Advice on a SFF rig

Associate
Hi,
Its been a while since I put a pc together but I have decided to get myself a small form factor rig to use on my living room tv. I basically want it to run some games (medium settings) via an xbox wireless controller. I would like it to run Destiny 2. TV is a 50" 4K.
I quickly put the following together but would ideally have liked it to have been a bit cheaper. Preferably around the £500 mark. Is it doable?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £696.94
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
You could consider a cheaper case (Silverstone SG13, etc.) and a H270 chipset motherboard for that CPU

You also have enough posts to check the member's market for some good second hand component deals. Believe EVGA warranty is transferable so that could help with the GPU.

Soldato
Do you want to run Destiny 2 at 4K? If so ask OCUK if they can supply Gigabyte's GTX 1080 Mini ITX. Of course, this blows your budget right away.

Associate
OP
You could consider a cheaper case (Silverstone SG13, etc.) and a H270 chipset motherboard for that CPU

You also have enough posts to check the member's market for some good second hand component deals. Believe EVGA warranty is transferable so that could help with the GPU.

Cheers, I'll take a look in the MM. Not so sure about the SG13 case as I am looking for something quite slim which sort of resembles the size of an xbox. Will defo look at other motherboards.

Do you want to run Destiny 2 at 4K? If so ask OCUK if they can supply Gigabyte's GTX 1080 Mini ITX. Of course, this blows your budget right away.

Not bothered about running at 4K. :)

Associate
Might be worth going for a cheaper motherboard, you're not really going to get the most out of a Z series board with a locked CPU. Or maybe wait for cheaper Coffee Lake boards to drop, the increased performance should be worth the relative outlay for them.

Soldato
Someone told me an rx 580 8gb won't run a 27" 4K gaming monitor well, so I'd say that 1050ti will struggle for sure if you want good quality 4K, but then the Xbox one S runs 4K very well even on an upscale so you might get away with it?

Soldato
Just a thought but have you checked if the stock Intel cooler will fit in the case?
I'm not sure how tall the cooler is but the case only has 58mm clearance (from memory, I have this case) which can be less than you think.

Back
Top Bottom