Which laptop would you suggest?

Associate
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new laptop in the next few days. Usage will be for University so taking notes, programming, video editing, general browsing and some gaming. Gaming wont be the main focus but I would like it to run the likes of Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and PUBG on high detail.

Budget wise I am OK up to £1800.

Kinda overwhelmed at the number of choices. To give you an idea this is what I had been looking at:
Alienware 13/15,
ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550VD or Asus ROG Strix,
Dell Inspiron 15 or Dell XPS 15
Gigabyte Aero 14/15
Razer Blade

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have :)

Thanks

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new laptop in the next few days. Usage will be for University so taking notes, programming, video editing, general browsing and some gaming. Gaming wont be the main focus but I would like it to run the likes of Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and PUBG on high detail.

Budget wise I am OK up to £1800.

Kinda overwhelmed at the number of choices. To give you an idea this is what I had been looking at:
Alienware 13/15,
ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550VD or Asus ROG Strix,
Dell Inspiron 15 or Dell XPS 15
Gigabyte Aero 14/15
Razer Blade

Thanks

Hi Gast - we are seeing a lot of customers coming to Gigabyte for the AERO15 with similar user profile that you describe. Pantone calibrated screen with thin bezel would suit your video editing tasks (along with the GPU and CPU obviously :) ) and for the long (?) days in lectures the "all day computing" feature of the 8-10 hour battery life is also a strong appeal.

Nifty USB charging port on the AC Adaptor is a feature that is also being widely appreciated :)

There are plenty of media and end user reviews out there in the market as we don't expect you take our word for it as such :)

Happy decision making and shopping - let us know if there is anything specific you would like to know about our products.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Permabanned
I've had:
Alienware 15
XPS15

Now on Razer Blade 14

Used to use a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 for work for a few years.

Reason for the Blade... it's the closest thing to a MacBook in build quality... in fact, the keyboard exceeds that of the MBP, especially the latest model.

When spending this much on a laptop, build quality is very important... it's horrible to use something that feels flimsy... like the XPS15.

The Alienwares are built robust - but at the sacrifice of heavy weight - if you're carting around a laptop all day every day - that extra weight gets tiring.

The solid metal frame of the blade makes it feel really solid but the weight isn't there. General office tasks, I get 6-7 hours battery life out of it. The 1060 is good enough for anything I want to throw at a laptop.

The Gigabyte above is getting a lot of interest - but I haven't tried one yet. I'm sure Atom80 can answer this for me - is the outside of the frame metal construction like the Blade or are the bits your touch plastic?

Associate
I have the MSI GT62VR 7RE and that comes in under your budget.

People **** MSI off, but for me, this laptop runs nice, is fairly quiet when pushed and hasnt really over heated or anything when maxing out games.

Probably too heavy if you are lugging it around a lot, idk if thats a focus for you.

Associate
OP
Hi Gast - we are seeing a lot of customers coming to Gigabyte for the AERO15 with similar user profile that you describe. Pantone calibrated screen with thin bezel would suit your video editing tasks (along with the GPU and CPU obviously :) ) and for the long (?) days in lectures the "all day computing" feature of the 8-10 hour battery life is also a strong appeal.

Nifty USB charging port on the AC Adaptor is a feature that is also being widely appreciated :)

There are plenty of media and end user reviews out there in the market as we don't expect you take our word for it as such :)

Happy decision making and shopping - let us know if there is anything specific you would like to know about our products.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Hi Atom,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I did narrow down my list to 3, of which the Aero 15 is one of them.

I think my only small concern around the Aero was around the keys being quite clicky and noisy - not great if your studying in a library for example!

Not sure if that’s the case for that reviewers specific keyboard or if it’s a feature of all of them?

Thanks

I've had:
Alienware 15
XPS15

Now on Razer Blade 14

Used to use a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 for work for a few years.

Reason for the Blade... it's the closest thing to a MacBook in build quality... in fact, the keyboard exceeds that of the MBP, especially the latest model.

When spending this much on a laptop, build quality is very important... it's horrible to use something that feels flimsy... like the XPS15.

The Alienwares are built robust - but at the sacrifice of heavy weight - if you're carting around a laptop all day every day - that extra weight gets tiring.

The solid metal frame of the blade makes it feel really solid but the weight isn't there. General office tasks, I get 6-7 hours battery life out of it. The 1060 is good enough for anything I want to throw at a laptop.

