The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Associate
Am off to Anglesey this weekend for a week, hopefully they'll get some use.

Matt

You decided where you are going on Anglesey?

Some good locations are -

Newborough Beach and the nearby Llanddwyn Island (which has some stunning views back towards the main coast, Two lighthouses, a ruined Church and some Pilots cottages). If you do go to the Island when you reach it head round the path to the right hand side (trust me the views are better).
Aberffraw village and the nearby Cwyfan Church (the Church in the Sea)
Southstack (for the Lighthouse)
Beamaris and the nearby Penmon Lighthouse (with Penmon Priory)
Also pop into the Village of Menai Bridge. There are some good views of the Menai bridge from a coastal path just off Beach Road and there is a very old church called St. Tysilio's Church on a small island nearby in the Menai Straight.
Parys Mountain for the old Copper workings is worth a visit as well.
Oh almost forgot there are two wrecks at a location called Dulas Bay (its on the West Coast just north of Molfre. If you decide to go there, you'll see Dulas Village on the map and a Church on a lane leading down the Beach OS Grid Ref 53.378789, -4.290957 follow the lane down and you'll see the two boats.

This book is also worth getting if you ever revisit the area. The photo on the front page is one of Llanddwyn Islands Lighthouses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...851&sr=8-1&keywords=photographing+north+wales

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve just ordered a PL 12-60 f2.8-4, anyone got any experience with this lens? I’m torn between it and the 12-35 F2.8. The 12-60 seems to sacrifice a small amount of speed toward 35mm in exchange for a fair bit more reach. Sharpness looks similar as is price.

One thing I didn’t initially appreciate is the 12-60 drops very quickly to f3.5.

The other option is the Olympus 12-40 f2.8 which is cheaper than both and probably the sharpest. I lose all dual IS support though.

Was looking for a WR lens for a Disneyland trip next month. I’ve got the 14-140 mk II for general travel purposes but it’s not weather resistant.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Gh5 for video em1.2 for stills.

But yest day Panasonic tester posted up details of the new Panasonic g9. New sensor, 80MP hi res shots like the em1.2, 60fps.

Should match the em1.2 in all areas and maybe even beat it in some and should be cheaper.

Associate
Gh5 for video em1.2 for stills.

But yest day Panasonic tester posted up details of the new Panasonic g9. New sensor, 80MP hi res shots like the em1.2, 60fps.

Should match the em1.2 in all areas and maybe even beat it in some and should be cheaper.

Ooo that’ll be interesting. I’ve got the G80 and I’m finding that I’m using that far more than my FF Nikon setup, mainly because of the size and the EVF.

If the new G9 has something similar to Pro Capture and live composite that’d be fantastic.

Soldato
Details here.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-new-panasonic-g9-80-mb-shooting-mode-60-frame-burst/

Not much yet but should be an interesting camera. 24mp sensor as well

Panasonic really need to nail their AF so its near dual pixel AF on Canon or Sony's AF. I find apart from low light performance, thats my biggest issue with my G85 and the reason I'm hesitant to drop too much money on panny glass.

I'm looking for a 12-35mm atm. Some good deals were on ebay around £400 a few months ago but prices seem to be back to £500 now which sucks. I thought the v2 of the lens would have brought prices down. I'd personally take the extra bit of aperture over the 12-60 as I have the kit lens 12-60 which is a meh option if I need a more versatile reach.

My wants list for my g85:
12-35mm f2.8
35-100mm f2.8
42.5mm f1.7

If I can grab those 3, I'll be very happy as the small size of this beauty means even if I delve into the Sony or Canon glass, I'm happy to keep around the lighter setup.

Sony = lack of articulating screen + poor battery life
Panasonic = poor low light (in exchange for awesome light weight size) + bad video AF
Canon = no 4k videol, holding back a tonne of features
@around the 1k point

If anyone can inform me of any decent sales for those 3, it'd be much appreciated. I try to keep an eye on ebay but getting no joy.

I'm betting on none of those 3 fixing their cameras next year.

Associate
If anyone can inform me of any decent sales for those 3, it'd be much appreciated. I try to keep an eye on ebay but getting no joy.

I'm betting on none of those 3 fixing their cameras next year.

