*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
Can you not just setup the echo to output through your Sonos system?

Use the echo as a mic, and the legacy Sonos speakers as speakers?

I've just done this tonight. My echo is in the kitchen and I asked it to play music (Radio 2) in the dining room on my Play:1 - it worked well. Until I asked the kitchen echo to play Radio 2 too and it was out of sync :(

The Play:1 can be bought for £180, so it appears to make (a little) financial sense for those already with an echo/dot to buy the Play:1 and not the 'Sonos One'. Although, I can't see how they can continue to sell the Play:1 and the 'One' (they don't make it easy do they?!) so similarly priced.

For casual, background listening though, I think I'd rather buy two new Echos than one Sonos Play:1/One.

Man of Honour
I've just done this tonight. My echo is in the kitchen and I asked it to play music (Radio 2) in the dining room on my Play:1 - it worked well. Until I asked the kitchen echo to play Radio 2 too and it was out of sync :(

The Play:1 can be bought for £180, so it appears to make (a little) financial sense for those already with an echo/dot to buy the Play:1 and not the 'Sonos One'. Although, I can't see how they can continue to sell the Play:1 and the 'One' (they don't make it easy do they?!) so similarly priced.

For casual, background listening though, I think I'd rather buy two new Echos than one Sonos Play:1/One.
If you seperately have two devices playing the same source they will be out of sync unless you group them in the Sonos app.

Soldato
The new SONOS App update has changed the background to white, not sure I am keen on this, they could have given the option to revert back to the older colour scheme.

Associate
Am not that hugely bothered about the voice control tbh. Tried at the weekend to put the Alexa app on my phone and see if I could control my Play:1 and managed to get as far as pairing with my SONOS account and then when I went to the 'search for devices' all it would do was put me to a screen saying I needed to install the smart home skill......I had and was going through it.

Tried phone re-boot, uninstall and re-install and even changing wifi network but was always getting the same error.

Gave up trying in the end and will just stick to manually picking the music I want.

May go back and try it again at a later date, but wont rush back to that

Associate
If anyone has a spare code for the £25-off-Dot via Sonos I'd volunteer to take it off your hands! For some reason I've not received one. Cheers!

Edit, no worries sorted. Anyone else with this issue just DM Sonos support on twitter and they will send you the code directly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Reviews of the One are out. Looks like it’s basically identical to the original with the addition of some microphones.

Now just need to fathom out of it’s worth sending the two Play:1s back and getting two of these instead. Would b useful in the bathroom.

Associate
My Sonos One has been dispatched with an estimated delivery of Monday.

First Sonos speaker so hopefully it live up to the hype!

Man of Honour
Got my Echo Dot working with Sonos, tried 'Echo play Radio X in the kitchen' and I ended up rocking along to French Radio X. You have to specify UK when you ask, bit odd but I found it funny.

Associate
Got my Echo Dot working with Sonos, tried 'Echo play Radio X in the kitchen' and I ended up rocking along to French Radio X. You have to specify UK when you ask, bit odd but I found it funny.

Works fine if I jut ask it to play Radio 1, same setup.

Soldato
Just got an email from SONOS about Echo integration, with a £25 off code for an Echo. Will order one and see what it's like.
I had this email too, and ordered a Dot to put upstairs - we have an (original) Echo in the living room, and the downstairs has a Play 5 (original), Playbar & Sub and Play 1 (original) in various places. Voice control works ok on these......so I put the Dot upstairs, where 3 of the bedrooms have Play 1 (originals) and Hue lights - can now voice control effectively upstairs, when actually up there, with the £25 addition :)

Back
Top Bottom