• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K OcUK Stock and Binned Processors

Soldato
Not as rare as someone getting one by chance from OCUK! Now I think a delidding service is a good idea, if it was a service purchasable with a CPU then I would consider it for a fixed fee. But I won't buy from a retailer when I know they have had their hand in the cookie jar and taken all the good ones first. Please learn the lesson and keep the Retail boxes untouched.
This. Personally I won't be taking the risk. However slight or perceived. I think it's an enormous commercial gamble, and for what? seriously how many binned CPU's will they sell compared to Retail.

Soldato
They are all delidded and stress tested by 8 Pack. Essentially you are paying the premium for a guaranteed 5+ Ghz clock with a 1 year warranty from OcUK. Not for everyone but I reckon the 5Ghz one at an extra 140 quid is worth it for the warranty and the fact the consumer doesn't have to run the risk of damaging the chip.

In that case I'll edit my post as IMO the labour to delid and test carries a premium, as well as the chip that can be guaranteed to perform at that speed.

The product description doesn't mention any of that, particularly the delid which many people would not dream of attempting and would be happy to pay for.

Associate
But I won't buy from a retailer when I know they have had their hand in the cookie jar and taken all the good ones first.

What's the cause of your inability to understand that this isn't the case? After a retail processor is removed from the box, its only being sold as a binned processor, used in a build, or used internally by OcUK.

It is never again sold as a boxed retail processor. Any boxed retail processor you buy from OcUK will be one that hasn't ever been removed from its box or binned. Once they're removed from the box and binned, they can't be sold as a boxed retail processor.

There are no boxed retail processors in stock because they were all removed from their boxes and binned in this instance. They therefore can't be resold as boxed retail processors, regardless of whether they binned low or high.

If, once more stock arrives, you are able to buy a boxed retail processor from OcUK, it will be an unbinned boxed retail processor - it will be just as likely to hit 5.2Ghz as any other unbinned boxed retail processor you could buy from anywhere else.

Soldato
What's the cause of your inability to understand that this isn't the case? After a retail processor is removed from the box, its only being sold as a binned processor, used in a build, or used internally by OcUK.

It is never again sold as a boxed retail processor. Any boxed retail processor you buy from OcUK will be one that hasn't ever been removed from its box or binned. Once they're removed from the box and binned, they can't be sold as a boxed retail processor.

There are no boxed retail processors in stock because they were all removed from their boxes and binned in this instance. They therefore can't be resold as boxed retail processors, regardless of whether they binned low or high.

If, once more stock arrives, you are able to buy a boxed retail processor from OcUK, it will be an unbinned boxed retail processor - it will be just as likely to hit 5.2Ghz as any other unbinned boxed retail processor you could buy from anywhere else.

So, as it stands at the moment you can't buy a boxed, retail 8700K from OCUK because they tore open all the boxes when they arrived to play with them and see which clock high. Seems good "customer first" mentality....

Associate
So, as it stands at the moment you can't buy a boxed, retail 8700K from OCUK because they tore open all the boxes when they arrived to play with them and see which clock high. Seems good "customer first" mentality....

People who wanted to buy a binned chip capable of a guaranteed stable OC and covered by a 1 year warranty are customers too, right?

Associate

But you can't buy one anywhere..... How are people still not accepting that there is no stock and that a business made profit on the stock they had.

OcUK opened a handful of retail boxes due to a ridiculous launch by intel and made some profit in the process.

There seems to be a massive sense of self entitlement going around that those wanting a retail chip should have been sold to first. Even if this was the case, less than 30 people would be happy - as there was hardly any stock and the next delivery as Gibbo has posted in this very thread, is equally as poor in terms of quantity. Again, all due to intel rushing to get chips out to try combat Ryzen, whilst also coming at the cost hitting their own sales of the 7700k due to a new processor being in the wild. Why is no one directing their attitude towards intel?

Go look on a competitors website. They still have 8700k's available. If you buy one of their 3k pre built systems. Do they have bad business practice too? Are they morally corrupt and unethical? Are they preventing the cure of cancer with their mistreatment of customers? This is how silly this is getting.

Soldato
I think there's two sides to this, like with most things. On one side, there is the fact that both Ian and OCUK have made a very strong point that they do-not bin retail boxed CPU. Now, however, they are. Even if only in this instance...

On the other side, stock is very limited regardless of any of this, and will be till Q1 2018. So anyone not willing to pay top dollar is likely going to have to wait anyway. That's just the way it is. As with a lot of things recently, a lot of this is posturing from certain users to get what they want.

That would be my view, Intel have rushed to market with very, very limited stock due to the competition from AMD hoping it might persuade people to wait until Intel CPU "X" is available rather than buy Ryzen now. This will always drive up prices if there is enough demand for a product but also annoys potential customers.

Associate
Customers who buy pre-binned CPUs > Customers who buy pre-built systems
I assume.

If you're buying a pre-binned CPU, you're getting a CPU capable of performing at the guaranteed stable OC advertised.
If you're buying a pre-built system, you're getting a system which operates at the frequency advertised.

The level of fairness is equivalent.

Soldato
If you're buying a pre-binned CPU, you're getting a CPU capable of performing at the guaranteed stable OC advertised.
If you're buying a pre-built system, you're getting a system which operates at the frequency advertised.

The level of fairness is equivalent.
Totally disagree. When buying ANY "K" series processor, you are paying a premium for the "K" so you can overclock it. And should be able to play the silicone lottery yourself. Not have a guaranteed poor overclocker. In which case just buy a non K system. People buy "K" to overclock them, not to run them at the "frequency advertised". Fact.

Back
Top Bottom