• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
File it as a bug report.

its in the known bugs list already

And here are the known issues in this driver for users on Windows 10 to keep an eye out for:

• (SLI, GeForce GTX 780 Ti): There is no display output when connecting the DisplayPort and two DVI monitors.
  • (GeForce TITAN (Kepler-based)): The OS fails after installing the graphics card on a Threadripper-enabled motherboard.
  • (Windows 10 Fall Creators Update): Color settings made in the NVIDIA Control Panel are not preserved across a system reboot or restart.

Soldato
I have very obvious stuttering and FPS drops with 388.13 unless I close all hardware monitoring programs (I use hwinfo64, just disabling GPU monitoring is also sufficient). Also, for the first time ever 3dmark is stuttering annoyingly. I have to disable Scan Systeminfo and Systeminfo Hardware Monitoring in the 3dmark settings as well as close all monitoring programs for it to run smoothly. This did not happen with 387.92 (last one I tried) and older.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
FPS counters everywhere when all I want them to be is ingame :(
You're not the only one, I've had it on several apps, including Spotify. Turning off hardware acceleration fixed that but its still present in Filebot and several others.

I've seen others reporting it happening in OBS, Twitch app, Photoshop, Discord and others.

There are several ongoing threads on the NV forums and Reddit.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...owing-in-non-game-applications-ie-discord-/4/

Associate
since 388.00 i've had problems updating through GFE, the installation seems to get stuck and then it says that the installation failed. then when i reboot the device is in a failed state.

i am running a modded bios on a 980, but my understanding was if this was a problem i wouldn't be able to install the drivers at all. i can install the drivers if i download them from the website and do a 'normal' install. from what i remember 387.92 installed fine from GFE as well. the main thing that has changed since 387.92 is i stuck a new mobo and CPU in (8700k). everything else seems to work fine though :confused:.

Soldato
For a while now, I always update my gpu drivers (really applies to any driver) with my network cable unplugged.

Windows 10 will be trying to download and install it's own driver whilst you are trying to install a driver at the same time and I've had epic corruption caused by this.

Download drivers, unplug ethernet, uninstall drivers then install new ones.

Plug back cable.

Soldato
For a while now, I always update my gpu drivers (really applies to any driver) with my network cable unplugged.

Windows 10 will be trying to download and install it's own driver whilst you are trying to install a driver at the same time and I've had epic corruption caused by this.

Plug back cable.

I just double click the new driver and install over the top of the old one.
Never had an issue

Soldato

Plug back cable.

DDU (Driver Display Uninstaller) Stops Windows from doing any of that.

Soldato
I have a strange problem with installing the Nvidia drivers after version 385.69. The system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 980TI SLI with a Predator X34 Gsync monitor.

I installed 388.00 with no errors during it but upon reboot the login screen had some vertical and horizontal lines, as if it was segmenting the screen in to 16 blocks. Once logged in the Nvidia control panel was no where to be seen. Geforce Experience loaded but didn't do anything after that.

So I've tried various versions of the drivers:

385.69 Works perfectly
387.92 Doesn't work
388.00 Doesn't work
388.13 Doesn't work

I've used DDU in safe mode during each uninstall and a 'clean installation' each time, all to no avail.

If it wasn't for Wolfenstien's stupid driver check stopping it from running I'd stick with 385.69. In the meantime I'll see if I can disable Wolfenstien's driver check, see if there's any windows update that causing issues and try unplugging the network cable during install as suggest here.

It's the first time I've ever had problems with Nvidia drivers. I've tried googling for an answer but found nothing, so anything you guys can suggest would be great!

Soldato
I have a strange problem with installing the Nvidia drivers after version 385.69. The system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 980TI SLI with a Predator X34 Gsync monitor.

I installed 388.00 with no errors during it but upon reboot the login screen had some vertical and horizontal lines, as if it was segmenting the screen in to 16 blocks. Once logged in the Nvidia control panel was no where to be seen. Geforce Experience loaded but didn't do anything after that.

So I've tried various versions of the drivers:

385.69 Works perfectly
387.92 Doesn't work
388.00 Doesn't work
388.13 Doesn't work

I've used DDU in safe mode during each uninstall and a 'clean installation' each time, all to no avail.

If it wasn't for Wolfenstien's stupid driver check stopping it from running I'd stick with 385.69. In the meantime I'll see if I can disable Wolfenstien's driver check, see if there's any windows update that causing issues and try unplugging the network cable during install as suggest here.

It's the first time I've ever had problems with Nvidia drivers. I've tried googling for an answer but found nothing, so anything you guys can suggest would be great!

