FOCUS ST Petrol/Diesel Owners

Soldato
Love the logic of buying the diesel to save £120 a year on VED, then spending thousands on modifications/future repairs to desperately get it to the level of the proper ST.

P.s. if you remove the DPF - you deserve to get a ticket or have your car seized as it isn't pleasant being gassed to death by some boy racer in front.

Associate
20-25 MPG from a petrol ST? I doubt it's that bad tbh, my 13 year old Golf MK5 GTI currently Stage 1 running approx 245bhp does 38-42MPG on a long motorway journey with some spirited driving as well as a little town and country, drops 25-32 MPG around town dependent on my right foot, an ST that's 13 years newer should be much better than that! The only reason to get a Derv is if you do a high mileage, plus Derv's will be getting a kicking soon from the Government and you will lose a lot more in depreciation than what you save in insurance and petrol costs. But that being said if you prefer the way the Diesel drives and sounds then enjoy but I doubt you will get many on here agreeing with you on that one mate!

Associate
If you want higher mpg, and lower insurance get a Fiesta ST :D. I'm averaging 43.5mpg in my ST200, and I will put my foot down whenever possible.

Or get a Golf GTE.

Soldato
remember someone (cant remember the username) here got the diesel mazda 3, modded the engine and body to MPS. he ended up getting the real MPS! the thread was hilarious!

get the petrol ST

Ford should never brand the diesel 180bhp wtih ST. i mean its 70bhp less than petrol ST.

Soldato
There was already a massive Focus ST owners thread on here which also catered for the minority that bought the diesel versions.

Soldato
This threads Title says FOCUS DIESEL ST owners !!

If you don’t own or going to own a Diesel ST please don’t post !
I own a mondeo diesel with the same power, it's just not called an ST.
I was tempted by the 240 petrol but I do a fair few miles so the 180 diesel suits me. Other than a remap I wouldn't mess with the car to gain power not worth it instead buy a 3 liter diesel or a petrol version.

Soldato
Heh, the petrol is a LOT quicker than the diesel version.

The torque does not make up the difference, not even close (Fords hot hatches are all torquey anyway). The petrol is almost 2 seconds quicker to 62 which is a huge gap. The diesel isn't a hot hatch tbh, just a warm one.

I thought an engine ONLY produces torque. BHP is a mathematical calculation based on torque and RPM.....Although I'm probably wrong

Soldato
I thought an engine ONLY produces torque. BHP is a mathematical calculation based on torque and RPM.....Although I'm probably wrong

That's true, power (BHP) is only a calculation of torque & rpm. What matters is torque at the wheels, a petrol car will make the same (or often more) torque at the wheels as they can rev higher and tend to have lower gears so although they may make say 250nm at the flywheel compared to a diesel making 400nm they'll still be making a huge amount at the tyres due to revs and gearing which is what actually makes you go fast. As power is a calculation with RPM the more you can rev the more power you make as a general rule.

Soldato
As a 2017 petrol ST owner (Stealth Grey cos colour makes a difference) that tried the diesel, the only reason to buy it is for the mpg if you do a lot of miles.
All your other points are fantasy.

Soldato
I own a Diesel Focus ST and it really doesn't deserve it's own thread :p

Probably not my finest choice of car and have since passed it down to the Mrs.

Maybe my perception of fast cars is skewed but I wouldn't classify as a hot hatch and find the performance quite underwhelming. Decent on fuel but then if you want a car to put miles on just go and get a 320/520d kind of car with similar power and do so in comfort (Christ I'm finally growing up)

Soldato
remember someone (cant remember the username) here got the diesel mazda 3, modded the engine and body to MPS. he ended up getting the real MPS! the thread was hilarious!

get the petrol ST

Ford should never brand the diesel 180bhp wtih ST. i mean its 70bhp less than petrol ST.

Was it?

;)

Back
Top Bottom