**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
As I said, right there in the quote you've used, I'm not talking literally a measurement against other phones. I'm talking is it slim/bezel-less, or does it have bezels.

Pixel 2 - 67.9%
Nexus 5 - 70.8%
Nexus 4 - 68.3%
Galaxy S6 - 70.7%

To me those are all pretty much the same or same design. Their bezels are 'alike'.

Galaxy S8 - 83.6%

There's a difference.

3-4 millimetres off the total height would have probably made all the difference to appearance. At the moment they're just on the wrong side of visually acceptable.

Soldato
Well my Pixel 2 honeymoon period is over after 24 hours.

Bluetooth audio fails when connected to my car. No audio whatsoever - looks like thye haven't fixed the Oreo bug :(
UPDATE:

So looks like it may not be a Bluetooth bug after all as I got it to work, rather it's the choice of default setting.

There's a setting within the bluetooth connection settings with a series of check boxes, one of which is called "HD Audio: AAC" which is enabled by default. I switched mine off and audio now works to my car! (2014 BMW Pro Nav)

:D

GeX

GeX

Soldato
As I said, right there in the quote you've used, I'm not talking literally a measurement against other phones. I'm talking is it slim/bezel-less, or does it have bezels.

Pixel 2 - 67.9%
Nexus 5 - 70.8%
Nexus 4 - 68.3%
Galaxy S6 - 70.7%

To me those are all pretty much the same or same design. Their bezels are 'alike'.

Galaxy S8 - 83.6%

There's a difference.

I wasn't measuring anything, I'm not talking about screen to body ratio. I'm talking about the top and bottom bezels. The Pixel 2 has thinner side bezels which will skew screen:body result.

I've just measured the 3 phones I have to hand;

Nexus 5: 11mm top, 14mm bottom
S6: 14mm, top, 14mm
Pixel 2: 17mm top, 17mm bottom

The top and bottom bezels are bigger than my previous phones. Given the trend to reduce the size of bezels, by increasing them it is making it looked dated.

3-4 millimetres off the total height would have probably made all the difference to appearance. At the moment they're just on the wrong side of visually acceptable.

Yep, that would've done it.

Caporegime
HDR+ is what makes the google phones so damn good for photos, especially low light, not my photo but taken on a 5x with HDR+:

uuDCMKZ.jpg

If HDR+ wasn't enabled, that photo would have been a complete disaster.

The thing I like about the google phone cameras/HDR+ is that it has a very natural unprocessed look and is pretty much a take and forget phone for photos where as amsung phones tend to over sharpen and saturate the colours with auto settings.

And regarding the bezels again.... I just don't get why google didn't make it a 5.2" screen like the 5x or possibly even a bit more than that and the bezels would have then been acceptable in my books.

You just can't deny that the gs 8 looks a million times better here:

gUz4FU8.png

And here is a quick photo edit with the screen just being slightly taller:

JkLT30k.png

See just how much better that looks already, at least to me anyway!

I don't like the corners of the gs 8 screen being rounded though, much rather have sharp perfect 90 degree corners

And that 0.8" extra on the screen will be of far more benefit than front facing stereo speakers imo.

Urgh.... I just don't know what to do now...... If only this 5x didn't have the inevitable bootloop issue, I would have held on to it until the next lot of phones as right now, there is nothing that I am 100% happy with and certainly not for £500/600+......

GeX

GeX

Soldato
2p3w7.jpg

Nexus 5: 137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm, screen 4.95 inches, 67.5 cm2 (~70.8% screen-to-body ratio)
S6: 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm, screen 5.1 inches, 71.5 cm2 (~70.7% screen-to-body ratio)
Pixel 2: 145.7 x 69.7 x 7.8 mm, screen 5.0 inches, 68.9 cm2 (~67.9% screen-to-body ratio)

The S6 is 2mm shorter and has a bigger screen, though I guess that photo I've taken isn't far as the Pixel 2 isn't on the home screen so has the top bar black and back bar for the soft buttons.

It doesn't change the fact the top and bottom bezels are bigger than what I'm used to, and what I'd expect. It hasn't stopped me buying the phone, and I've no intention to get rid of it!

Associate
A lot of salt in this thread about this phone, good job we don't all have to buy it at gunpoint. It's clearly not the finished article yet as google had yet to launch its OS the phone was designed for and as we have seen google do some very clever things with software it's probably best to reserve judgement until then. I find it interesting nobody seems to be complaining about the screen of the non xl, just the bezels. I'm not sure how much of an issue this is for most as its a functional device not a fashion statement, apple has sold iphone on the same premise for several years now. Lots of talk about XL screen issues, lets see what its like in the real world before we all decide its rubbish.

I don't even know if comparing it to S8 or V30 is understanding the point of what it is. Those are both mainstream fashion phones. This is the lead platform for google services with a whole bunch of them given away for free when you buy it - perhaps you could view it that you are paying 50% of the cost for the hardware and the other 50% is going towards having the best software experience you will have on an android phone with a bunch of cloud storage thrown in. If there was to be an S8 play edition how much more would you have to pay for it?

I have to say S8 wasn't good enough to make me leave my S7 Edge, it seems like a minor upgrade especially as it has the same camera. I've pre-ordered the XL because I feel that is a decent leap both in terms of software and the hardware as I actually slightly miss having the side bezels.

Like many things these days though I'm not expecting it to be revolution over my existing phone, those days have long passed but at least I can be up to date with a pixel.

Soldato
UPDATE:

So looks like it may not be a Bluetooth bug after all as I got it to work, rather it's the choice of default setting.

There's a setting within the bluetooth connection settings with a series of check boxes, one of which is called "HD Audio: AAC" which is enabled by default. I switched mine off and audio now works to my car! (2014 BMW Pro Nav)

:D

Been there tried that, still no luck on my 15 beemer :(

Mine isn't nav pro version mind you.

Soldato
MrMobile’s V30 review praised the screen. He said while not as good as the S8, he was never left wanting a better screen. Throughout the whole video it never looked like it had an off axis blue tint, so it may be limited to select devices?

Soldato
Has anyone looked at the Top Cashback deals for cpw? I'm not on tcb myself (yet) but they seem to have a £105 for Pixel 2 contracts and £21 for SIM free. I wonder does that include the 2 XL?
They have £52.50 for all other contract deals.

Associate
That's it. Any ideas of buying it are buried for me. If they'd released the 2XL at 549 maybe they'd get a pass, but at that price might it's just unacceptable.

Same here. Sure am glad I got the Note 8 & didn't hold out for the Pixels.

Technobuffalo also says give this Pixel a miss & wait till next model comes out next year.

Associate
Why on earth would you ever hold the phone up to your ear when not on a call?

Madness. People are actively going looking for the tiniest problems now

The problem is these sounds are there whilst on a call too.

Disabling NFC stops the click and turning on the flashlight stops the weird high pitch noise.

Back
Top Bottom