PC game Loot crates for real money, good or bad?

Soldato
They're not similar though, one is a physical product that you can trade, give away or cover your siblings property with, the other isn't.

Associate
Not a big fan of these crates most of which are cosmetic additions for the same weapons with change to game mechanics. I can understand for free games, like planetside 2, that this being the only revenue generation but not for paid titles. It makes it even worse when these crates can be earned and traded but that is a separate topic of discussion.

Associate
They've become too pervasive. They have no place in racing games at all but now they appear in Forza 7. Single player games don't really have any need for them but they are in Shadow of War.

They're fine for cosmetics in multiplayer games. It's nice to be able to distinguish your character from everyone else but, with what we have seen in Battlefront 2, when they start giving players an advantage then it crosses a line.

Unfortunately loot boxes are here to stay. Blizzard made $3.6 billion from micro-transactions of Overwatch. Everyone is going to want a piece of that pie

Soldato

Many video game companies in recent years have introduced mechanics which are essentially gambling of which are targeted at children and vulnerable adults. While not currently considers gambling by law they do copy many traits to make them as addictive and can lead to real money being lost/earned.

This I did consider. It's making very easy for people who are vulnerable to this sort of thing find new avenues to lose lots of money.

children it's a bit harder. As how is a child going to know how to pay using credit cards and even get access to one?

I hate it. But as long as the game I pay for is not limited by the need to pay for extra loot boxes then I don't care too much.

I still hope it goes away tho as it's not a good thing.

Associate
Spotted this on reddit, sad but true.

05qzojl15etz.jpg

Associate
They're not similar though, one is a physical product that you can trade, give away or cover your siblings property with, the other isn't.

I guess our definition of similar is different. Although one is physical and one digital. They both have a psychological value. A pack with Barnes, Rush, Stracham and a Norwich city shiny was worthless to me. I already had 10 of each, and so did everyone else.

I see that both systems result in lot's of junk paid for. Granted, the stickers could be swapped with other collectors. But given the "odds" of getting many stickers, it would be impossible for everyone to make the book complete and not have to spend money chasing the missing one. Kind of like a pyramid. There is always a surplus of duplicates. If you were lucky to get a few rares, then your chances of making a complete book through trading significantly rise. You unlucky? No rares to trade? You're gonna have to play the game of chance and buy a few more packs if you want to fill more spaces. In the social circle, the kid with the most complete book during the season was "winning".

I will add that i am not against the packs etc. For us older guys, i think we should be able to make our own choice. For the kids, it's up to the parents. I never finished a book. But do have great memories standing in the yard, got, got, got, NEEEEEED! Random Gordon Strachams stuck everywhere. Tennis courts, park benches etc.

Associate
Are you surprised? Its a site where people PAY to watch other people play games.

Theyd already lucked out before loot crates

Not too surprised, nah.
But considering the mess around the internots about the whole loot crates thing, you'd think they'd try to think of something different or hold off for a while.
Then again, we all know folks still bought games with added crates rubbish, so no doubt all firms will be jumping onto it too :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not too surprised, nah.
But considering the mess around the internots about the whole loot crates thing, you'd think they'd try to think of something different or hold off for a while.
Then again, we all know folks still bought games with added crates rubbish, so no doubt all firms will be jumping onto it too :rolleyes:

To be fair looking at those twitch bonuses theyre clearly designed to appeal to kids, and its clearly taking the advantage of the 'you're getting something anyway' get out from gambling

Back
Top Bottom