Does your employer cheap out on your development box?

Associate
At my last employer I had a Lenovo work station with 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, i7 and two large monitors. They also provided me with an MSDN subscription.

Associate
Yes and no. I've a triple monitor setup consisting of 1x 27" dell and 2x 24" dell, which are fabulous to work with. But then the machine itself contains a heapy cheapy i3, 8GB ram and a 500GB mechanical disk which dies a painful death at even the slightest whiff of Visual Studio, SQL data tools or even MS Excel. It's fine for general office related tasks. but certainly not when having to work with big data and the likes...

Caporegime
We currently order Xeon based Dell Precisions for our devs (and have done for at least 5 years). They all have 3 displays of at least 24" (and usually 16:10), all have solid state OS drives and 16-32GB of RAM depending on when they were ordered.

Even my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15" 7000) has a 1TB NVME drive, an i7 7700HQ, 4K display and 32GB RAM.

Associate
All laptops here - with external screens etc etc. Cloud does all the heavy lifting, don't miss needing a faster rig in the slightest. They're all SSDs of course (and mostly 16GB RAM but not all :( )

Wish we got to pick any laptop in budget though rather than from a very short approved list :(

Back
Top Bottom