Setting up and running a website from home

Soldato
Hi all,

I have just purchased a domain name that I want to display a simple website with some information about my business.

Now I have a Server 2012r2 server at home, so was going to host it with IIS.

I have followed guides online to setup IIS and believe I have done it correctly.

But I don't quite understand how to get my domain that I have bought to point to my web server?

If it makes a difference I have a dynamic IP at home, so will be using DDNS. Could anyone show me/link me to a guide on how to set it up?

Cheers

Soldato
why would you want to run it from home? electricity costs alone will be higher than using online hosting in 99.9% of cases before we even get into security issues.

Soldato
I agree. Web hosting can cost peanuts. For what you want just choose the cheapest option you can find. You shouldn’t pay more than £20 for a year.
This way you don’t need to worry about security, uptime, etc.

Soldato
Some ISPs don't allow you to host online services on a residential connection. Plus your uptime will be nowhere near as good as a decent web host. What happens in a power cut? What happens in a fire? What happens if you are robbed?

Seriously you can get really good hosting from a company like Linode for $5 a month. Why would you host it yourself? It is just madness.

Soldato
OP
Because I already have a server at home that is on 24/7, which on UPS, and a very stable (fttp) connection. It's not a mission critical website, I just want to have something that I can send people to for info etc.

Soldato
You need to create an A record for your domain tonpoont to your WAN IP address.

As you have dynamic you will need to create a CNAME instead of an A record to point to your DDNS name.

Set your port forward on your router and done.

I’m in agreement with others though, a cloud web host is significantly better, you don’t have to faff with IIS. Just FTP it up there (or install CMS of your choice).

Permabanned
If you have to ask the question how to do it then it seriously will be better just buying something in the cloud and hosting it that way. You will constantly run into configuration issues if you not sure on how to even start. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it just advising against it to start. It's do-able though if you REALLY want too.

Back
Top Bottom