Using a modded bios by anychance?

Just been thru this crap myself

Soldato
Highlight game in Library -> right-click "Properties" -> click "Set Launch Options" - enter +r_disableDriverVersionCheck 1"

Cheers for that, gets me back in the game for now.

Using a modded bios by anychance?

Just been thru this crap myself

I do as it happens! Is this the cause? Is there any workaround or will I have to flash my bios back to original to install the drivers?

Soldato
Cheers for that, gets me back in the game for now.

I do as it happens! Is this the cause? Is there any workaround or will I have to flash my bios back to original to install the drivers?

Yes read back thru the thread. Nvidia basically screwed us.

It took me a few attempts but i found a bios that works and you lets you install the drivers.

If you would like it let me know and ill send it over. Cant get as high clocks as i was before due to lower voltage limit but still get 1510mhz on both cards lost about 50mhz

Soldato
Yes read back thru the thread. Nvidia basically screwed us.

It took me a few attempts but i found a bios that works and you lets you install the drivers.

If you would like it let me know and ill send it over. Cant get as high clocks as i was before due to lower voltage limit but still get 1510mhz on both cards lost about 50mhz

That was nice of Nvidia.

I'll have to go back and read through the thread, it has got quite long!

Your bios would be great thanks. I thought my bios tweaking days were over with Maxwell. Here's a quick screencap of my oc'd bios, and now that you've identified the likely issue and done a bit more research I think I know the setting that's causing the problem (P02 default set to high).

y4mpltkB7TDDsKRjzYCAAkgMcB0_pQZuPcRu9bqTS6824pALTV-X-RMgRw1_oKPJ0ss8llnRUxD8iXlwtYpo-5toi1NVGl01CkGz_y0l_JahcpFR1dx7Hin9uMZFp9IbVnmWm6Q8lRvdFwI0bryIobTS-rNrMJt80DjFEuAz4b4jWsrRSuHZ5DVv1ecv9nwtjFwUWQTQEa90ZqMVfM0D0d7CQ

Just for info, my 980Ti's are MSI reference (not EVGA as indicated above) and water cooled hence the 1.28v. They aren't particularly great overclockers at only 1392MHz though.

Soldato
That was nice of Nvidia.

I'll have to go back and read through the thread, it has got quite long!

Your bios would be great thanks. I thought my bios tweaking days were over with Maxwell. Here's a quick screencap of my oc'd bios, and now that you've identified the likely issue and done a bit more research I think I know the setting that's causing the problem (P02 default set to high).

y4mpltkB7TDDsKRjzYCAAkgMcB0_pQZuPcRu9bqTS6824pALTV-X-RMgRw1_oKPJ0ss8llnRUxD8iXlwtYpo-5toi1NVGl01CkGz_y0l_JahcpFR1dx7Hin9uMZFp9IbVnmWm6Q8lRvdFwI0bryIobTS-rNrMJt80DjFEuAz4b4jWsrRSuHZ5DVv1ecv9nwtjFwUWQTQEa90ZqMVfM0D0d7CQ

Just for info, my 980Ti's are MSI reference (not EVGA as indicated above) and water cooled hence the 1.28v. They aren't particularly great overclockers at only 1392MHz though.

That looks like the exact same bios i was using before this debacle as mine are wc also but i got 1560mhz @1276mv on both :)

Trust me a message and ill email you the bios

Edit :- fyi my cards are refrence manli’s it makes no difference which manufactures bios you use :)

Last edited:
Soldato
So I reflashed to the original bios and the 388.13 drivers installed fine. Why Nvidia thought it a good idea to pee off those who overclock their cards in this manner is beyond me. I can imagine there's a few folk out there that bought second hand cards not knowing they were modded currently scratching their heads. I always put my cards back to stock when I sell them, but still.

Looking at my overclock I thought that was a bit low. Before flashing the bios yonks ago I could get 1480MHz max on the gpu and 7800MHz on the ram. Now that I've got a few bios samples I think it's tinker time again! Cheers for your offer NoobCannon, I reckon I'm set with the files I've got.

Permabanned
Its a bad move but it does not stop Modded Bios only if the file size exceeds a certain size and I always flash back to stock to sell my cards.

Soldato
Its a bad move but it does not stop Modded Bios only if the file size exceeds a certain size and I always flash back to stock to sell my cards.

From what I've read and with the files I've got, it's stopping people setting the minimum clock in the P00 or P02 state. The modded bios I was running with and the stock bios I flashed back to were the exact same file size of 225KB.

You're right about flashing to stock when selling on, it's always a good thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom