**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
I've been offshore and just landed in Aberdeen and was able to view the Pixel 2 in CPW. What a bizarre design choice, those spaces top and bottom are a total waste of real estate. It's not for me.

The issues with the Pixel 2 XL mean I don't even need to view it. Hopefully, Google can learn from this as they have the software absolutely nailed.

Associate
I was testing out the video in CPW and the screen was flickering in 1080P mode. It flickers heavily nearly the Pixel branding light board advertising and also when panning around the store. OIS worked a treat but the flickering was heavily evident in the footage. Is this because of 60p mode? I am used to shooting 25p on my DSLR and have no lighting issues. I tried the settings and it only allowed three settings. 720/1080/4k. I know this isn't specific to the Pixel but thought I'd see if can resolve it as plan to shoot plenty of indoor footage.

I gave the regular sized Pixel another going over and the colour reproduction seemed better. The colours were more natural and the whites a lot white and when tilting and shifting the screen it stayed white.

I think the phone size is spot on having thought about the ip8 regular size and me actually liking my previous Nexus 5 over my recently boot loop ridden G4.

It seems you can't have everything at this price point but the cameras and stock android will tip it in it's favour. If still undecided then will just look at last year's pixel.

Were last years Pixel's cameras both the same? They still seem to hold up fine in 2017.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm frustrated that Google seems to have messed up this launch once more. I could have been ready to go on this year's pixel because of the good reviews, but the high price, screen issues (XL) and poor availability of anything other than the black models is very disappointing.

If Google wants to compete with Apple properly, they need to step up and start doing this properly. I'm tired of seeing them falter when Samsung and Apple manage to get it right time and time again.

Permabanned
OP
.......Hopefully, Google can learn from this as they have the software absolutely nailed.

Spoke with Google customer service today regarding my Live Case order and its shipment date this week. It is expected to arrive tomorrow.

While on I also spoke with the Pixel team rep who said that Google was aware of a few reports of the burn-in issue and would do what is necessary to address the issue, if indeed it is other than potentially a small, bad batch. It seemed to me that software resolution of any issue is possible through advanced display options for vivid colours.

I am sure those sceptical of this being resolved or those who might believe they have a problem, will have plenty of options available including returning their phones within 15 days of delivery.

They also confirmed that estimated shipments in the UK from their warehouse will begin on 13 November for first orders from the Google Store, EE and Carphone.

I am confident that the phone I tested on Tottenham Court Road and which AndyCR15 also reviewed extensively will be the same as the Panda 2 XL I receive next month.

Soldato
sesevans is confident that issues are sorted.

That's it then lads, no worries.

Yep, it's all good.

Seriously though when have live chat reps ever been a reliable source of information? Until we get a proper statement from Google about what happened and what they'll do to fix it I'm a bit sceptical that they're dealing with it properly.

Soldato
I was testing out the video in CPW and the screen was flickering in 1080P mode. It flickers heavily nearly the Pixel branding light board advertising and also when panning around the store. OIS worked a treat but the flickering was heavily evident in the footage. Is this because of 60p mode? I am used to shooting 25p on my DSLR and have no lighting issues. I tried the settings and it only allowed three settings. 720/1080/4k. I know this isn't specific to the Pixel but thought I'd see if can resolve it as plan to shoot plenty of indoor footage.

I believe the flickering you’re encountering is a sync issue with the LEDs and the rate of capture of the camera (60fps) paired with the rolling shutter as well as the display refreshing. Not sure if it would show on playback however.

I definitely encounter it on every phone I use.

GeX

GeX

Soldato

This will be related the lighting, not something to blame the phone for.

The resolution is set in the settings menu, but if you're in 1080p or 720p you can than select 30 or 60 fps on the screen that is showing the viewfinder image.

Soldato
Yep, it's all good.

Seriously though when have live chat reps ever been a reliable source of information? Until we get a proper statement from Google about what happened and what they'll do to fix it I'm a bit sceptical that they're dealing with it properly.

I don't even know what they can do to fix it? Burn in won't be fixed with any software updates.

Maybe make it so the screen doesn't turn on at all will help.

Soldato
I don't even know what they can do to fix it? Burn in won't be fixed with any software updates.

Maybe make it so the screen doesn't turn on at all will help.

I am not so sure how wide spread this issue is yet. At the end of the day a lot of the noise is just regurgitated reahared and rehashed.

Just need more reviews in from trusted sources

Soldato
I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:
Google phone hit by 'burn in' problems - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41730636

I think it's time to cut through the fanboy defence and acknowledge that this is a serious reputational blow for Pixel, and could very well escalate to be a total disaster if production has to be stopped.

It's really disappointing as I see me being loyal to the brand as it's totally won me over with my first Pixel, so much so that I'm happy to wait another year for Pixel 3.

Associate
I think it's time to cut through the fanboy defence and acknowledge that this is a serious reputational blow for Pixel, and could very well escalate to be a total disaster if production has to be stopped.

It's really disappointing as I see me being loyal to the brand as it's totally won me over with my first Pixel, so much so that I'm happy to wait another year for Pixel 3.
A bit like iPhones that bend, don't receive service when held wrong, brick with the latest software. Once the hype has died down everyone will forget about it.

Back
Top Bottom