Windows Phone/Mobile is dead

Man of Honour
For users who only use the main core apps that you can get for every O/S it was an awesome system

After using my mum's Lumia I kind of got the vision they had with Windows 10 - IMO it doesn't translate well over to the desktop at all.

Still the were betting against the market.

Soldato
Microsoft's history in mobile is a story of internal politics. They were in the smartphone market from the beginning but mobile was often seen internally as a dumping ground for Microsoft's worst engineers. The release of the iPhone changed that slightly but it was too little, too late by then. Playing catch-up with Apple and Google was always going to be an impossible task.

Don't forget that Nokia wasn't even Microsoft's first disastrous mobile acquisition.

Soldato
So... when I do inevitably make the switch to Android, is there any way of getting my Microsoft Maps favourites copied across to Google Maps ?

Soldato
Some of the intelligent techies I know use Windows mobile, even calling it simply better than Android and Apple IOS. It's a shame people behave like sheep and haven't helped make Windows phone a good success by really trying it, rather being quick to write it off. I personally think it could have been a great success. MS still haven't quite shaken off the "hate MS" image and people not really up for trying a change, it seems to be all about the number of apps available too. I know some Andriod users who just install and uninstall stuff daily.

I'm hoping a new MS device will just carry a desktop OS :). THat's all it needs to be really, and of course will phone calling ability.

I still use a 950 and personally feel it's evolved into a great product. It's also been great being part of it's development, and not realiant on carriers releasing updates to the phone when they feel like it (updates come direct).

i wonder if one day we will see a third mobile OS become popular. Mobile OS has completely stagnated that there's just nothing new coming out now. i remember when i used to swap gallery apps so frequently as every 2 months the latest and greatest gallery app had come out. launchers, keyboards, mail, texts, social media apps etc were all going places at such a crazy speed it was hard to keep up. but now it's just so dull. and for a good reason. apps and the OS now are so flipping fantastic, but it's dull. i got my new pixel xl a couple weeks ago. same apps, same everything other than the wallpaper as i want it to feel new and not the exact same phone i just had, but because the apps have become so great now there's just no options in the sense that they all are pretty decent so you just pick the one that most appeals and stick with it. there's no real downsides like there used to be that caused a choice.

and because things like instagram rule the image sharing scene, whatsapp rule the instant message devs are left to develop nothing new.

a new OS would definitely spice things up and be a place for the devs to create and race for the market share. of course as soon as a mobile OS gets a good share of the market, facebook insta and whatsapp will jump in, create an app and kill any innovation, but still will be a place for more innovation that IOS and android just doesn't have any more.

Soldato
But why need constant new apps? if something is good why change? THis is a reason I liked the MS Phones - just allows me to get on with life :) (not wasting time looking at the many apps that essentially do the same thing).
I do really hope MS release a surface phone that's essentially a small Windows 10 PC (same OS) with phone capability built in.

I do feel a bit let down by MS despite my positive tone :). I thought Windows desktop apps and apps from Andriod were supposed to be able to be built easily for Windows 10 phone but despite MS buying Linked In, they stopped dev on the Linked In Win10 phone app and instead advised to use a browser or try their new Desktop app....so much for the idea of just building a desktop app for phone :) - if it was little effort I really don't see why they've had to pull it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes many people feel let down by Microsoft, myself included. They pay a stupid amount of money for LinkedIn, and promptly discontinue the Windows phone app. That tells you everything you need to know - Microsoft have abandoned the platform bar security updates for a couple of years. So they have treated their customers very badly. I think Windows phone is fantastic, much better than Android and iOS, and in that respect I really want to keep using it, but on the other hand I want to tell them to f&*^ off and move to Android immediately.

Having abandoned it bar security updates for the next couple of years, I hope they have the decency to work with Google to find a way of having MS Maps favourites transferred in to Google maps.

Soldato
Very few people want a phone with a desktop experience, thats what Windows Mobile/Pocket PC 2000 was and that didn't work either.

"Intelligent techies" using Windows Phone isn't an indication of how good it was as a mobile platform, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Some technological minded desktop users will try and argue the merits of Linux as a better desktop operating system and I'm sure they have valid points, yet put a Linux system in front of your typical mass desktop user and they'll not get on with it.

I don't think Window Phone's demise has anything to do with hating Microsoft either, your typical consumer doesn't really have an opinion on Microsoft vs OSX vs any open source distro. RIM/Blackberry was adored by millions of people 5 to 10 years ago and look where they are now.

Soldato
Very few people want a phone with a desktop experience, thats what Windows Mobile/Pocket PC 2000 was and that didn't work either.

"Intelligent techies" using Windows Phone isn't an indication of how good it was as a mobile platform, in fact, it's quite the opposite. Some technological minded desktop users will try and argue the merits of Linux as a better desktop operating system and I'm sure they have valid points, yet put a Linux system in front of your typical mass desktop user and they'll not get on with it.

I don't think Window Phone's demise has anything to do with hating Microsoft either, your typical consumer doesn't really have an opinion on Microsoft vs OSX vs any open source distro. RIM/Blackberry was adored by millions of people 5 to 10 years ago and look where they are now.

Exactly, you can't just create mobile OS and expect to be market leader. You have to do something different, unique. Windows Phone did nothing that iOS or Android already did and in most cases they did it better!

Soldato
Microsoft had their chance to be the global leader. Windows Mobile was on version 6 by the time that the iPhone was released. Microsoft knew where the market was going but were unwilling to put the proper resources behind their mobile OS until it was too late.

Soldato
They never finished the OS. It did somethings much better than Android and IOS.
But they never advertised those features. It also had a lot of things that weren't finished. It was pretty much the whole time.

What kept them in the game was their low and mid range phones out performed anything else at that price point.
Not long after they bought Nokia they quit the low and mid range. Removed about 70% of their user base in an instant.
At the same time you could buy phones like the MotoG which ran Android decently at a low price point.
There just wasn't the user base to make it worthwhile for developers after that

Ironically we are now back to a situation where there are no decent low end android phones.
All the OS'es including Windows Mobile now need much better hardware to have a good experience.

Kinda makes it much harder to commit to any new MS tech though.

Soldato
The biggest issue was how long it takes to

1: Boot up
2: Download, AND apply system updates

Good riddance.

Thats solved with Android because about 90% of phones will never get updates :)

Never understood the obsession with boot up times with phones and things like SSDs drivers.
I must reboot my phone about twice a month. My work PC about the same.

It not like the old days when I would start up my PC, launch Windows 3.x then go off and make tea and it would only be just in Windows when I got back to my desk.

Man of Honour
The problem for Microsoft in the mobile market was always one of marketing. People in general, especially women, would only consider an iphone or possibly a Samsung Android based phone. They just couldn't break into market share, which started a vicious circle with developers often skipping the platform when making apps. It really is such as shame as MS squandered an early lead with devices on Windows Mobile (Compaq IPAQ, etc).

I disliked MS and Windows for years. But lately I've started to really like them again. I think Windows 10 is a great OS and they are going in a good direction with their Surface Pro and Surface Book products. They also make some really great hardware such as their higher end keyboards. I doubt I'd switch to a Windows phone even if they were still producing them as I am too entrenched in the Android world. I have a number of paid apps which I would lose and work across all my old devices (external screen tools, satnav, games, etc). But MS make some great products.

Back
Top Bottom