The Gigabyte above is getting a lot of interest - but I haven't tried one yet. I'm sure Atom80 can answer this for me - is the outside of the frame metal construction like the Blade or are the bits your touch plastic?

Well the Blade and XPS15 were also on my shortened list. What was your experience with the XPS? In general I thought the XPS range were supposed to be pretty good in terms of build quality ?

Permabanned
Well the Blade and XPS15 were also on my shortened list. What was your experience with the XPS? In general I thought the XPS range were supposed to be pretty good in terms of build quality ?

Compared to a £500 laptop, sure - the XPS has good build quality.

Compare it to the Blade or MacBook and you can tell very quickly just how poor it is.

The soft rubber style plastic palm rest I found particularly gross... although some others don't mind it.

The main thing is that the chassis just doesn't feel strong... past Dell laptops have had a really good longevity - but these feel like they are going to fall apart at a young age - the amount the chassis flexes is quite substantial.

The small power connector that goes into the laptop is so tiny it's easy to break or damage... small can be good, but a laptop's primary cause of death is that internal connector coming loose from its connection points.

The weight balance of it annoyed me... when using it on my laptop, I would often have it feeling like it was going to tilt backwards and roll off my lap... in fact I think it happened once.

The palm rejection of the trackpad (typing and hitting the trackpad by mistake) is the most annoying of any laptop I have ever used... it's really bad and a common problem from other comments I've had about the same laptops.

The 4k screen is quite nice, but utterly pointless and all it does is drain battery life - also windows adaptive scaling is still poor. You would use it in a scaled resolution that has a usable space of 1920x1080...

Gaming at 1920x1080 on a 4k screen looks worse than gaming at 1920x1080 on a 1920x1080 screen.

XPS model is GTX1050 - Blade is 1060... 1060 is a lot better than 1050... 1070 is another good jump up... but the 1060 is certainly enough for me.

I'm sure there are more things... but it was easy to sell and I haven't missed it.

With the blade - all those problems do not exist.

Associate
Hi all,

Razer Blade

Thanks

The Blades have some serious heat control/throttling issues. So compiling, video editing and gaming suffer.

Ask the guy with the Blade to run HWiNFO64 and do some compiling or gaming and show the results.

For your money it's between the Gigabyte and the Alienware; Giga is slimmer and more acceptable in a professional/educational environment and has a better battery life.

Associate
Because you said video editing, i'll chime in with what (work supplied) I use:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CK7Tw43WjtcCFYygUQodo8YAsw

Now, it's above budget, but they can come in lots of configurations so there will be one that suits your needs.

It's not the sexiest, it's not the lightest, under load the battery doesn't last more than a few hours (duh) but it's been damn reliable and it crunches numbers better than it should.

I also like that it's completely modular, and everything is replaceable unlike new machines that are generally glued and painful.

Depends really what your needs are really, but it may be an option worth considering. I'm sure there's an equivalent ThinkPad and Inspiron.

Permabanned
The Blades have some serious heat control/throttling issues. So compiling, video editing and gaming suffer.

Ask the guy with the Blade to run HWiNFO64 and do some compiling or gaming and show the results.

For your money it's between the Gigabyte and the Alienware; Giga is slimmer and more acceptable in a professional/educational environment and has a better battery life.

Previous iterations of the Blade have suffered from what you mention, the current model does not.

Because you said video editing, i'll chime in with what (work supplied) I use:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CK7Tw43WjtcCFYygUQodo8YAsw

Now, it's above budget, but they can come in lots of configurations so there will be one that suits your needs.

It's not the sexiest, it's not the lightest, under load the battery doesn't last more than a few hours (duh) but it's been damn reliable and it crunches numbers better than it should.

I also like that it's completely modular, and everything is replaceable unlike new machines that are generally glued and painful.

Depends really what your needs are really, but it may be an option worth considering. I'm sure there's an equivalent ThinkPad and Inspiron.

HP have a particularly bad history of build quality and fall apart quickly. I always strongly recommend against them - the XPS15 is a better option than the HP.

Associate
Previous iterations of the Blade have suffered from what you mention, the current model does not.

According to multiple owners on NBR and many youtube videos it throttles as bad as it's predecessors.

Edit: undervolting appears to help but should not be required to be used at stock settings.

Permabanned
Not sure what NBR is... but even under gaming load, the fans don't go to 100% and it doesn't throttle. I might run some tests at the weekend if you tell me what to throw at it...

You're aware of the TIM issues on the last ~3 generations of Alienware 15 that mean you have to dismantle it to re-apply TIM to get proper thermals?

Associate
Not sure what NBR is... but even under gaming load, the fans don't go to 100% and it doesn't throttle. I might run some tests at the weekend if you tell me what to throw at it...

You're aware of the TIM issues on the last ~3 generations of Alienware 15 that mean you have to dismantle it to re-apply TIM to get proper thermals?

Run OCCT, then Firestrike use HWiNFO64 to monitor.

I have an AORUS X5V6 but out of OP's price range.

Associate
Having owned both the XPS 15 & the Aero 15 in the past, here are my brief thoughts and comparisons on them during initial hands on approach (Both have excellent performance out of the box):

XPS 15
- Excellent slim bezels & good build quality... Though some examples out there have been known to have the plastic bezel surround separate from the body due to adhesive being poorly applied in the factory.
- great colour production (FHD & 4K).
- Keyboard does take some getting used to with it being centred due to no number pad - though took no time for me and the key presses are soft & nice.
- Always liked the touchpad on these, very smooth operation & the fact it uses Windows p
Precision drivers out of the box is a plus too.
- Love the carbon design & overall feel on the palm rest, not so much of a finger print magnet either.
- One niggle that always sticks out with these is that it takes two hands to open the screen, the hinge is on the slightly stiff side and the lack of a grove in the middle can make it tricky to even attempt to open it to begin with.

Aero 15
- Straight away, massive finger print magnet.
Outside of the laptop when closed & also along the palm rest area.
- Great operation with opening & closing the screen lid with just one hand, lightweight hinge and also really not compromised with any screen wobble.
- Nice slim bezel screen design but not as nice as the XPS 15 IMO, production not up to the same level as Dell & a lot of plastic assembly involved. Also the lower part of the bezel could be a bit thinner, kind of sticks out like a chin.
- Nice and slim for a performance 15" laptop overall, though if anything slightly more square in shape when compared to other slim 15" laptops.
- Keyboard isn't great sadly, I experienced a lot of mistakes with the one I used and found the overall typing experience difficult - all keys I found had some resistance and not as soft to press down when compared to other laptops.
- Mediocre touchpad at best, not a smooth operation and doesn't help anymore by the fact that it uses Synaptics drivers out of the box.
- The screen supplied on these aren't too bad, similar in quality to the FHD used in the XPS 15 in terms of quality & good brightness but the colour isn't quite as good - though it can be improved with a proper calibration tool, don't rely on the X-Rite Pantone calibration. I even found the native / default calibration setting much better than the factory configured X-Rite I had on mine.

I'll add some more info tomorrow that is to do with further performance & thermals during stress testing.

Liam.

Associate
OP
Having owned both the XPS 15 & the Aero 15 in the past, here are my brief thoughts and comparisons on them during initial hands on approach (Both have excellent performance out of the box):

XPS 15
- Excellent slim bezels & good build quality... Though some examples out there have been known to have the plastic bezel surround separate from the body due to adhesive being poorly applied in the factory.
- great colour production (FHD & 4K).
- Keyboard does take some getting used to with it being centred due to no number pad - though took no time for me and the key presses are soft & nice.
- Always liked the touchpad on these, very smooth operation & the fact it uses Windows p
Precision drivers out of the box is a plus too.
- Love the carbon design & overall feel on the palm rest, not so much of a finger print magnet either.
- One niggle that always sticks out with these is that it takes two hands to open the screen, the hinge is on the slightly stiff side and the lack of a grove in the middle can make it tricky to even attempt to open it to begin with.

Aero 15
- Straight away, massive finger print magnet.
Outside of the laptop when closed & also along the palm rest area.
- Great operation with opening & closing the screen lid with just one hand, lightweight hinge and also really not compromised with any screen wobble.
- Nice slim bezel screen design but not as nice as the XPS 15 IMO, production not up to the same level as Dell & a lot of plastic assembly involved. Also the lower part of the bezel could be a bit thinner, kind of sticks out like a chin.
- Nice and slim for a performance 15" laptop overall, though if anything slightly more square in shape when compared to other slim 15" laptops.
- Keyboard isn't great sadly, I experienced a lot of mistakes with the one I used and found the overall typing experience difficult - all keys I found had some resistance and not as soft to press down when compared to other laptops.
- Mediocre touchpad at best, not a smooth operation and doesn't help anymore by the fact that it uses Synaptics drivers out of the box.
- The screen supplied on these aren't too bad, similar in quality to the FHD used in the XPS 15 in terms of quality & good brightness but the colour isn't quite as good - though it can be improved with a proper calibration tool, don't rely on the X-Rite Pantone calibration. I even found the native / default calibration setting much better than the factory configured X-Rite I had on mine.

I'll add some more info tomorrow that is to do with further performance & thermals during stress testing.

Liam.

This is a lot of good information :) I have not bought anything yet so am looking forward to performance and thermals information.

Associate

HP have a particularly bad history of build quality and fall apart quickly. I always strongly recommend against them - the XPS15 is a better option than the HP.

ZBooks or HP's in general? Don't confuse HP retail with HP business.

Associate
This is a lot of good information :) I have not bought anything yet so am looking forward to performance and thermals information.

Here's a summery based on the performance / thermals for both the XPS 15 & Aero 15. However, it must be noted that contrary to what some people really think, both of these laptops are not really classed as proper gaming laptops. Some places may especially push the Aero 15 so that it's aimed at gamers but if you dig deep online and also take a leaf out of other Aero 15 owners on the NBR forum, it has been designed & produced for fast "Content Creation" so to speak. By this I mean video editing and the like. While it may have the 1060, this plays a role within the following. In my opinion, enthusiast gamers should really be focusing on the more expensive Aorus range if they want to stick to Gigabyte / Aorus etc.

It is also a similar case for the XPS 15, while it is similar in specs (apart from the 1050) - again, Dell have and always will promote the XPS range of laptops as "professional". A lot of owners out there get frustrated because of what I'm about to explain, but really, they should be looking into the likes of the Alienware range if they are really gaming focused. At the end of the day - there is only so much both of these laptops can do and it's solely because of the slim profile they both sport, and because of this overall cooling on laptops like these are hindered in favour of the slim profile factor.

XPS 15
- Very quiet operation throughout during light to medium tasks, the fans only really kick in when the CPU is above around 50c. Even then, above & when pushed to the max - the fans are quieter overall than the fans on the Aero 15.
- Sadly Dell did skimp a bit in the SSD department, while other premium brands are generous by supplying the the likes of the superior Samsung SSD's - Dell are known for supplying inferior LITE-ON & Toshiba models (low 2100/1100mb's read & write speeds). The overall read/write speeds on these are much lower than say the Samsung SM961/SM951.

- GTX 1050 (not the Ti version). It must be said the 1050 is the pretty much the "entry level" mobile chip within the pascal range. While it does offer good performance, the 1050Ti & 1060 are still leagues ahead. A lot of XPS 15 owners were disappointed by the fact that Dell did not feature the 1050Ti from launch, but this is because the 1050Ti requires a lot more cooling capacity and unfortunately with the slim profile of the XPS 15, this is not possible. That aside and with my testing - gaming with the likes of GTA V & Battlefield 1 proved to be interesting; On medium or so settings, I was able to maintain a steady 50-55 FPS depending on the environment.

However... after 40 minutes or so with playing either game, the laptop's CPU would start to throttle and monitoring Hardware Monitor would show that it had lowered all 4 x CPU cores from the full 3300mhz capacity right down to around 2400mhz. At the time of when the throttling started, the CPU only maxed out at around 84c which isn't really drastic in terms of peak CPU operating temperatures. However - it's largely reported online that Dell implemented an annoying safety & fail safe feature on these laptops where as soon as the CPU reaches 77c, the laptop will throttle the CPU right down to constantly keep it below 77c, and this is until you shut down or reboot the laptop.

That aside, the true intentions of this feature is to also control & maintain the temperatures of the laptop motherboard "Mosfets". These are what help control and regulate the CPU power & temperatures. It's because these reach a max fail safe temperature reading that kick starts the CPU throttling as well which in turn protects the CPU & Mosfets from frying themselves.

The peak temperature of the GTX 1050 while gaming isn't largely an issue (78c from my tests), however it also must be noted that the heat from the 1050 also affects the CPU temperature because both the CPU & GPU share the same heat pipe. It's largely been carried out online amongst other XPS 15 owners where they have modded their laptops so that they can perform better and without any throttling but a majority of people only get so far and still have to result in using laptops coolers as well etc.

Aero 15
- Excellent out of the box performance, very quick & snappy. Gigabyte are also generous in the SSD department, the one I had came with the Samsung SM961 512GB and displayed test results of 3400/1800mb's read & write speeds.
- The fans on these are a bit louder than the XPS 15 out of the box (spin into life very quickly as soon as the CPU / GPU hits 45c by default), but they can be tweaked with the Gigabyte utility by choosing the "silent" profile which in turn only makes the fans come on when the CPU / GPU hits around 60c.

