Modern life

Before TV , etc , before electric

I would guess our leisure time is linked to our technology and amount of free time we have. Before electric you would have been busy trying to not die of plague or small pox or whatever illness . Maybe the act of being able to feed one's self was seen a leisure time.

Soldato
You spent more time arguing about stuff down the pub.

A simple debate about any "fact" could take all night before Google was in your pocket.

Soldato
OP
I would guess our leisure time is linked to our technology and amount of free time we have. Before electric you would have been busy trying to not die of plague or small pox or whatever illness . Maybe the act of being able to feed one's self was seen a leisure time.
1800's life wasn't all about avoiding the plague or pox though was it.

Associate
The big question is are we happier as a society today? Or are we more stressed, dysfunctional than ever before?

deffo not happier. Far more stressed than we used to be. Look at how kids behave these days? all about being connected and showing off whatever they can.

Associate
So given the choice would you give it up, going back to the old way of life?

I'd like my kids to have the same experience as me. I fear that once I have them and they grow they will have too much access to tech. An imagination is key to a good experience as a kid.

1800's life wasn't all about avoiding the plague or pox though was it.

No, there was cholera, typhus, yellow fever and a world wide flu pandemic. Again, people were poorer, things were harder for the average man on the street. Children would play with wooden toys and use their imaginations more. Men would busy working every hour to make 6d every four years, eat a lump of freezing cold poison, our mum would murder us each and every night and dance on a graves singing hallelujah.

Associate
No, there was cholera, typhus, yellow fever and a world wide flu pandemic. Again, people were poorer, things were harder for the average man on the street. Children would play with wooden toys and use their imaginations more. Men would busy working every hour to make 6d every four years, eat a lump of freezing cold poison, our mum would murder us each and every night and dance on a graves singing hallelujah.

Luxury!

Soldato
OP
Depends how far you go back but wasn't that long ago when all we had was candlelight / rubbish gas lanterns so dark nights meant early to bed (plus lots of children).

Although I remember the BBC had an article a while ago about how the whole 8 hours sleep thing came about and before it wasn't always 1 long sleep but split up, so people would do stuff in the early hours and then go back to bed. Will see if I can find it.

Edit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
Thanks for that, was an interesting article. My missus and I often wake mid sleep for sex :D

Soldato
Social media has a lot to answer for but I also think overpopulation is another. I was looking at some statistics this morning and when my parents were born (~1950) the world population was only 2.5 billion, and now it's tripled to 7.5 billion+. We live in a world where you walk along a street passing a stranger and neither person acknowledges each other. To me that is weird. The 'white noise' between each person on the planet has increased creating less meaningful connections and social media has exacerbated that. I think in future people will look back at the baby boomer generation and realise they had the best quality of life since the hunter gatherer days.

An imagination is key to a good experience as a kid.

Most definitely. My childhood was equal parts outside and inside but at least back then computer games were 8-bit/16-bit and left a lot to your imagination. Now so many games strive for realism. No idea how active kids are these days but I suspect the jumpers for goal posts concept is less common now.

Soldato
my childhood was first wave of skateboarding (gullwing trucks and kryptonics) messing about on wasteland or push bikes ,playing board games like escape from colditz ,messing about with chemistry sets. lots of reading

Back
Top Bottom