Should I buy this PSU?

Associate
I've got a gtx 1070 coming, and run a i7 4790k.

And this dude is selling this PSU for £60 collected.
Corsair CX750M 750W ATX 80 Bronze PC Power Supply Black 120mm Fan Protection PSU

Yay or nay? Should I negotiate down a bit more ?
(Sorry copy paste made this text like this )

Associate
I've got a gtx 1070 coming, and run a i7 4790k.

And this dude is selling this PSU for £60 collected.
Corsair CX750M 750W ATX 80 Bronze PC Power Supply Black 120mm Fan Protection PSU

Yay or nay? Should I negotiate down a bit more ?
(Sorry copy paste made this text like this )
Definitely not. You don't need 750w for that hardware, and you can find better (brand new) PSU's for less money

Corsair CX550M 550 W 80+ Bronze (semi-modular, 5 year warranty)

Super Flower Platinum King 550W 80 Plus Platinum (non-modular, 5 year warranty, but higher efficiency).

For pretty high-end hardware, I wouldn't ever risk it on a second-hand PSU.

Also, assuming it's the old version of the CX750M I would definitely avoid anyway due to its low-spec design.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Definitely not. You don't need 750w for that hardware, and you can find better (brand new) PSU's for less money

Corsair CX550M 550 W 80+ Bronze (semi-modular, 5 year warranty)

Super Flower Platinum King 550W 80 Plus Platinum (non-modular, 5 year warranty, but higher efficiency).

For pretty high-end hardware, I wouldn't ever risk it on a second-hand PSU.

Also, assuming it's the old version of the CX750M I would definitely avoid anyway due to its low-spec design.
Thanks for the reply, you're completely right. I might go for the super flower. But is it enough if I decide to overclock the gpu a bit if I need to? Don't think I'll need to do cpu. Seems pointless for me

Associate
Thanks for the reply, you're completely right. I might go for the super flower. But is it enough if I decide to overclock the gpu a bit if I need to? Don't think I'll need to do cpu. Seems pointless for me
Yeah, you'll have plenty of overhead. You could even run a GTX 1080 easily.

To give you an idea of how little power you'll use, another user with a similar PC recently said:

To give you a idea of power draw the pc in my siggy along with several fans, temp sensors, 2x fan controllers and all the watercooling stuff hit a max of just under 300w at the wall when benching with the gpu heavily overclocked. This is with the cpu and memory overclocked as well. Normal gaming use is 122-252w at the wall depending on the game.

Their sig says:
[email protected]/Asus Maximus VI Hero/Seasonic G750w/Inno3d GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3/16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21 1N/SK Hynix SL301 250GB SSD/Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD/ Watercooling-AquaXtreme 50z pump/EK Supremacy Evo/Aquacomputer Kryographics GTX1080/XSPC Photon 270 res/Coolgate G2 360mm+CG360

I would just make sure that the Superflower PSU I linked has all the connectors you'll need, as it isn't modular or semi-modular. There are other similarly priced options available, but not on Overclockers. So if you really wanted modular/semi-modular you'd have to shop around.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, you'll have plenty of overhead. You could even run a GTX 1080 easily.

To give you an idea of how little power you'll use, another user with a similar PC recently said:

Their sig says:
[email protected]/Asus Maximus VI Hero/Seasonic G750w/Inno3d GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3/16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21 1N/SK Hynix SL301 250GB SSD/Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD/ Watercooling-AquaXtreme 50z pump/EK Supremacy Evo/Aquacomputer Kryographics GTX1080/XSPC Photon 270 res/Coolgate G2 360mm+CG360

I would just make sure that the Superflower PSU I linked has all the connectors you'll need, as it isn't modular or semi-modular. There are other similarly priced options available, but not on Overclockers. So if you really wanted modular/semi-modular you'd have to shop around.
I think the psu you linked is absolutely fine, should work. Kinda wanted modular for airflow and make it look neater. But money wise it's not really that much worth it is it

Associate
I think the psu you linked is absolutely fine, should work. Kinda wanted modular for airflow and make it look neater. But money wise it's not really that much worth it is it
Not really. The cable-management airflow 'myth' was shown by LTT to be just that, a myth (upto a point).

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't buy unless it's the silver label, oka it was green label and not an M, but I had the 600w version few weeks ago 2nd hand that I paid £20, worked like a charm, but sold it for same price few days later when I found my supernova.

Which is another thing, my evga was brand new sealed I got for £35 because it was an RMA replacement, but they purchased a more powerful version before it arrived, so an £83 psu for near half the cost because of no warranty, so there's plenty of options, you would need to get 20-30 quid off the 750 to justify.

Back
Top Bottom