Bladerunner 2 (Spoilers!)

Man of Honour
I was pleasantly surprised. Not a flawless film but it did a decent job.

Music score was great too, though the 'mood' sound effects that made it sound like someone was using a pneumatic drill on the seat next to you was a bit much.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Stunning photography. If it doesn't get an Oscar then we should stop paying attention to Oscars. Otherwise it's pretty much what I said it would be: Villeneuve delivered competent sci fi movie that would probably work much better as its own thing. I stand by my overall opinion on its bladerunnerness from trailers - yes, the movie looks perfect within its own merit, it's like a three hour long camera benchmark demo, but it's like a "inspired by" thing rather than "set in the same universe" definitive. If you think about it - it didn't really need Blade Runner universe to be the same stunner. It doesn't really continue noir world of Blade Runner in a true manner, and Blade Runner universe didn't really require any further movies, especially not ones that change that world from what it was. That world didn't need fixing. If anything - cramming Deckard into it created more plot issues and overly stretched the premise as co-penned in by the Sex & The City and Everwood scribe. Before you start screaming at me - do this - forget about visuals and summarise the plot in your head as if you were to tell your friend what the movie was all about and not say anything about visuals or music. See what I mean?
Also there might be a moment where you have to rejig the boundaries of word "android" ever so slightly in your mind for both movies to fit in the same Philip K Datswearwordfilterstillstarshisfamilyname universe, which perhaps wasn't really that clear and obvious as part of the first movie.

Is it worth seeing? Like nothing else this year. Is it good sci fi flick? Hell yes. Up there with the best. Is it a good Blade Runner sequel? Not really. Somehow it felt it needs to change more of the old universe than required to deliver the premise that could have done without any such destruction. Will it be a sci fi classic like the original? All the signs are there - it's already bombing at the box office, now it needs 4 to 5 director cuts, preferably without director's involvement and voila.

Associate
If anything - cramming Deckard into it

I'd disagree, as Deckard provided an excellent on how time moves on. However, it was also extremely important for the main character's change and resolution. However, it's quite difficult to go into any detail with spoiling the entire thing.

Soldato
It was no1 at the box office in the UK - its not surprising its not doing so well in the US,since its not another superhero movie with loads of up and coming filmstars,or the 10th Wolverine or Fast and Furious film(although the last Wolverine film was fantastic).

Last edited:
Associate
Saw it yesterday. One of my favourite films of the year for sure. The cinematography is out of this world. It was so satisfying to see the Blade Runner universe with today's photo-realistic SFX. I've seen complaints about the length, but to me it did not feel long at all, and the soundtrack was quite striking. I remember thinking "wow, this is different" when we first see Los Angeles. Will definitely see it again.

Soldato
Just back from seeing it, I was worried it was overhyped, it wasn't.

I think the telling thing about any criticism levelled at the film thus far is that v0n's only real criticism is he thinks Br didn't need a sequel.
It didn't, but it got this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Its an 8, maybe a 9. I will rewatch it at some point.
Of course one could throw mud at some pieces of it, but you could easily do that with the original.
It fitted with the evolution of a world post-tyrell, Great.

Soldato
i am so scared that this could be terrible

but god damn!!!!! imagine if its good! my hopes are up now from that preview

i dont think I can take the stress

no need to imagine anymore :D

crikey it was good
I watched it this morning and have been in a trance all day thinking about it

its still not going to replace the original as my favourite film, but its a very good film in its own right, it makes a good sequel as well (which is so rare)

If Deaks doesnt get the oscar, then the academy need to be "retired"

They pulled off the impossible, everyone groaned when they announced this, and DV really nailed it
looks like its not doing amazing box office takings in the states, so it really is a blade runner film :D

ah so much awesomeness, loved the Gaff cameo, Harrison acting on the Rachel scene is the best he has done in years, Ryan G really sold it when he thinks he is the child, the whole Joi thing is a deep rabbit hole of story in itself, film still works if Dekkard is a rep or not, sound design in the imax was nuts, especially the metallic sounds in the LA flyover scenes, so much stuff to talk about !

Soldato
Looks like we are heading for as many sequels as the book. Visually good. The pace was fine. The sound likewise, good. The themes are cult classics by now, so nothing to quibble over here. I like RG's performance; Ford is getting on a bit though, but alright for his cameo.

Yet the plot the actors are thrown in is somewhat linear (as in, about as post-modern as Milton Keynes), obvious (short of another poor voice over narration - way too many hints!) and owes more to other blockbuster sequel mills than the source material. The 'villain' was just risible, and so was his 'angel'. We're breaking little new ground here. My take on it is somewhere between the Independent and the Economist: better than the rest; exciting on first viewing; once you start thinking about what you saw, the problems start popping out.

Caporegime
Before you start screaming at me - do this - forget about visuals and summarise the plot in your head as if you were to tell your friend what the movie was all about and not say anything about visuals or music. See what I mean?

You can make any movie sound simple if you do that

Blade runner.

Man hunts down android things, falls in love with one, kills most of the others. The end.

Back
Top Bottom