- GTX 1060. This has to be said that this is the ideal 1080p gaming chip and especially on laptops as well. I was able to maintain a 60 FPS in both GTA V & Battlefield 1 in most environments.

- Overall peak CPU temperatures I experienced when testing showed that it did reach around 87c when gaming, and around 77c from the GPU. However... I didn't really experience any throttling with the Aero 15 which was quite impressive but at the same time, the laptop does kick out a hell of a lot heat from where the fan exhausts are based (top of the laptop, right under the bezel). This in turn also makes the entire keyboard very warm when in operation and can be mildly uncomfortable overall, the underneath part of the laptop is very hot during as well. A laptop cooler is definitely a must for the Aero 15 if you're intending to use it for gaming just so it cools down the chassis overall more importantly (with it being all aluminium - this does not help matters either). It must also be noted that both laptop fans are very loud when pushed to the max.

While the Aero 15 may perform better in this department and for longer periods, I still don't see it as a gaming all rounder and sadly this is because of how hot it gets when pushed to it's peak and it generally just feels uncomfortable with the amount of heat it creates overall. Other bigger, bulkier & more enthusiast gaming laptops have much better cooling capacity which can help to control & regulate the head dissipation & overall distribution... while at the same time keeping the chassis temperature much cooler.

I'm not really a gamer anymore as I don't find the time but if I had to go back to either laptops - for me it would be the Dell XPS 15. For my needs it ticks all the boxes and overall it's just that little bit better in terms of build quality, looks, feel & portability.

Liam.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here's a summery based on the performance / thermals for both the XPS 15 & Aero 15. However, it must be noted that contrary to what some people really think, both of these laptops are not really classed as proper gaming laptops. Some places may especially push the Aero 15 so that it's aimed at gamers but if you dig deep online and also take a leaf out of other Aero 15 owners on the NBR forum, it has been designed & produced for fast "Content Creation" so to speak. By this I mean video editing and the like. While it may have the 1060, this plays a role within the following. In my opinion, enthusiast gamers should really be focusing on the more expensive Aorus range if they want to stick to Gigabyte / Aorus etc.

It is also a similar case for the XPS 15, while it is similar in specs (apart from the 1050) - again, Dell have and always will promote the XPS range of laptops as "professional". A lot of owners out there get frustrated because of what I'm about to explain, but really, they should be looking into the likes of the Alienware range if they are really gaming focused. At the end of the day - there is only so much both of these laptops can do and it's solely because of the slim profile they both sport, and because of this overall cooling on laptops like these are hindered in favour of the slim profile factor.

XPS 15
- Very quiet operation throughout during light to medium tasks, the fans only really kick in when the CPU is above around 50c. Even then, above & when pushed to the max - the fans are quieter overall than the fans on the Aero 15.
- Sadly Dell did skimp a bit in the SSD department, while other premium brands are generous by supplying the the likes of the superior Samsung SSD's - Dell are known for supplying inferior LITE-ON & Toshiba models (low 2100/1100mb's read & write speeds). The overall read/write speeds on these are much lower than say the Samsung SM961/SM951.

- GTX 1050 (not the Ti version). It must be said the 1050 is the pretty much the "entry level" mobile chip within the pascal range. While it does offer good performance, the 1050Ti & 1060 are still leagues ahead. A lot of XPS 15 owners were disappointed by the fact that Dell did not feature the 1050Ti from launch, but this is because the 1050Ti requires a lot more cooling capacity and unfortunately with the slim profile of the XPS 15, this is not possible. That aside and with my testing - gaming with the likes of GTA V & Battlefield 1 proved to be interesting; On medium or so settings, I was able to maintain a steady 50-55 FPS depending on the environment.

However... after 40 minutes or so with playing either game, the laptop's CPU would start to throttle and monitoring Hardware Monitor would show that it had lowered all 4 x CPU cores from the full 3300mhz capacity right down to around 2400mhz. At the time of when the throttling started, the CPU only maxed out at around 84c which isn't really drastic in terms of peak CPU operating temperatures. However - it's largely reported online that Dell implemented an annoying safety & fail safe feature on these laptops where as soon as the CPU reaches 77c, the laptop will throttle the CPU right down to constantly keep it below 77c, and this is until you shut down or reboot the laptop.

