UPTO 2K BUILD FOR 4K GAMING

Soldato
Is your current system the one in your sig? Asking because processor, memory, SSD would be fine for gaming @ 4K where GPU is the bottleneck.

Should mention that 4K 120HZ screens from Asus and Acer are in the works for Q1 2018, although cost may be an issue.

Associate
OP
Is your current system the one in your sig? Asking because processor, memory, SSD would be fine for gaming @ 4K where GPU is the bottleneck.

Should mention that 4K 120HZ screens from Asus and Acer are in the works for Q1 2018, although cost may be an issue.

Not for me, it's for a friend, needs a whole system has nothing.

Soldato
Not for me, it's for a friend, needs a whole system has nothing.

Understood. Just felt better about making sure. :)

4K IPS Gsync:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,229.03
(includes shipping: £15.30)

4K TN no Gsync with good reviews:

Total: £2,029.63
(includes shipping: £15.90)

That Raijintek cooler is a bit cheaper than the others, is enough for the 1600X and overclocking, nice black heatsink, and the blue led fan can be replaced with one of the Corsair Mag levs (the second could go on the rear I was thinking). If he likes the white/black theme, that is. I think that heatsink with the Corsair Mag lev would look ace, probably cool better too.

I chose an affordable case with good cooling for that 1080Ti, and liked the white model, then started hunting other white/black stuff (as long as it cost the same or not much more than other stuff).

Went with 1600X instead of 1600 as more chance of a little higher all core overclock, plus having an excuse to get an aftermarket cooler as it doesn't bring one.

Intel option:

Total: £2,042.67
(includes shipping: £15.90)

Faster RAM as Coffee Lake can handle it, and to squeeze the most out of the 8400 as no overclocking.

Coffee Lake prices should come down around 1st November hopefully when more supply arrives.

I don't think there'll be much between i5-8400 and 1600X at 4K gaming going by the benchmarks I've seen. If you know which games your friend is most looking forward to playing, maybe you could check out the benchmarks for those.

Last edited:
Soldato
Crucial MX300 is good but would have liked to spec a Samsung 850 EVO better, for a system like this. They are just too expensive from OcUK right now.

Associate
If 4k gaming @ 60hz nothing less than a 1080 ti.

I've owned a 4k 60hz sync monitor and although the graphics are eye candy , you need more gpu power for modern games.

8700k cpu

Fast ddr4 ~3000mhz 16gb

Soldato
Jesus! the gpu is worth more than my whole PC LOL!!

lol

He can always go 2560x1440 or 3440x1440 instead, and GTX 1070Ti when they come out. There's Vega too, but that's a mess right now, price-wise and availability. Although Freesync monitor would be cheaper.

Associate
Convince him to go 1440p 144hz+ no need for gsync at those refresh rates as tearing is minimal. I think when 240hz monitors are common place and we have gpu power to maintain high refresh rates gsync will be redundant.

I'm talking from experience. I notice zero difference on my 1440p in csgo if I disable gsync and run the game at fps_max 164. I'm super frame rate sensitive too.

Associate
I would go with the above build, your getting a good card with the gsync monitor to pair with that should last you. I know its not 4k but 1440p at them rates is a great experience especially playing fps games etc.

Soldato
@ExoMale im sure that case can take full blown GPU cards - reviews on the Ti mini is it performs slightly worse then FE cards , Palit, Zotac Amp, MSI and Gigabyte about £15 more but should fit and rock that ITX box :D

Soldato
@ExoMale im sure that case can take full blown GPU cards - reviews on the Ti mini is it performs slightly worse then FE cards , Palit, Zotac Amp, MSI and Gigabyte about £15 more but should fit and rock that ITX box :D

ha yes i realised that after i looked at the case to make sure certain things would fit, but i went with the cheaper option, plus while that case is nice and id quite like a build in it myself, with how big the 1080ti normally are id say the space to move around be restricted more?

that mini probably performs worse because it has a single fan and i guess been stripped down abit to conform to the itx format... still be better than a 1080 or least 1070.

Back
Top Bottom