£400 Budget gaming pc possible?

Associate
Hi guys, I have a friend who wants to build a gaming pc and has a budget of about £400. I tried to spec him something but im not too sure of what to advise him. He mainly plays simulation games like cities skylines, sim city, fm and he doesnt need peripherals or a monitor. Can anyone spec something for that budget +/-£50. Thanks.

Soldato
I tried to base it around a new Ryzen system, However it seemed to go over budget by a bit to much... INTEL works out cheaper and the CPU is a great performer, You could always look at the clearance section on OCUK and get some good deals to save a bit of cash,

Soldato
You won’t do it unless you go old FM2(+) which wouldn’t be worth while, not to the level of the games required.

You are best off to buy a used system that has an FX 6300 or FX 8350 if it must be amd or a 1155 socket i5 3***K or an 1150 socket i5 K if not the middle man of an i3 of some kind, the graphics cards in these systems Will vary from low end to mid end to highish end so look and choose wisely.

Though this could be a suitable contender to get you going, never played GTA5 on pc, but I have had an i3 that this pentium performs like and did well in demanding games, there isn’t enough budget for a graphics card new, but you will be able to find capable cards even older ones on the used market, but if you need windows then either need to buy a used system or find it cheap somewhere.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £353.96
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato
I tried to base it around a new Ryzen system, However it seemed to go over budget by a bit to much... INTEL works out cheaper and the CPU is a great performer, You could always look at the clearance section on OCUK and get some good deals to save a bit of cash,

You quoted an out of stock processor and are you sure he H110 skylake boards will have bios support for kabylake? Last time I looked you needed at least a b250 board.

Soldato
@hakank68
@ExoMale looks solid , you could jump on OCUK deal now for Z270 version at a discount which will bring you to the £400 limit- just means in 2 odd years you can stick an i7 K cheaply off ebay to give the system more life or if your friend gets the Gaming Bug hard!

Total: £115.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

^^^ignore the £6 added for shipping

well worth it personally - bit more future proof - also might be easier to sell in future if the gaming bug didnt bite :(

Associate
OP
You won’t do it unless you go old FM2(+) which wouldn’t be worth while, not to the level of the games required.

You are best off to buy a used system that has an FX 6300 or FX 8350 if it must be amd or a 1155 socket i5 3***K or an 1150 socket i5 K if not the middle man of an i3 of some kind, the graphics cards in these systems Will vary from low end to mid end to highish end so look and choose wisely.

Though this could be a suitable contender to get you going, never played GTA5 on pc, but I have had an i3 that this pentium performs like and did well in demanding games, there isn’t enough budget for a graphics card new, but you will be able to find capable cards even older ones on the used market, but if you need windows then either need to buy a used system or find it cheap somewhere.

Total: £353.96
(includes shipping: £11.10)

thanks for the specs, I think a total of £353 will be great and will leave some room for an ssd. Would you say the onboard gpu will be able to handle the games? He currently plays a lot of fm on a macbook pro 2015 and apparently its very slow on that.

Soldato
Just realised I mentioned GTA5 and you didn’t ha, but For Sim city if you mean 2013 version then think I tried that on intel hd4400 and was okay, but I quoted you skylake/kabylake which has been shown to some extent running GTA5 fairly well, but that sim city isn’t really that demanding, skyline probably isn’t so much either, but you could pick up an old gtx 460-650 for under £50 if you look around, would be more than enough for those simulated games.

Soldato
skylines..... 16GB of ram..... unless you play just the base game, no DLC or mods added - use 14GB standard in my games... why i know have 32GB and havent installed latest patches or DLC :D

Soldato
Really? That’s a lot of memory usage for that game, surely shouldn’t be that taxing?

its all the assets being dropped into the game- as well as some modders using the max amount available to them to create lovely buildings or a poor implemented bus! haha

then you've got all the path ways of the set max number of agents going across the cities- to be honest you can do 16GB just fine with default number of tiles. its when you use mod to unlock all 30 odd tiles over 9/12 that it pushes everything to the max!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom