EE 4G WiFi - Router Issues / Port Forwarding

Soldato
Hi folks,

So asking for my brother in law as I don't think it's possible after my own research. So he got an EE 4G Wifi tiny router thing with a 30GB data SIM. Mainly because he works away often with work and ends up sat in hotels often etc bored. So he got a laptop and this EE 4G router/sim.

The issue is he doesn't seem to be able to connect to EVE Online. Now I instantly presumed port forwarding issues. But it seems the issue may stem to the fact EE like most carriers use CGNAT and due to limited IPv4 addresses, they are shared, therefore making port fowarding not possible.

I read another gent's forum thread somewhere and he mentioned a little trick to use 2 4G connections to then dupe it into thinking it was on a single IPv4 address so would either work or allow port forwarding somehow... But didn't quite follow how this happens or if there is an easier way?

Am I missing something obvious or is it not possible to get this working? All he wants to do is to be able to play games (well, EVE) whilst away with work...

TL;DR can you get EVE working on EE 4G or port forward so it works?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
@blueacid how would that work then? As the EE mifi box has minimal options, you can't setup port forwarding from there at least.

Not aware of being able to setup port forwarding at the client/VPNs end?

But will admit I don't have much experience of VPNs, other than using them in a basic principle for browsing in the past.

Soldato
EE will be using CGNAT so his 4G router will have an RFC1918 (private) IP address, not a public IP address. So even if port forwarding is setup nothing can reach the private WAN address he's got. It won't work.

I don't remember the name (I read it on here a while ago) but there is a company that'll give you a public IP address on a 4G connection. I expect they'll charge a premium though.

Back
Top Bottom