A7rIII key specs (via ThePhoBlographer):

• BSI 42.2 MP full frame sensor same sensor
  • 4K HDR video
  • ISO 100 to 32000
  • 10fps
  • 14 bit raw for everything including continuous shooting
  • 5 axis stabilization to 5.5 stops
  • Physical dimensions are identical to the Sony a7r II
  • All the new stuff is inside with the exception of the Joystick from the Sony a9
  • 15 stops of dynamic range due to the processor of the camera. This is only at low resolution but they’re not sure how high of an ISO that will extend to
  • Autofocus from a9
  • Eye AF operates at double the speed
  • No optical low pass filter
  • Highest picture quality of any camera they’ve made
  • Low vibration shutter, completely new shutter
  • Bionz X processor
  • Raw compressed buffer at 87 photos and uncompressed is 28
  • Pixel shift multi shooting to capture more color.
  • 399 phase detection AF points
  • Contrast AF points: 425
  • 68% of the sensor area covered with AF points
  • 2x faster autofocus than the previous camera
  • Subject tracking performance has doubled in effectiveness
  • Touch functions on the screen: AF-on, multi selector and anti-flicker
  • Fast AF and exposure tracking at 10fps
  • 8fps shooting continuous Live View
  • Full HD video at 120p
  • 4K video at 24p and 30p
  • USB 3.1
  • Dust and moisture resistant
  • Two card slots
  • 3.69 million dot OLED tru-finder
  • The A9 battery
  • PC sync port
  • You can externally power the camera via USB
  • No mirror shock no shutter shock and silent shooting
  • 10fps no black out. At 8fps there is momentary blackout
  • No time lapse mode
  • $3,199.99 in market at end of November
source: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Man of Honour
It does tick a few boxes of things that have bothered me about the A7rii, mainly battery, focus point joystick and dual slots, for most of what I shoot even manual focus is ideal so the upgraded AF doesn't bother me too much.
A lot of Yanks moaning about it not being 80MP over on other forums, seems like that would be overkill to me personally.

Be interested to see if the new EVF is much better, find the current one a little lacking in low light, especially when using the Loxia glass to manual focus!

Caporegime
It does tick a few boxes of things that have bothered me about the A7rii, mainly battery, focus point joystick and dual slots, for most of what I shoot even manual focus is ideal so the upgraded AF doesn't bother me too much.
A lot of Yanks moaning about it not being 80MP over on other forums, seems like that would be overkill to me personally.

Be interested to see if the new EVF is much better, find the current one a little lacking in low light, especially when using the Loxia glass to manual focus!

Those are some crazy people……80mp ?!

Can you imagine the CPU power it needs to do that at 10fps? and can you imagine it NOT overheat?

Not a chance lol

Caporegime
Wow. This is by ANY standards a dream specification for a full-frame mirrorless camera, and in many ways it's a better camra than the A9 and a very tempting proposition. Sure the lenses are bigger and more expensive than my Fuji, but no-one can doubt FE lens quality, 3rd party options from Sigma etc are continually improving and the flash system is very mature. As someone who has lost a bit of faith in Fuji (lens selection is still weak in some areas, flash choices are still limited, and I felt the X-T2 was not as good as it could have been and the X-T2S was announced too soon) over the last year and misses the results I got from his full-frame D750 and Sigma combo I think that this may be something to finally make me switch back over to the dark side to a FF system.

Still, that price... gulp.

That's good to know. Thank you.
I can now put meat in my sandwiches, instead of dust :D
I lol'd. :D

Soldato
I actually just got a Sony A7 as a wedding gift (chosen by ourselves) as a first foray into Full Frame Mirrorless... Loving it so far but something like this will definitely be on the horizon

Caporegime
Ok, more thoughts on the A7R3, the dual card slots.

Great, its finally here, but why is it one USH-1 and the other USH-2?

I gave Canon a lot of flak for this when the 5D4 came out and Sony is not immune to the same criticism. The tech is there, why bottleneck yourself with a slower card slot? The entire reason for most professional having 2 card slots of redundancy meaning writing both cards at the same time and having putting 2 card slots in, having 1 slower, 1 faster would means the fastest you can write to is the slowest one so WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's already £3200, charge me another £50 and put in 2 USH-2 slots.

Soldato
Ok, more thoughts on the A7R3, the dual card slots.

Great, its finally here, but why is it one USH-1 and the other USH-2?

I gave Canon a lot of flak for this when the 5D4 came out and Sony is not immune to the same criticism. The tech is there, why bottleneck yourself with a slower card slot? The entire reason for most professional having 2 card slots of redundancy meaning writing both cards at the same time and having putting 2 card slots in, having 1 slower, 1 faster would means the fastest you can write to is the slowest one so WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's already £3200, charge me another £50 and put in 2 USH-2 slots.
Well I heard the reason is due to size of the body. They would need to build a bigger heat sink to cater for both the uhs 2 slots.

Just shoot jpg on the uhs1 slot

Caporegime
Well I heard the reason is due to size of the body. They would need to build a bigger heat sink to cater for both the uhs 2 slots.

Just shoot jpg on the uhs1 slot
A bigger heatsink is needed for dual UHS-II slots in vs what is already in there dealing with 4k video etc etc? Sounds like rubbish, where did you hear that?

Caporegime
From Sony themselves. It's all due to size of the body. People thought u could just add a second card slot without a size penalty. Look now. The size has increased slightly
I am not saying it doesn't need more room, that seems logical, but a significantly upgraded heatsink? I doubt it pumps out that much heat over UHS-I, and it seems like a very small technical limitation to overcome in a £3000 camera that brings significant benefits.

Associate
I suspect the engineering/design/electronics team at Sony have some sound reasoning as to their expert decision.

Accept it for what it is - a brilliant bit of kit.

Back
Top Bottom