Ford GT Mk2

Soldato
I love it saw it at Ford Fair, the driver said it was the best one yet, but i guess he would say that. Seemed to go well and looks stunning.

OcUK Staff
I love it saw it at Ford Fair, the driver said it was the best one yet, but i guess he would say that. Seemed to go well and looks stunning.

Same was walking along with the blue one as it was driving around the paddock. You can forgive it really for everything because the looks are just so damn good, its the kind of car that everyone stares at because its so extreme in styling but in my view also so damn clean and well finished, I can't explain it but if I was choosing any car and it was down purely on looks basis only, then yes a blue Ford GT for me please. However as a total package I'd probably always go with the Porsche 918 Spyder hyper car because that truly is a car you could live with and use daily on the road.

Soldato
Very disappointing indeed. V8 twin turbo would have been better. Weak excuse to make a slow overpriced car for a select few. Nothing more than a marketing stunt and they probably went with a v6 to create more drama and get more coverage over any other reason.

Might as well have made it hybrid and prius like, like the rest of the prius grade joke hyper cars.

OcUK Staff
Very disappointing indeed. V8 twin turbo would have been better. Weak excuse to make a slow overpriced car for a select few. Nothing more than a marketing stunt and they probably went with a v6 to create more drama and get more coverage over any other reason.

Might as well have made it hybrid and prius like, like the rest of the prius grade joke hyper cars.

Too be honest its not slow, far from it, the engine is just meh, I am in the group of people that a fun sports / race car engine should rev high and linear, plus sound absolutely awesome and make you want to rev it out. Cars I find with engines with say a redline of 7500rpm, but your changing gear at 5500rpm because it either sounds totally uneventful or the power goes flat up top are really quite dull to drive. Maybe its because my earlier cars were Vtec Honda's and that is now in my blood. I do love a good rush of torque down low like a turbo gives, but I dislike the power band and noise up top.

Soldato
Too be honest its not slow, far from it, the engine is just meh, I am in the group of people that a fun sports / race car engine should rev high and linear, plus sound absolutely awesome and make you want to rev it out. Cars I find with engines with say a redline of 7500rpm, but your changing gear at 5500rpm because it either sounds totally uneventful or the power goes flat up top are really quite dull to drive. Maybe its because my earlier cars were Vtec Honda's and that is now in my blood. I do love a good rush of torque down low like a turbo gives, but I dislike the power band and noise up top.
It might not be slow but with a v8 tt and more power it would be naturally faster :p

Soldato
Assuming that you are referring to the P1/918/LaF, are you seriously equating them with a Prius "because hybrid"?
Yeah and the Honda nsx as well. They would all be much better without the hybrid crap weighting then down and taking up room that could have given them lower centre of gravity, more cylinders and bigger turbos.

Soldato
Yea but the hybrid crap is the new gimick. Not that people actually want it, but it's a way to dodge taxes.

The new Supra is going the same way. Most likely automatic only as well. Wrong target audience tbh :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah and the Honda nsx as well. They would all be much better without the hybrid crap weighting then down and taking up room that could have given them lower centre of gravity, more cylinders and bigger turbos.

That's debatable, and depends what you mean by "better". Surely the whole point of using electric drive systems is to overcome the drawbacks that more turbos bring, such as lag and responsiveness? I would argue that the ability to supply instant torque from almost any engine speed is part of what makes those cars so incredible and worthy of the "hyper" in the description, given that one of the primary goals of such cars is absolutely ludicrous acceleration figures (whether that equates to a driving better experience or not). I'd wager that's not something that simply slapping more turbos/cylinders on would have achieved.

The fact that they achieve better economy as a result of their design is a bonus, but not the primary goal, as it is with a Prius. So equating them as such based on the fact that they share the concept of a petrol/electric hybrid powertrain is as ridiculous as equating a Ferrari F40, Mclaren F1 or Porsche 911 with a Nissan Micra because they all have a petrol engine which drives the wheels through a gearbox.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea but the hybrid crap is the new gimick. Not that people actually want it, but it's a way to dodge taxes.

The new Supra is going the same way. Most likely automatic only as well. Wrong target audience tbh :(
It does fill a gap in torque though which makes for a smoother experience, not that I've experienced it but I'd imagine it's quite impressive.

Soldato

I reckon most people don't really care about what actually powers the wheels, so I don't think anyone actively doesn't want hybrids, nor consider them a gimmick. They certainly seem popular in my experience.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Tax dodge?? Yes, people who can afford £1m hypercars want hybrids for the lower tax :confused:

I think you'll find it's because that's where cars are headed. It's called the future. The days of large-engined NA cars have gone.

Soldato
That's debatable, and depends what you mean by "better". Surely the whole point of using electric drive systems is to overcome the drawbacks that more turbos bring, such as lag and responsiveness? I would argue that the ability to supply instant torque from almost any engine speed is part of what makes those cars so incredible and worthy of the "hyper" in the description, given that one of the primary goals of such cars is absolutely ludicrous acceleration figures (whether that equates to a driving better experience or not). I'd wager that's not something that simply slapping more turbos/cylinders on would have achieved.

The fact that they achieve better economy as a result of their design is a bonus, but not the primary goal, as it is with a Prius. So equating them as such based on the fact that they share the concept of a petrol/electric hybrid powertrain is as ridiculous as equating a Ferrari F40, Mclaren F1 or Porsche 911 with a Nissan Micra because they all have a petrol engine which drives the wheels through a gearbox.
instant torque, linear power bands, smooth gears shifts, no loss of traction. :o

what you want from a hyper car is violence, flames, noises. you need to feel like you are in a death speed machine at all times and 1 mistakes ends in fireballs and rolling. playing top trumps is great and all, but if you want to drive a car and not sit it in a shed for the investment or have it to look cool, then you want it to drive and it needs to be thrilling. think if all hyper cars were like a ferrari F40 with 3x the hp all the morons who tried to drive them and have not skill will be in trees and round lamposts on fire, instead you can get out of the prius and drive your hyper prius with you foot to the floor everywhere with nanny control on and be fine :(

Soldato
I just see the back of the car and think of this!
388b3c2568914c46fb3b8abb481e4a64--angry-birds-th-birthday.jpg

Soldato
instant torque, linear power bands, smooth gears shifts, no loss of traction. :o

what you want from a hyper car is violence, flames, noises. you need to feel like you are in a death speed machine at all times and 1 mistakes ends in fireballs and rolling. playing top trumps is great and all, but if you want to drive a car and not sit it in a shed for the investment or have it to look cool, then you want it to drive and it needs to be thrilling. think if all hyper cars were like a ferrari F40 with 3x the hp all the morons who tried to drive them and have not skill will be in trees and round lamposts on fire, instead you can get out of the prius and drive your hyper prius with you foot to the floor everywhere with nanny control on and be fine :(
Those might be the characteristics desired by people whose closest experience will be a poster or a desktop background but is that what the people actually digging their hands in their pockets for million dollar cars want?

Man of Honour
OP
Those might be the characteristics desired by people whose closest experience will be a poster or a desktop background but is that what the people actually digging their hands in their pockets for million dollar cars want?

Most want to have the latest emperors new clothes sadly these days in my experience :(

Back
Top Bottom