• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA GTX 1070Ti NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER FROM £419.99 **

Associate
The worst part about these prices is that everything is parity now. It's the reason i refuse to spend £400/500+ on a GPU. What's the point if devs aren't taking advantage of it.

Playing souped up console ports isn't enough to justify the extra cost. Games would look very different if they were developed for PC first and taking advantage of the powerful hardware.

I've always maintained the view that Nvidia/AMD should have their own game studios and create games that push these cards to the limit. But they won't. Sadly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1060s should be in the £200-300 range
1070s in the £300-350 range
1070Ti in the £350-430 range
1080 in the £430-550 range

Oh well. PS - figures picked from thin air but think they are relatively fair.

Associate

And you made this "fair" assessment how? You're not the one doing any kind of work, you're not doing R&D, you don't have employees, you don't have stakeholders. What do you know about a price being fair? All you have to do is work an extra hour and a half to afford buying the next tier of cards. Let's stop this "fair" thing and see the big picture shall we?

Caporegime
I did say I plucked them out of thin air in the whole of 20 seconds I put thought into it.

NVidia have barely any competition and have shown us they are quite comfortable at charging anything they want.

Soldato

I think those prices are way too expensive for the performance and hardware on offer.

Associate
I did say I plucked them out of thin air in the whole of 20 seconds I put thought into it.

I know, but I do wonder, of all the people that do nothing but complain, how many have actually built something themselves, how many built a company of their own? It's so easy to act hurt on a forum, not so easy when it comes to actually doing something. This applies to AMD as well, they might have made some mistakes, they keep making the same mistakes, but at least they are trying, I don't see many doing that.

Associate
Agreed, £100 off each of those and would be fair imo. I am done with spending big money on graphics cards I think. Just purchased a house so funds have to go elsewhere. Good job my 980ti's are still doing well. :)

Caporegime
Perhaps but prices have to be a little higher than normal due to other influences (mining, Brexit etc.).

I know, but I do wonder, of all the people that do nothing but complain, how many have actually built something themselves, how many built a company of their own? It's so easy to act hurt on a forum, not so easy when it comes to actually doing something. This applies to AMD as well, they might have made some mistakes, they keep making the same mistakes, but at least they are trying, I don't see many doing that.

I am not hurt or really complaining, just offering my 2 cents. There has been very little incentive to upgrade my 290 which cost me £349 almost 4 year ago! It runs hot and loud but as the years come by it does seem more and more of a great purchase.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are a lot of factors that affect the pricing, Nvidia trying to make more money isn't one of them.

Brexit has added a little, but component cost price rises are the biggest culprits.
Smartphones are sucking out large amounts of the limited capacity for CPU and ram production which in turn increases the price. And unfortunately it take billions of dollars and many years to build a fab, so you can't just increase capacity.

So blame people that buy a new smartphone every year for you expensive GPUs. :)

Soldato
Oh well this sucks big time, I mistook the 1070ti to be a not quite as good 1080ti so was all up for buying it, didn't realise it was worse than a normal 1080 - boooo RUBBISH.

At that price for almost a 1080, having a laugh, should be what I thought it was at around the price it is............my 980ti is still pretty much as fast as it, especially as my 980ti is overclocked.

Caporegime

If anything not fair - or realistic - for the majority of gamers.

And you made this "fair" assessment how? You're not the one doing any kind of work, you're not doing R&D, you don't have employees, you don't have stakeholders. What do you know about a price being fair? All you have to do is work an extra hour and a half to afford buying the next tier of cards. Let's stop this "fair" thing and see the big picture shall we?

Looking at Nvidia’s results, they are hardly running tight margins nor struggling for revenue by any stretch, good for them you may think?

I personally think they are just killing the Golden Goose slowly but surely.

I say this because I bought my first 1070 back in June for £299 and frankly for the performance I didn’t think it worth it but prices were already going up and I wasn’t going to pay more, indeed my second cost me far less than that!

I have plenty of gamer friends who have either been into pc gaming and given up as costs are getting silly or equally friends who want to get into gaming but won’t on principle spend the cost of a current gen console on a mid range card before factoring in all the other kit needed to build a gaming rig, I’m talking guys in my peer group, late 30’s upward most with plenty of disposable income but equally the types who’ve worked hard for what they have and won’t be fleeced for a few hours a week on Battlefield or whatever which is the reality of gaming for people like me who work, have families and other activities vying for our limited free time.

Two of my most avid gamer mates have both upgraded recently but both went from last gen cards like the GTX 680 to 980ti but second hand as costs were cheaper and performance nigh as good, I know of others thinking of doing the same.

Those that don’t want to upgrade their whole rig are going console as frankly most of the current games are ports anyway, it adds up to lots of potential sales lost.

Pc gaming is slowly being killed off by lack of competition led greed and eventually Nvidia will find sales of GPU’s dropping as people who want to game go console and those that are casual gamers at best walk away from what’s becoming a very expensive pastime.

Caporegime

NVidia have barely any competition and have shown us they are quite comfortable at charging anything they want.
AMD have a heap load of competition and have shown they are quite comfortable at charging anything they want.

Back
Top Bottom