BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Interesting link..

Code:
Up to 330Mbit/s / 30Mbit/s    01/06/2013        92.00    456.00
Up to 330Mbit/s / 50Mbit/s    16/10/2017        92.00    456.00
Up to 500Mbit/s /165Mbit/s    07/12/2016        500.00    660.00
Up to 1000Mbit/s /220Mbit/s    07/12/2016        500.00    960.00

Looks like 500Mb will be the next option and 330/50 is interesting.

Associate
Interesting.

Although I'm only interested in a higher upload (more download speed doesn't do much after a certain point), and if the theory that Inifnity 2 (80/20) gets pushed up to 100/30 or 130/30 (for free), I'd already be happy about that. The only downside though is I doubt that gfast will be deployed for my area before my "new" contract for Infinity 2 ends in 17 months time, so I'd still end up paying more for "less". Yeah, this news wasn't good for me, was just over 5 weeks ago I renewed my contract. :(

Will also need to look for a spare plug to put in a gfast modem too... *sigh*

Soldato
How did you manage to get 80% off in the first place?

Was something insane like £125 cashback through TCB as a new customer and I took the option to pay the years line rental up front for another 10% off.

Can't fault BT really, it was a stunning deal, but they can't get anywhere near for existing customers, I had the poor lass from their Warrington call centre trying her best to keep me on, best she could do was £35.

Talk talk is £26 with £100 cashback.

Associate
Question for those who have had the speed bump, are you using the home hub or a 3rd party router and did you have to do anything? Got my email two weeks ago and still waiting for boost.

Soldato
Interesting.

Although I'm only interested in a higher upload (more download speed doesn't do much after a certain point), and if the theory that Inifnity 2 (80/20) gets pushed up to 100/30 or 130/30 (for free), I'd already be happy about that. The only downside though is I doubt that gfast will be deployed for my area before my "new" contract for Infinity 2 ends in 17 months time, so I'd still end up paying more for "less". Yeah, this news wasn't good for me, was just over 5 weeks ago I renewed my contract. :(

Will also need to look for a spare plug to put in a gfast modem too... *sigh*
Same, upload is more interesting, although better download speeds do help with those 50 GB Steam games. :D

I will also need to go back to a separate modem if we get G.fast. Kinda sucks not seeing line sync stats. :(

Associate
Be good if the guys on Inf1 who have had the speed bump post if they are using BT's router or a 3rd party router.

I see Moon has posted he is on the Smarthub, anyone had the bump on a none BT router?

Soldato
It's been discussed in the BT infinity thread. I think, they are getting an increase too.

Unlikely. Openreach have no available higher profiles in trial stage at present and G.Fast isn’t widely available. This is simply BT attempting to increase its average speed claim at minimal cost and have a marketing edge against budget providers as it did with 52mbit when everyone else sold 38.

Soldato
Unlikely. Openreach have no available higher profiles in trial stage at present and G.Fast isn’t widely available. This is simply BT attempting to increase its average speed claim at minimal cost and have a marketing edge against budget providers as it did with 52mbit when everyone else sold 38.

This, also its not an upgrade from infinity 1 to 2 but a speed upgrade... the less important elements like cloud drive space etc remain the same.

Soldato
Be good if the guys on Inf1 who have had the speed bump post if they are using BT's router or a 3rd party router.

I see Moon has posted he is on the Smarthub, anyone had the bump on a none BT router?

Your hardware is largely irrelevant, it will impact sync to a minor extent, but it's down to the line stats, if they support the upgrade then you get it, if they don't then you won't.

Associate
Your hardware is largely irrelevant, it will impact sync to a minor extent, but it's down to the line stats, if they support the upgrade then you get it, if they don't then you won't.

My concern is my BT "IP profile for your line is 50.93Mbps" my attainable speed shown in my router stats =70600Kpbs, so a big difference. (on BT 52/10 service)

Back
Top Bottom