FOCUS ST Petrol/Diesel Owners

Associate
20-25 MPG from a petrol ST? I doubt it's that bad tbh

As an owner of a Petrol ST estate for 4 years now and previously a MK5 GTI, I can confirm the MPG on the ST is rubbish and far worse than the Golf. I average 22-23 around town and up to 34 (35 if I drive like miss daisy) on the motorway.

Not an issue for me as I only do circa 6k a year but could be a big problem for others.

Soldato
In fairness the above isn't too far from my experience either - I average around 26-28mpg on a mixed commute and just averaged circa 34mpg from a 700 mile round trip (albeit never hanging about).

Not sure it's worth getting hung up over whether the diesel ST should be called an ST or not, it's still a nice looking car - albeit with a pretty normal diseasel engine. Absolutely is not worth buying a car like that to then modify though, you'd be better taking the hit on fuel and leaving a petrol car standard.

Also not really worth taking a little ***** fit when people comment on a thread mind you :D

Soldato
Yea the petrol ST much like my MPS osnt great on fuel for town driving.

I see around 23mpg going to work and back. (4miles each way in traffic)

On my old work route I was getting 34mpg as it was mostly motorway

Man of Honour
No car is good on fuel for pure traffic town driving except a plug in hybrid.

My 530d averages under 25mpg in short heavy traffic trips.

Associate
As an owner of a Petrol ST estate for 4 years now and previously a MK5 GTI, I can confirm the MPG on the ST is rubbish and far worse than the Golf. I average 22-23 around town and up to 34 (35 if I drive like miss daisy) on the motorway.

Not an issue for me as I only do circa 6k a year but could be a big problem for others.
Really, wow, I know the older Mk2 ST with the 2.5 was bad on petrol is the the mk3 as bad?

Soldato
The mk2 was pretty close to it's official figure of 32 if your actually tried, I could do better than that with a very light foot. But the more recent "estimates" for their newer cars are way off. The mk3 is also quite a bit heavier I think, especially the estate.

Last edited:
Associate
Really, wow, I know the older Mk2 ST with the 2.5 was bad on petrol is the the mk3 as bad?

The mk2 was pretty close to it's official figure of 32 if your actually tried, I could do better than that with a very light foot. But the more recent "estimates" for their newer cars are way off. The mk3 is also quite a bit heavier I think, especially the estate.

I thought they would have improved the MK3, from this thread it actually seems worse!

On a recent 380 mile round trip to Blackpool I got 34.9 out of my MK2.5 ST-3 and that was sitting at 70mph most of the way.

Associate
Sitting at 70 with cruise on, you'd probably see 35mpg. Nowhere near the "official" 39mpg though. I was surprised just how much worse than my Mk5 GTI it was for what is essentially another 4 pot 2.0 turbo (with a few more ponies than a stock GTI)

Soldato
Surprised this thread has had so many new replies :eek: remember we are not welcome to the very exclusive diesel ST owners thread unless we own one or want to lie and tell op how much better it is than the proper version

Soldato
I thought they would have improved the MK3, from this thread it actually seems worse!

On a recent 380 mile round trip to Blackpool I got 34.9 out of my MK2.5 ST-3 and that was sitting at 70mph most of the way.

The old Volvo T5 is a great engine, but probably one thats not possible under current emissions regulations :(

Also sounds 10x better than the 2.0 in the mk3. It will probably last longer as well.

Associate
OP
Im now getting the petrol version ..LOL

seriously though i am .. i think getting the diesel was me being a member of a diesel owners page with a good chunk of owners but then started reading and some of these comments did get me thinking ..

I think being a member of 1 group kind of brain washes you a bit and now i feel stupid .

Soldato
So in the space of a day you've went from.being absolutely convinced post driving both the diesel and petrol versions that the diesel.meets your requirements, to editing every post and then changing your mind because the internet disagreed a bit?

I'm not saying it's the wrong choice necessarily, but are you sure you are ready to spend £25k on a bit of metal?

Soldato
So in the space of a day you've went from.being absolutely convinced post driving both the diesel and petrol versions that the diesel.meets your requirements, to editing every post and then changing your mind because the internet disagreed a bit?

I'm not saying it's the wrong choice necessarily, but are you sure you are ready to spend £25k on a bit of metal?
lol so much editing.
25k to spend, i would be getting a second hand RS.

Soldato
Not sure they have dropped that low yet, but yea I'd stretch a bit for the RS. It will return much more when you sell it as well.

Associate
OP
Not sure they have dropped that low yet, but yea I'd stretch a bit for the RS. It will return much more when you sell it as well.
I have considered the RS it’s my dream car that could be doable but £39k with interest and then 25k for ST on pcp is better suited to my budget and if I don’t want it after the 3 years I can just hand it back and get something else but me being me I don’t like putting money into something then getting nothing back .. atleast with the petrol i might get a bit of equity back putting that on another car .

I should have put the OP as a question not and owners thread . It would have made more sense .

Back
Top Bottom