If you're happy to 'go grey' then the 12-35 f2.8 ii can be had for less than £600 which is a huge saving (which I'm strongly considering myself). You'll be waiting a week or so for delivery. In terms of autofocus - I'm using single point AF on my G80 and its the best of a bad bunch of options really - certainly not ideal. Focus peaking does make manual focus pretty easy though and I'm used to using MF coming from using the D750 for a bit of video so it's no big deal unless you're vlogging.

The 42.5 f1.7 seems to hold its value really well, again if you go grey its less than £250 but for the sake of £50 I'd probably just pick it up from the local camera shop or the rainforest.

Soldato
Panasonic really need to nail their AF so its near dual pixel AF on Canon or Sony's AF. I find apart from low light performance, thats my biggest issue with my G85 and the reason I'm hesitant to drop too much money on panny glass.
Olympus sure has good feeling AF in E-M1 MkII.
Just better to limit amount of AF points used from that ridiculous amount...
Because camera doesn't know what you're thinking and can decide that some other detail looks best target to focus.
Though nothing similar to (Konica)Minolta Dimage A2's "Center avoidance" AF:
Which had obsession to find some grass/tree branch/twig etc near edges, no matter how good target there was in center.

Really for as long as Panasonic insists on just trying to measure amount of blurriness they're going to stay behind.
All that can never give as fast accurate information for where to move focus as phase detection.
For start both back and front focus cause similar blurring/contrast decrease.
And if target's distance keeps changing that's another major complication, unless focus sampling rate/focus movement speed is enough faster.

These have about the best visualizations of operating principles of CDAD and PDAF.
http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs178/applets/autofocusCD.html
http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs178/applets/autofocusPD.html

Was looking for a WR lens for a Disneyland trip next month. I’ve got the 14-140 mk II for general travel purposes but it’s not weather resistant.
While really average in aperture m.Zuiko 12-100 is really nice general purpose zoom for minimizing lens swap need with rain expected.
(though after 4/3 Pana Leica 14-150mm long end is shorter feeling)
Had it few times "sniffing" rain in what little few thunderstorms there were in late summer... Or in that miserable excuse for summer.
With snow on ground now maybe there's finally going to be normal winter so that there's warmth left for next summer in "annual heat budget".

Month ago in storm chaser meeting heard about less succesful use of standard non-WR Canon/Nikon lens in rain:
Lens turned to manual focus lens...

Soldato
yup panny need to sort out their AF and doubt they will. its really really hard when you ask someone else to film using it whilst I can imagine handing over a sony or canon and smacking it in AF mode will be much more user friendly.

I think ergonomics wise that articulating flip screen is just so strong. I might end up buying the next Sony camera or Canon 90D if it has 4k video tho and keeping the G85 for the times when I need that articulating screen.

Soldato
Can't say as I've had any instances of poor AF performance during stills use on my G85, but then I don't try to capture fast moving objects or use AFC.

I'm fully aware the video AF of Panasonic cameras (even including the GH5 with latest FW) leaves something to be desired. Hopefully, they're working on a hybrid PDAF/DFD system that we'll see next year.

Caporegime
Is was underwhelmed when I tried c-AF on my GX8 but recently I tried c-AF with tracking and it worked really very well. Much better than using an AF box.

Video AF is pretty junk though.

My Oly 12-40 Pro just arrived, it’s a hefty chunk! Going to sell my 9-18 as I don’t use it much and don’t really like it’s output.

Soldato
My Oly 12-40 Pro just arrived, it’s a hefty chunk! Going to sell my 9-18 as I don’t use it much and don’t really like it’s output.
You should try handling m.Zuiko 7-14mm if you think 12-40mm is chunky.:p

As for 9-18mm it's that small and compact basic lens so you can't expect much from it.
For example Lumix G 7-14mm would also give wider FOV.
Though it lacks weather sealing and AR coatings have been done too cheaply, and turn reflective around 410nm...
Causing major internal lens reflections problem in Olympus bodies lacking agressive 420nm UV filter in sensor stack.
Leica DG 8-18mm again is better with proper AR coatings and weather sealing besides giving f/2.8 at wide end. (+ reasonable weight)

Back
Top Bottom