The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
No, but you're using the Sigma wrongly in that case. Practice more and you'll find they are very evenly matched.

All things being equal, conditions, user, light, the Canon mk2 is better in sharpness, CA control. That's what DXO marks do, they test things with equal conditions. So, they are not evenly matched, the Canon is objectively, unquestionable, a better lens. Is it MILES ahead? no, but it is still ahead.

In real life, you would be hard press to tell the difference, the clients certainly won't. However, I can't tell you how nice it is not having to deal with CA, at all.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
At the end of the day you could not afford the 5DIV or else you would have purchased it! So cut the waffle!

Do you genuinely believe what you have just posted?

Maybe you buy expensive things just because of material value, but I prefer investing wisely. I buy for my needs and desires, not for my internet cred.

Permabanned
No, but you're using the Sigma wrongly in that case. Practice more and you'll find they are very evenly matched.

"Wrongly" They are both used the same way as you would any lens, you are obviously poor and cannot afford even a Sigma so why do we care about your inane comments?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Do you genuinely believe what you have just posted?

Maybe you buy expensive things just because of material value, but I prefer investing wisely. I buy for my needs and desires, not for my internet cred.

I buy the correct tool for the job, you buy what you can afford... the 6DM2!!!!

Permabanned
All things being equal, conditions, user, light, the Canon mk2 is better in sharpness, CA control. That's what DXO marks do, they test things with equal conditions. So, they are not evenly matched, the Canon is objectively, unquestionable, a better lens. Is it MILES ahead? no, but it is still ahead.

In real life, you would be hard press to tell the difference, the clients certainly won't. However, I can't tell you how nice it is not having to deal with CA, at all.

+1 at last somebody that obviously owns the lens and can present facts!!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
In other news, the 35 MkII should be arriving today. Always amazes me how something from the other side of the planet can get delivered within 3 days, yet sometimes local couriers struggle to ship things in-land for the same timescale.

Wedding shoot tomorrow so will be able to give it a good running vs the Sigma.

Permabanned
In other news, the 35 MkII should be arriving today. Always amazes me how something from the other side of the planet can get delivered within 3 days, yet sometimes local couriers struggle to ship things in-land for the same timescale.

Wedding shoot tomorrow so will be able to give it a good running vs the Sigma.

Good choice!

When my 35mm MKII arrived it was a little soft, so it took a quick trip to Elstree for recalibration and is now bitingly sharp...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ride mic? Sodding Chinese knock offs :mad: :p

Just packing the kit I'll need for tomorrow and had a play around with the Canon 35mm with some quick back and forth between it and the Sigma.

I have to say, in the hands the Sigma looks and feels like a more substantial lens, but I know that the Canon is more of an engineering feat on the inside. Because of the exterior metal used on the Sigma, the Sigma feels like the tougher lens as well, The Canon is all plastic.

When did canon change their lens hood design with a latch button so it locks in place? The last L I had was the 24-105 and don't recall it having a similar hood locking system. I really like that.

Quite sharp wide open, but then again so is the Sigma. the real test will be tomorrow!

2017.10.13_1913.15_0001.jpg

Observation: The Canon's front element is larger than the Sigma. I'd have expected them both to be the same size given they are both 1.4...

Back
Top Bottom