Asus Xonar problem

Associate
Morning all,

I bought this card from OCUK last year
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...rd-with-built-in-headphone-amp-sc-011-as.html

and found since the last Windows Update (probably Creator Pack) that whenever the PC is switched on after being in sleep mode, the soundcard is set into headphone mode and will not play sound through the speakers. I have to manually open the Asus Xonar app, change it from headphone to 2 speaker set up for sound to come through my speakers.

What is strange is that the headphones would be plugged into the same socket all I am doing is changing the sound mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks

NB

Soldato
That is bizarre, to the point of being an impossibility.

The sound card cannot know whether headphones or speakers are connected, hence the option to select which you have connected.

The only difference between selecting headphones or speakers is the DSP effects that are available, depending on the selection. Stereo is stereo and is the same for both.

Still, no surprise that Windows 10 update screws around with sound. I've lost count how times I've read that updates have messed around with sound in some way.

You could try try Uni Xonar drivers, if you haven't already; see if they make any difference.

Associate
OP
Bizarre as it is, I assure you it is possible! It is almost as the software doesn't recognise the soundcard until the settings are changed from headphone to 2 speaker which then "switches it on". The 3.5mm jack is not moved or even touched.

Associate
OP
That is correct. Waking up from sleep it is in FP Headphone mode under the "analogue out" tab. I have to manually select 2 speakers for the sound card to wake up and play sound. If I then subsequently select headphone, it will work although the volume is distinctly lower but I imagine that is how it is set up.

NB

Soldato
Hmm. Have you tried the Uni Xonar drivers? Link

Worth giving those a try if you haven't already. If they make no difference, then I'm not sure anything else can be done, other than waiting for Microsoft to fix whatever it is that they broke.

Soldato
I'm still on Win7. Won't get Win10 until I absolutely have to.

I've used Uni drivers though for the Xonar cards I have had (DG, DS and Essence ST). I never really had any issues with Asus' own drivers though; but then issues with Win7 seemed to be less common compared to Win10 up to this point. There have always been a few people with driver issues, especially once Vista arrived, but 7, 8, 8.1, seemed to fare much better. Certainly the amount of threads with people having sound issues went up once Win10 arrived; especially when it came to updates.

Back
Top Bottom