WHICH Z370 MOTHERBOARD ARE YOU CHOOSING AND WHY?

Associate
Yeah not a fan of that fan either! It apparently doesn't come on but at that size would sound quite annoying if it did. You can unhook it though

Associate
I haven't read too much into the motherboards as yet. Will need to ponder whether a i7-5820k > i5-8400 move is worth it to go back to SFF and air cooling

Associate
I'm waiting on the Maximus X Formula to go with my 8700k. That board looks mighty fine with it's OLED display and great overall features. The wait is real though :/

Associate
I went with the Asus Strix itx board. I love both Asus and Gigabyte and have used them extensively over the years. But I fancied something different as I never built an itx setup before.

Associate
thought the Strix was buggy according to TTL? Something with the LLC being off.

Apparently the LLC setting has no effect and has to be on 7 to prevent vdroop. Meant to be a Bios fix but not read anything to say that the issue had been resolved. the OC3D review on YouTube was quite scathing of ASUS for not fixing the issue before release even though they had been told about it by non-ASUS sponsored testers.

Soldato
For my friend who asked me to build a small factor, got the Asus Z370I Strix. Very beautiful board, has everything there, wifi, 2 M2s, reinforced PCI-E slot. One of the M2s comes with heatsink.

To put in perspective the Crosshair VI Hero, is very spartan board, and is considered the X370 flagship board by Asus.

Associate
I had to ghetto my z370 build as I was so eager to try it out. I have had it since early last week but only built it last night. Other bits are on the way but I just wanted to tinker about with it.

So I have stuck a Noctua DH15 and a 1080 ti on it neither of which fits inside a shift x. So I had to improvise a bit. I am too embarassed to post a pic of it. But put it this way imagine a DH-15 on an itx board and you get the idea ;)

Soldato
Do you have any control over it?
Yeah, you have full control of it and can turn it off entirely if you wish. It also just uses a standard fan header, so you can disconnect it and use the header for something else if you like. By default it apparently cranks straight up to 6000RPM, which would be quite a sound I imagine. TTL said in his review that it never once turned on during his testing though, even with an 8700K overclocked to 5GHz, so it seems like a non-issue really. Maybe with LN2 or something it'd be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom