Anyone use 'Settled' as online estate agent?

Soldato
I haven't but we are using house network currently and they have been excellent. I think the quoted price was £799 but we got it for £660 as we said we would use their conveyancer (you don't even have to use them) and we got £100 of Amazon vouchers.

I've got nothing to compare to but their online site is really good and lets you amend photos, description s and price easily and is generally a good system to manage viewings.

Soldato
I plan to if they're still around early next year. Got a client who is buying one that was advertised through them so will ask her opinion

They've got 1,051 properties currently listed on Rightmove... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?includeSSTC=true&locationIdentifier=BRANCH^152222

They look interesting and might use them myself next year. I'm very capable of taking my own photos and drawing up a simple floor plan. Also I've already got an in date EPC.

Associate
That's how I heard about it. Not entirely sure how he can pay people to take photos and write descriptions and still earn enough to be a millionaire at £199 a pop though...

Seems to good to be true, we are currently listed with a local agent, but poor communication time and time again makes us lose faith.

May look at this in the new year

Soldato
Think my dad's going to use doorsteps so I'll report back if I hear anything. Will be doing his conveyancing too can so give an opinion from that side of the fence as well!

Associate
Was just looking at settled as considering using an online agent. What is anyone’s experience of number of viewings vs. traditional EA as may need a quick sale? Based in East London.

Soldato
OP
When I used PurpleBricks it was an awesome process. Viewings and communications were well organised. Instant data available etc. Pity they are now nearly £900.

Settled have same reviews and are exactly the same when it comes to the process and the tools available on your account but £400 cheaper.

Soldato
Some of the news articles about Doorsteps say that he started it while at school with no money, then he borrowed some money off his uncle to grow the business. Apparently his uncle still works for Royal Mail to make ends meet yet he is also a director of 3 other companies according to Companies House.

Also the domain name was registered in 2010 while the estate agency has only been going 18 months or so.

Obviously the family have money and invested heavily to get it off the ground, not just some fairytale story of selling his first property from the school playground with only his lunch money to his name.

Soldato
Looks too good to be true really. How can he make money on £99 per customer? If you think of what needs to go into setting up a sale with pictures etc.
Well I imagine 99% of people will pay £199 to get pictures and a description. Plus things like a for sale board are extra. And I imagine they get a decent referral fee if you use their recommended solicitors (probably Premier Property Lawyers or similar). Plus the £99 one, how much work is really involved? An "online valuation" which basically means looking at Rightmove and "sales progession" is all BS so it could be well under an hours work for some office junior really.

Point still stands though!

Soldato
Why would you even pay £199 for them to take the pictures and write a description, do it yourself and save £100. It's not like they will send a pro photographer, according to the news articles they are just random "mums" on commission.

Even all the local high street agents in my area take crappy photos with 10 year old budget digital cameras, and the descriptions look like they couldn't be bothered to write anything or were in too much of a rush to clock off for the day.

Back
Top Bottom