Three UK Wifi Calling Help and Advice

Associate
Hi Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area, but first time here
Basically, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 which is being used on the Three UK Network but because I did not buy the phone directly from Three, they will not enable WiFi calling and I have to use their app instead, which is rubbish!
I want my phone to think it was bought from Three UK so this feature works. I guess by rooting it and adding their firmware etc this will work, but unsure?
Can anyone advise me on this?
Thanks

Soldato
Hi Sorry if I am posting in the wrong area, but first time here
Basically, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 which is being used on the Three UK Network but because I did not buy the phone directly from Three, they will not enable WiFi calling and I have to use their app instead, which is rubbish!
I want my phone to think it was bought from Three UK so this feature works. I guess by rooting it and adding their firmware etc this will work, but unsure?
Can anyone advise me on this?
Thanks

You don't need to root to change the firmware as long as you flash an official firmware from 3 you will also keep Knox and warranty intact

Soldato
In theory just flashing a Three based ROM over the existing one would do the trick but the Wi-Fi calling system used by networks is authenticated on both sides so it might also require the Three platform to have you registered in their system for it to work. I'd check out XDA to see if anyone has done it before to see if it works. Generally networks will just add you to the platform if you ask nicely but it's not unknown for this to be denied on grounds of it not being a network sourced handset (even though it's only a certificate on the handset that makes this functionality work).

Soldato
I can confirm, all you need to do is flash official Three firmware onto your s8 which will give you WiFi calling. works on mine fine.

Only thing to note is three WiFi calling only kicks in when there is little or no reception. Unlike EE where it kicks in on WiFi regardless.

Associate
I can confirm, all you need to do is flash official Three firmware onto your s8 which will give you WiFi calling. works on mine fine.

Only thing to note is three WiFi calling only kicks in when there is little or no reception. Unlike EE where it kicks in on WiFi regardless.
Hi there I am having the same problem. Any advice on how to do what you recommend? Thanks

Soldato
3 WiFi calling worked on my xperia Z2 and on my current Redmi Note 3 global.

nice one, looks like 3's list isn't at all accurate these days!

fyi, it also worked on a Samsung S7 with BTU firmware. it previously only worked when using the 3 Firmware.

Guess its trial and error

Glad to see 3 allowing this option on payg! wish all providers do this at some stage

Associate
I live in the Bournemouth area and without wifi calling l would have to ditch 3, as their indoor signal is hopeless.
Out in the wild the signal is perfectly OK.
The only gripe with the Wi-fi calling is the calls and texts come in through the 3athome app and not the phone systems if that makes sense.

Associate
Is anyone using an unlocked note 9 on 3 and getting WiFi calling and lte calling? I would be interested in changing to 3 but don't want to lose these features as I currently have them on EE. Also is three data whilst roaming still heavily throttled? I travel to Spain a fair bit so this is important to me, I am aware that 4g data roaming isn't available and can live without that, but don't want a service that is unusable

Soldato
re: Volte
I have poor 3g reception, so want to exploit either wi-fi calling or 4g super-voice.(Volte) at home.
  • One lady told me 4G super voice is not available with their PAYG , and that I would need a monthly contract, another guy said it is ?
    [I understand for 4G supervoice there are only a few select iphone models this would work on, if you did not purchase from three]

Associate
Just popped into a three shop, they stated that as log as the phone supports it then both WiFi calling and volte should work, the said it isn't locked to phones only from 3 anymore and should work on all device's, as long as the device has the options built in.

Soldato
Just popped into a three shop, they stated that as log as the phone supports it then both WiFi calling and volte should work, the said it isn't locked to phones only from 3 anymore and should work on all device's, as long as the device has the options built in.

There must be some way to enable/disable it then, as I dont get it on my Pixel 2 with a Pay monthly 3 SIM.

Soldato
Yeah I'm not sure the store is correct. The wifi calling option is missing from the firmware on my Pixel AFAIK.
you need the separate app from the threes site.

the said it isn't locked to phones only from 3 anymore and should work on all device's, as long as the device has the options built in.
as I said they told me you needed an >iphone6 or a three phone ...but tell us if you get it to work

whilst googling spotted a thread here, still warm.. how to force Volte etc
Three '4g super voice' VoLTE

Back
Top Bottom