US: Mr. Robot

Soldato
I've started S1 E1. I like most of what I've seen so far. Not reading the whole thread in case of spoilers, but is the series worth dedicating time to?

Its a classic. Excellent show for its genre. I think it got a golden globe for best drama 2016 also.

Sure there are 1 or 2 extremely bad episodes (you will know them when you see them) but overall its right up there with shows like Stranger Things, Westworld.

Hikari Kisugi said:
I enjoyed season two as it really detailed mania and madness very well.
Season one was just lovely.
Hopefully s 3 will work out well.
this basically ^^

Soldato
Gonna give this a miss, second season was the most awful TV I have ever seen
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, that said unless you have never watched anything other than the wire, sopranos etc this sort of statement is nonsense.

S3 ep1 has promise and despite a hurried extra 2 episodes at the end of season 2 the quality of that series was in the absolute cream of the crop that year (s1 being the best thing on tv for 5 years imho)!

Soldato
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, that said unless you have never watched anything other than the wire, sopranos etc this sort of statement is nonsense.

S3 ep1 has promise and despite a hurried extra 2 episodes at the end of season 2 the quality of that series was in the absolute cream of the crop that year (s1 being the best thing on tv for 5 years imho)!

Watched The Wire but not Sopranos. I watch all sorts of TV Series.

Like you said everyone is entitled to their own opinion.... "absolute cream of the crop that year " :eek:

Soldato
^^

Sopranos is top quality, miles better than the wire.

Thought that was a good opening episode to season 3.

Roll on the next episode!
Not sure I disagree re Soprano's V wire and what a great problem to have (which is better), although the wire is pretty much the only five series (23eps per series) show I ever watched that seemed a cohesive and stunningly entertaining collection of discrete series that actually was about something.

Episode to episode the Sopranos probably has it, the pine barron's (directed by Steve Buscemi by the way) is possibly my fave single episode of a TV show ever, as a whole show I'm less sure.

Back on Mr Robot, people's reviews of Mr Robot series 2 are often some of the biggest "toys out of pram" nonsense I ever read, yes Stranger things, black mirror, west world, game of thrones are all candidates for better shows of 2016, but the list of now way never better TV than season 2 of Mr Robot is near endless and despite a misjudgement on the hurried extra 2 episodes, the quality was still very high.

As a show I didn't really expect Mr Robot to manage anything but passable in season 2, which pretty much was the case if compared to the first season, compared to the night manager and the night of, it's still a pretty great show.

What will be interesting is where they go now, watching the Trump/May/where world politics has gone (since the show said what it said in the first season) sequences, leave some hope that this dog aint dead and actually might have more bite than an Eminem rap attack on idiocy!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Enjoyed the new episode a lot.

With regard to Sopranos and The Wire... The Wire wins all day long for me, it’s the greatest piece of television ever made and is truly worthy of all the accolades. Sopranos is brilliant though and a far easier watch for most people.

Soldato
Enjoyed the new episode a lot.

With regard to Sopranos and The Wire... The Wire wins all day long for me, it’s the greatest piece of television ever made and is truly worthy of all the accolades. Sopranos is brilliant though and a far easier watch for most people.

It’s the fact that the Wire manages to carry an almost uninterrupted narrative that stays riveting set across multiple different viewpoints for 5 seasons. When you consider that it’s a really staggering achievement.

Regards Mr Robot I gave up mid first season. I wanted to love it but something I could never quite put my finger on just put me off it constantly nagged at me stopping me enjoying it so I gave in. I may it a go again in the future though.

Caporegime
Season two was quite poor, season three seems to be off to a better start. Their DP needs to try something other than "make it really dark" and "frame the characters at the edge of the shot" though. It's feeling quite gimmicky.

Back
Top Bottom