The Climbing Thread

Soldato
OP
Got my Star Citizen refund, so just treated myself to some La Sportiva Solutions today :)

No excuses for those niggly little technical routes now. Had a great 3 hour session on Sunday morning, was sailing through all the mid-level problems. Been concentrating on technique on the intermediate rather than busting my balls on trying to beat harder routes and it's paying off. Flowing nicely, moving legs smoothly on the overhangs instead of slipping off and grunting and swearing like beck when I didn't have the core strength for it.

Soldato
OP
I've been dragging the other half to Font quite a lot lately and she seems to like it. There is so much stuff there for all abilities and even on those days when its too hot to climb or your skin is a bit **** you can still get some great circuits done.

I take it there are places you can rent mats there?

Soldato
If anyone’s heading up Buachaille Etive Mor, be aware on Crowberry Tower there’s a huge piece of overhanging rock that you have to go under in order to get to the top of the tower.

We quickly made our way under and down as it looks well dodgy.

I have a photo from my GoPro that I’ll upload later.

If I go back there I’ll ascend by another route.

Soldato
you can still get some great circuits done

I take it there are places you can rent mats there?
only spent a few days there a few years back, you just spotted for others in your group.
circuits are a joy, without encumbrance of ropes can make so much progress.
needed a car to get around though, otherwise could consider it via eurostar from uk for weekend ? unless you shell out.

Soldato
OP
I'll be driving from wurstland so car not a problem. Got a couple of people interested, can probably persuade the gf to come as resident photographer too.

Made an appointment to get my toe looked at, I've had pain in the big toe joint after exercise for years, think it's from a fatty stamping on my foot playing rugby years back. Not that painful but chronic and starting to interfere with my climbing, hopefully an easy fix.

Soldato
can you use chalk, or do you have to use that clear resin stuff - can't remember its name.

Any particular recommendations for finger tapes, treating flappers (had used a french brand strappel and then some USA johnson & johnson sport tape),
but nothing caught my eye on last googling.

Soldato
After being recommended to give climbing a try I'm going bouldering next week. Never been a strong climber even when I was a kid, but looking forward to it.

Soldato
OP
Enjoy! It's worth persevering over the painful first few sessions until you get your grip strength up....can be just kinda frustrating and painful at first. Doesn't take long to get past it though...

Annoyingly my toe pain has flared up, can't walk after yesterday's session. Just been to the docs and they've taken blood, will see results tomorrow. Hope it's nothing permanent :S

Soldato
can you use chalk, or do you have to use that clear resin stuff - can't remember its name.

It's a bit of a controversial issue.

The French would say use pof, the British generally use chalk. Both probably aren't great for the sandstone.

I'd definitely say bring a door mat or towel to wipe your shoes so that they are clean before you climb.

Soldato
I've been getting back on the bouldering the last week. It turns out I've strained a flexor unit, but if I buddy tape my ring and little fingers so I can't move them independently I can get back on some easier routes.

It's also the first weekend me and my partner have had free for a while where neither of us have been injured so we're going to head over to Wales to do an easy classic, Amphitheatre Buttress. It's going to be a windy day, but hopefully the aspect of it should give us some shelter until we top out. Looking forward to it as I've not been out on proper rock since August!

Any particular recommendations for finger tapes, treating flappers (had used a french brand strappel and then some USA johnson & johnson sport tape),
but nothing caught my eye on last googling.

I just buy Strappal tape from Amazon or eBay, it seems cheaper than most climbing specific tape and is also a lot stickier.

Soldato
Well Amphitheatre Buttress turned into a long day! We got hammered by rain all day so what should have been a relatively simple romp up a mountain vdiff turned into a completely different beast. Smearing my way up slippery wet slabs in big boots certainly made things more challenging for the grade and it took us 9 hours from car to car! On the plus side, the weather put a lot of people off so we had the whole mountain to ourselves.

Soldato
Bouldering was tough - I enjoyed it, although conscious that I'm lacking the balance / coordination / flexibility and upper body strength at the moment. Plan on going again though, worth another try!

Associate
Bouldering was tough - I enjoyed it, although conscious that I'm lacking the balance / coordination / flexibility and upper body strength at the moment. Plan on going again though, worth another try!

Keep at it! I've just completed the moment and technique course at the Bristol climbing academy which has really helped both my bouldering and rope climbing. If there are any courses at you bouldering centre I would recommend looking into them.

Soldato
so do they teach both gri-gri's & figure8/tubular for belaying ?
I'm a traditionalist liking tubulars - and paying attention; but with millenials and the distraction of mobiles, you could end up dead.

closest I have climbed to Bristol is Lundy - nice granite & birds, we should have rented the lighthouse, as opposed to blockhouse - trip by boat add's to the romance of it.

Soldato
I'm a traditionalist liking tubulars - and paying attention; but with millenials and the distraction of mobiles, you could end up dead.

I've always been a fan of the basic belay devices, I've had a DMM Bug for years. However I've just treated myself to a new DMM Pivot after everyone seems to rave about them.

Soldato
OP
Been in Sweden on work this week and managed to get along to a gym there with some colleagues.

First time I've used a gym with graded routes so it was nice to get an idea of where I'm at (although obviously not that reliable). I was flashing all the 5s, beating the 6As reliably and did a 6B+ which felt like the kind of level I can beat regularly with a couple sessions figuring out the problem.

Most importantly, this arthritis in my toe is fading....was a bit concerned about it initially.

Back
Top Bottom