Seagate HDD Initialization Problem

Associate
I completed my PC build on friday, Installed Windows 10 onto the 120GB SSD and installed all drivers for the MoBo and GPU.

Everything works fine in that configuration.

I then installed a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD for extra storage. I began the process of intializing the drive but halfway through formatting it froze and refused to go any further. I waited roughly and hour and a half but this didn't resolve anything.

In the end I had to hard reboot the system, but since then I cannot get the system to Boot up with the HDD attached. (Boots fine without).

Is this drive useless now or can it be saved?

Associate
OP
I tried the above with no success. I have emailed the company I bought the drive from but have had no response.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new drive :(

Associate
Hi Noakesy85,

it sounds like you did not buy the HDD from us directly.

However, there is no need to buy a new drive immediately. We would like to help you diagnose any issues you might have with that drive. Could you please open up a Ticket with us by entering your drive's serial number to discuss this further?

Associate
OP
Hi Noakesy85,

it sounds like you did not buy the HDD from us directly.

However, there is no need to buy a new drive immediately. We would like to help you diagnose any issues you might have with that drive. Could you please open up a Ticket with us by entering your drive's serial number to discuss this further?

Hey SS, Sorry I didnt realise you had replied all those months ago. I still haven't sorted this issue out so my PC is currently sitting in its box until I find the time to rectify the drive problem or buy a new HDD. If you have any ideas I'd more than happy to try anything if it means I don't need to waste a brand new drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the HDD being detected in the bios even though it will not boot in to Windows?

What happens when you boot the PC up with the HDD attached? does it error or just gets to a point of booting and then doesn't get any further?

Maybe when the HDD is attached the PC is trying to boot from this instead of the SSD, when the HDD is connected check the bios for the boot order and make sure the SSD is the boot drive rather than the HDD.

If you can get in to windows with the HDD connected try and run Seagate tools on it

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Associate
OP
Is the HDD being detected in the bios even though it will not boot in to Windows?

What happens when you boot the PC up with the HDD attached? does it error or just gets to a point of booting and then doesn't get any further?

Maybe when the HDD is attached the PC is trying to boot from this instead of the SSD, when the HDD is connected check the bios for the boot order and make sure the SSD is the boot drive rather than the HDD.

If you can get in to windows with the HDD connected try and run Seagate tools on it

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Morning ED,

Last time I checked it wasn't being detected by the BIOS, I may have to set it up this evening and double check though.

With it attached, it just gets to a point of booting and then freezes.

Its frustrating as hell as I've never had this problem before.

Soldato
Does the HDD make any strange noises at all when connected?

Do you have another PC you can test it in or a external caddy to put it in once the PC has booted?

a bit strange its causing the PC not to boot if the bios cannot see the HDD, once its connected try the boot order in the bios and see if its being set as the boot drive.

Associate
OP
The HDD doesn't make any strange noises at all. Unfortunately I haven't got anything to test it in, I may have to ask a mate of mine to try it in his rig.

Looking at it closer, the drive is visible in the SATA list. But it doesn't show up in the boot priority list.

When the pic starts up with the drive connected it gets to the first load screen with the ASUS logo and the whirling vortex of doom just keeps going round. It won't go any further!!

Associate
Hey SS, Sorry I didnt realise you had replied all those months ago. I still haven't sorted this issue out so my PC is currently sitting in its box until I find the time to rectify the drive problem or buy a new HDD. If you have any ideas I'd more than happy to try anything if it means I don't need to waste a brand new drive.

Bugger. Sorry to hear you're still having trouble here. Have you looked into any potential warranty information on the drive? You can use our Warranty Validation Tool if you'd like to go that road. You can try scanning the drive for errors using our free diagnostic utility SeaTools. If you can't get that to work in your OS, there is a DOS version as well that sometimes sees things a little better at a more basic level. If you're still running into trouble, I'd definitely get in touch directly with Seagate Support on this one.

Associate
OP
I tried the warranty tool, no luck there unfortunately :(

I've asked a friend to try the drive in his rig, ill ask him to run the SeaTools utility to see if it shows up any errors.

In the meantime, I have contacted the company I bought the drive from again to see where I stand with getting a replacement. Hopefully I'll get a reply from them this time.

Soldato
I tried the warranty tool, no luck there unfortunately :(

I've asked a friend to try the drive in his rig, ill ask him to run the SeaTools utility to see if it shows up any errors.

In the meantime, I have contacted the company I bought the drive from again to see where I stand with getting a replacement. Hopefully I'll get a reply from them this time.

Did you get a reply from them the first time you contacted them or did they no get back to you?

Associate
OP
Did you get a reply from them the first time you contacted them or did they no get back to you?

Not the first time round, and to be honest I had completely forgotten about it until the other night. If nothing comes of this I'll just have to buy a new HDD from OCUK. Like I should have done in the first place.

Soldato
If the HDD is under warranty go through Seagate. No reason why you should pay for a new HDD is Seagate can replace it for you.

How old is the drive? under a year? as im guessing this is why your going through the company who bought it from?

Associate
OP
Why not try the Seagate website? it may have no warranty with them but there maybe warranty still with Seagate, link below

http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_validation.jsp

I tried Seagate, this is what i got...

Component
The product you identified was sold as a system component. Please contact your place of purchase for service. Seagate sells many drives to direct OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. These products are usually configured for the OEMs only, as components for their systems. You must contact your place of purchase for any warranty support on these drives.

Look like I'm **** outta luck on this one :(

Soldato
That's a shame. I guess warranty is different to buying the drive on its own than if its supplied with a PC build from HP\Dell for example.

to be honest HDDs are quite cheap these days.

What size was the drive?

Back
Top Bottom