Windows Home Server 2011 - replace as its out of support?

Associate
I've got a HP microserver (N54L, the one with the 2.2Ghz AMD processor) running Windows Home Server 2011. It's mainly there to hold all our files (running crashplan as a cloud back up) and do a bit of Plex serving and the occasional NZB. It works fine, and I'll only upgrade the hardware when it breaks.

However, WHS 2011 is out of mainstream support, but I'm still getting monthly security updates according to the update log (last one was 10th October 2017). Looking on the MS site I can't see when the security updates will stop as the only date they give on the lifecycle is the end of mainstream support (April 2016).

Should I be worried its out of mainstream support, even if the security updates seem to keep coming? Given its duties inside my network (serving files etc, never web surfing etc), will it be as safe as it could be for now? And how do I find out when the security updates will stop coming given the MS Website seems silent on the issue? Server 2008 seems to exit extended support in 2020 and I read that WHS 2011 is based on that - maybe that will be the date?

Given it works fine, I'm not keen to spend any time or money on it unless I have to!

Associate
Unless its for a business or super critical to avoid any downtime i'd stick with it. I'm still running the original WHS on my N36L without any issues though I may swap to Server 2012 at some point.

Essentially if it ain't broke... :)

Associate
It depends how much you care about the data on there. If it's accessible outside of your network (which is probably is if it's running Plex) then there is always the chance of a Windows exploit coming to light somewhere down the line and you getting hit.

Associate
OP
Hmm. Maybe i need to lock down plex.

Server essentials 2016 seems to have some seriously varying price points. Can't work out which one i would need to pay for!

Associate
I'd stick with WHS, I'm running it on a Dell T20 with a 128GB SSD for the OS, 4x6TB WD RED drives in virtual RAID (DriveBender), 1x2TB Drive for CCTV (Blue Iris), 1x1TB server backup drive and a 500GB client computer backup drive. Runs incredibly quickly with everything including Plex. I've only set this system up in August and I've no intention of changing it just yet, it just works. I've even got an old HP MediaSmart server out in the garage that wakes up every morning, does a backup of user files (using SyncToy) and hibernates again for the rest of the day.

Soldato
My "original" WHS refused to back up Win 10 PCs so I abandoned its use.
I now just back up files / photos on a ProLiant Microserver running Win 7 and make a clone of the win 10 drive occasionally.

Mel

Associate
My "original" WHS refused to back up Win 10 PCs so I abandoned its use.
I now just back up files / photos on a ProLiant Microserver running Win 7 and make a clone of the win 10 drive occasionally.

Mel
If you're interested it could be THIS? I had to apply this fix and re-install the connector software on the computers with the issue.

Soldato
If you're interested it could be THIS? I had to apply this fix and re-install the connector software on the computers with the issue.

Mine was the original home server (WHS1 - 2006/7) and there were no hotfixes for this to deal with UEFI systems, only for WHS2 (2011). That's why I abandoned WHS1.

Mel

Associate
Aah, OK, way way way out of support then. I'm still using WHSv1 on an original HP Microserver as a backup NAS for my WHS2011 server, works well using SyncToy each morning wakes up, backs up, and hibernates when done until the next morning.

Associate
If you do update I would recommend server 2016 essentials.
I got a key for £20 and downloaded it on microsofts website. Works well and feels quite a bit faster than WHS 11 especially when going into the server via remote desktop

Be warned though it took me 6 hours of messing about as I couldn't get the network port to work. Turns out the bios I was on (from 2011) wasn't properly supported and updating it was a real pain in the A** especially since its not easy to get hold off

Caporegime
If you do update I would recommend server 2016 essentials.
I got a key for £20 and downloaded it on microsofts website. Works well and feels quite a bit faster than WHS 11 especially when going into the server via remote desktop

Be warned though it took me 6 hours of messing about as I couldn't get the network port to work. Turns out the bios I was on (from 2011) wasn't properly supported and updating it was a real pain in the A** especially since its not easy to get hold off

I use server 2016 essentials too but it’s annoying as it wants to be a domain server. You can get around this but I’ve not find a way for clients to autologin when not domain clients.

Back
Top Bottom