF called me downstairs saying the tank was making a noise... it was the pump running dry after the sensor had fallen off again and dumped a few litres of RO into my tank, leaving the water level in my tank about 10mm from overflowing, thankfully my top up reservoir was almost empty, so the salinity hasn't dropped too far (about 1.022), I dread to think what would have happened if the reservoir had been full!

My fish/critters appear to be OK, and I've got the Tunze on order which should be coming tomorrow.

Been reading, and the best way to bring the salinity back up appears to be doing it gradually by using salt water for the top up and testing it frequently until it's at the right level? Or should I just do a few big water changes with the target level?

Soldato
I'm binning the TMC Auto Top-Up.

The silicone sealant on the suction cup seemed to hold it until last night, when my GF called me downstairs saying the tank was making a noise... it was the pump running dry after the sensor had fallen off again and dumped a few litres of RO into my tank, leaving the water level in my tank about 10mm from overflowing, thankfully my top up reservoir was almost empty, so the salinity hasn't dropped too far (about 1.022), I dread to think what would have happened if the reservoir had been full!

My fish/critters appear to be OK, and I've got the Tunze on order which should be coming tomorrow.

Been reading, and the best way to bring the salinity back up appears to be doing it gradually by using salt water for the top up and testing it frequently until it's at the right level? Or should I just do a few big water changes with the target level?

Glue it to a magnet instead or even an old algee scraper Worked fine for me and stops it coming off.

As for increasing salinity i would just not top up for a few days abd it will rise on its own, then when its at desired levels do a water change.

Associate
Howdy gents,

just picked up a 180l tank for the wee ones goldfish (I know I know ) and been looking for a combined filter and air pump in one unit?

Back
Top Bottom