How far do you need to be?

Soldato
Currently got a Dell 27" monitor and I have a desk that is 60cm deep, looking at changing the desk which will be 75cm deep then add me leaning back in my chair then I should be over a meter from the monitor.

Now I ahve been looking at the 40"-43" screens and wondering is sitting 1m away enough for day to day gaming, youtubing etc?

Kimbie

Associate
Do you mean far enough for the resolution (blockiness), or for the screen diameter (immersion)?

For computer monitors, 1.0-1.5x monitor diameter is the recommended distance. So for a 40"-43" monitor, you'd be looking at ~100cm-160cm.

For a quick-and-dirty test for your own preference, you can calculate the relative distance with your current setup, and compare it to the new setup. For example, an eye-to-monitor distance of 70cm with your current monitor would be roughly identical to looking at a 40" monitor from a 1m distance (with the same resolution).

Personal experience:
About a year ago I was still using a 42" 1080p HDTV from a 1m distance, so slightly closer than what is recommended. But it was actually good for me. I've since moved on to a 144Hz FreeSync monitor, but the biggest they got was 32". Looking at it from a 75cm distance, even though I would have 30cm more room on the desk. Wishing that someday they'll make a ~40" 1080p 100Hz+ FreeSync monitor. Or 4k, if they ever manage to get all the scaling issues sorted out...

Associate
I use a 43" 4k monitor for work and I have it probably just under 1m away. It did feel a bit overwhelming at first but I'm completely used to it now and find it a really good balance of resolution vs physical size.

Soldato
That's still entirely usable, but if you've been enjoying a large FoV, moving farther back might sting a bit.

For reference, at 100cm away from a 27" screen, it only occupies 33 degrees of your FoV horizontally.

You say right now you are 15cm closer, so let's say 85cm, which would be 39 degrees of your FoV.

You'd need to upgrade to a 32" monitor to get back up to 39 degrees at 100cm away.

But why cant you just move your existing monitor a bit closer on the new desk? Sounds like you'll have more space to work with.

Also a bit more for reference:

40" display at 100cm will be 48 degrees in your FoV so that'd be much bigger than your current situation.

But again, moving your existing monitor closer can also get you big FoV gains. At 60cm, a 27" monitor will be 53 degrees of your FoV, so even bigger than the 40" display at 100cm.

Soldato
For eye-health, the further away the better... For practicality, most people can reach out their arm and their fingertips brush their screen.

We'll all be short sighted by age 60 anyway, why fight it? ;)

Permabanned
What FoV is ideal for FPS games?

On a non Superwide i.e. 16:9 screen if game is Horizontal its 85 or if Vertical its 55.

The old BF2 Calculator tool is still good to work out between the two different methods used and I understand Horizontal better and used to set my games to Hor 85-90 but anymore can start to look fished eyed and in past some MP anti-cheat protection would ban you for going too wide.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
On a non Superwide i.e. 16:9 screen if game is Horizontal its 85 or if Vertical its 55.

The old BF2 Calculator tool is still good to work out between the two different methods used and I understand Horizontal better and used to set my games to Hor 85-90 but anymore can start to look fished eyed and in past some MP anti-cheat protection would ban you for going too wide.

I don't mean FOV in the game... I'm talking about IRL, the relationship between eye-to-screen distance and the size of the monitor... what is ideal. Bottom line, I'm trying to decide between a new 27" or 32" monitor... heart says 32", head is saying 27" would be more appropriate when sitting just over an arm's reach away (approx 28 inches).

Permabanned
I have not seen a 32" 4K in the flesh but a 27" 1440p was hard on the eyes for some things and Windows scaling is still not ideal in all aspects.

I settled for 27" 1080p as a fill gap last week but some thinks can be a little blocky so I just moved screen further back as I tend to have it too close to me to start with.

I would say traditionally the "normal" distance is 2-3 feet for most users.

Go to a store or peeps home and try before you buy.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Definitely getting 1440p, whether 27 or 32". I've got a 24" now that is higher than 1080p, so no way going for 1080p at 27"!!!

Permabanned
I'm not ideally happy as not many 1440p VA screens esp. with G-Sync and for just over £200 down from £400-500ish.

Rog Swift 27" 1440p TN was horrid.

In fact I am, not ideally happy with LCD tech period ( TV is Pioneer Kuro 5090) but what can I do......

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Agreed, you need to throw the notes down. I'm considering the new Samsung, which is a 1440p VA panel, Freesync, but apparently very low latency... around £600. The HDR function is poor, but everything else is supposed to be good in terms of performance.

Permabanned
Copy/Paste from other thread I replied to:

"What is AHVA?
Yet another proprietary "IPS-like" panel type that offers similar performance to PLS. Developed by AUO, AHVA is short for Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle. The acronym can be slightly confusing as AHVA technology will sometimes be mixed up with Vertical Alignment (VA, see below) even though it makes use of In-Plane Switching (IPS).

https://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php "

So if this Lenovo screen I bought is really a Samsung panel it will not be proper VA if from memory Samsung do not do VA but I am not 100% on that.

Back
Top Bottom