That aside, the true intentions of this feature is to also control & maintain the temperatures of the laptop motherboard "Mosfets". These are what help control and regulate the CPU power & temperatures. It's because these reach a max fail safe temperature reading that kick starts the CPU throttling as well which in turn protects the CPU & Mosfets from frying themselves.

The peak temperature of the GTX 1050 while gaming isn't largely an issue (78c from my tests), however it also must be noted that the heat from the 1050 also affects the CPU temperature because both the CPU & GPU share the same heat pipe. It's largely been carried out online amongst other XPS 15 owners where they have modded their laptops so that they can perform better and without any throttling but a majority of people only get so far and still have to result in using laptops coolers as well etc.

Aero 15
- Excellent out of the box performance, very quick & snappy. Gigabyte are also generous in the SSD department, the one I had came with the Samsung SM961 512GB and displayed test results of 3400/1800mb's read & write speeds.
- The fans on these are a bit louder than the XPS 15 out of the box (spin into life very quickly as soon as the CPU / GPU hits 45c by default), but they can be tweaked with the Gigabyte utility by choosing the "silent" profile which in turn only makes the fans come on when the CPU / GPU hits around 60c.

- GTX 1060. This has to be said that this is the ideal 1080p gaming chip and especially on laptops as well. I was able to maintain a 60 FPS in both GTA V & Battlefield 1 in most environments.

- Overall peak CPU temperatures I experienced when testing showed that it did reach around 87c when gaming, and around 77c from the GPU. However... I didn't really experience any throttling with the Aero 15 which was quite impressive but at the same time, the laptop does kick out a hell of a lot heat from where the fan exhausts are based (top of the laptop, right under the bezel). This in turn also makes the entire keyboard very warm when in operation and can be mildly uncomfortable overall, the underneath part of the laptop is very hot during as well. A laptop cooler is definitely a must for the Aero 15 if you're intending to use it for gaming just so it cools down the chassis overall more importantly (with it being all aluminium - this does not help matters either). It must also be noted that both laptop fans are very loud when pushed to the max.

While the Aero 15 may perform better in this department and for longer periods, I still don't see it as a gaming all rounder and sadly this is because of how hot it gets when pushed to it's peak and it generally just feels uncomfortable with the amount of heat it creates overall. Other bigger, bulkier & more enthusiast gaming laptops have much better cooling capacity which can help to control & regulate the head dissipation & overall distribution... while at the same time keeping the chassis temperature much cooler.

I'm not really a gamer anymore as I don't find the time but if I had to go back to either laptops - for me it would be the Dell XPS 15. For my needs it ticks all the boxes and overall it's just that little bit better in terms of build quality, looks, feel & portability.

Liam.

Thanks again :)

This might be a bit of a strange question - but what is the keyboard noise like when typing for both options? Seen a few reports on the Gigabyte that the keyboard makes a lot of noise when typing which I dont think would be particularly suitable for Uni lectures/Libraries etc. I don't have any store close by where I can actually go look at a Aero and get a feel for the keyboard and its noise!.

Essentially the gaming side of the machine is not going to be the main purpose - I want it to be there for when I need it, but more so its the Uni related stuff that will be the main focus of it.

Soldato
Recently (last 6 months) I’ve owned:

MBPr 13
Alienware 15
XPS15
MBP Touch bar 15

Alienware was nice, pretty quiet under load compared to many other laptops on the market, but fans wouldn’t really ever turn off. Screen was lovely though. Really really lovely colours. But went back because of a faulty hard drive Dell refused to fix without me sending it away for a few weeks. Then took weeks to refund me.

XPS was a disaster. Horrendous screen by comparison, with terrible uniformity issues (literally orange one side and pink the other). Poor WiFi due to using killer WiFi. Abysmal customer service, who refused to come and fix the machine because I bought it from JL.

The mac is lovely - I made a thread on it. Battery life on safari is top notch, but otherwise average. Super quiet at all times. Screen is second to none. But it’s not perfect. The keyboard is okay, but I really struggle to type on it. To the point where it’s a chore now. I’m having to really change my way of typing, as through practice, I’m a touch typist. I don’t like the fake click on the trackpad. It’s not consistent, and you can’t always tel you’ve clicked it in. Tracking is perfect though. It’s definitey too big!

The mac is my favourite machine, because while specs aren’t the best, the experience the machine offers is. It just works. No headaches or anything. Just open it up and go.

Back
Top Bottom